• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Britain’s steam trains could soon be powered by POO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlington

The Sun, an extremely reliable source of railway information o_O reports:
Scientists have worked out how to turn human, and food, waste into synthetic coal to replace fossil fuels on locos.
The “biocoal” is produced by pressurising sewage under water at 250°C before condensing it into solid lumps.
The smokeless alternative was successfully tested on a line in West Yorks and may be adopted by the Heritage Railways Association.
A comment from a train fireman follows:
shovelling the biocoal involved a completely different technique. He said: “You’ve got to make sure you get it really hot to start with.”
How do you pre-heat the biocoal? With an ordinary coal fire, I presume :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Wilde

Excellent news! When the tech is fully developed we can look forward to on-train processing; with the effluent from the train toilets all plumbed to an on-train biocoal producing plant, and then a conveyor belt to the tender.

Almost a perpetual "motion" system in fact! So it might also catch on as a 22nd century power source for Network Rail trains.

Of course all those traditional notices in the loos warning people not to use them in stations would have to be changed ... to something like "It is now COMPULSORY for all passengers to use this loo before the train leaves the station".

Well done The Sun.

341o2

Established Member
Recently Southern Locomotives Ltd had an April Fools item in that 34010 Sidmouth was being converted to use fatburgers removed from the local sewers.

MarkyT

Established Member
Excellent news! When the tech is fully developed we can look forward to on-train processing; with the effluent from the train toilets all plumbed to an on-train biocoal producing plant, and then a conveyor belt to the tender.

Almost a perpetual "motion" system in fact! So it might also catch on as a 22nd century power source for Network Rail trains.

Of course all those traditional notices in the loos warning people not to use them in stations would have to be changed ... to something like "It is now COMPULSORY for all passengers to use this loo before the train leaves the station".
Endless complimentary snacks with a very high fibre content will need to be offered along with plenty of strong coffee to encourage the desired 'behaviour'.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
So the trains will quite literally be going like s*** off a shovel :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Well... it would stop the waste tanks filling up so quickly!

AndyY1951

Don't forget that if you consider the situation on a global scale, everything we eat and drink and breathe is composed of molecules which have passed through countless other creatures.........

Andy

VEP3417

i quite like the smell of a steam engine......for the moment anyway o_O:lol:

im sure theres a joke about a brown 5 (black 5) in there somewhere :lol:

Roast Veg

Established Member
With POO in all capitals as per the thread title, my fear was that preserved railways will soon be entering Passenger Only Operation.

Mikw

Poo into coal! That's a great way to end the energy crisis - just wat All Bran and use it to hear the home. fuel the car, power the steam train.

Good for out creaking sewer system as well.

Spartacus

Established Member
You just know what the firemen are going to get nicknamed…

I wonder if it will encourage lineside vegetation growth?

It’s a brave man who first hoses out the ashpan!

Grumbler

If we get regular power cuts again as we did in the 1970s, people will be buying up poo coal for domestic heating and cooking.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm sure I've read about a narrow-gauge mineral line in the high Andes long ago: whose locos burned, as a regular practice, a mixture of dried moss and dried llama dung.

DJ_K666

I wouldn’t want a fry up cooked on that shovel.
Maybe they'll use a different shovel for that. As long as they don't forget which is which of course.

Endless complimentary snacks with a very high fibre content will need to be offered along with plenty of strong coffee to encourage the desired 'behaviour'.
Maybe an enhanced selection of the spicier take-away variety too. Turned ip to ring-stinger proportions. It'd certainly help reduce wear on the seat moquettes...

Seriously though I know they're using recycled rubbish so all this trial is a good thing where steam railways report back and they tweak the recipe accordingly and after a few goes they'll come ouf with something that works really well. In theory anyway. I just hope the producers can allow for different firebox steaming properties given that some engines fire better on Welsh anthracite coal and some on Midland coal etc.

Last edited:

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Seeing as most of the (nominally) steam hauled railtours I’ve seen recently are actually being powered by diesel traction, I guess poo is an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.