• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Britain's Best Bus Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
When I say best I mean more from the aesthetic and architectural angle. Derby's new bus station is neat and functional but it's just another concrete block whereas the old bus station there used to have a bit of character.
Most bus stations seem to be souless and (though not always) functional buildings but from the 60's Hanley and Preston to the modern Warrington and Milton Keynes Coachway none seem to stand out as memorable or worth visiting in their own right.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
This thread wouldn't exist in most of mainland Europe where they understand integrated transport. In advanced countries like the Netherlands and Switzerland, buses leave from right outside the railway station. I don't mean across a busy road from the station, or even past the taxi rank. I mean right outside the station. So bus passengers can take advantage of the facilities of the railway station so a separate elaborate structure is not required. You only really get 'proper' bus stations in the British sense in towns where there is no rail station.

SS4

Established Member
This thread wouldn't exist in most of mainland Europe where they understand integrated transport. In advanced countries like the Netherlands and Switzerland, buses leave from right outside the railway station. I don't mean across a busy road from the station, or even past the taxi rank. I mean right outside the station. So bus passengers can take advantage of the facilities of the railway station so a separate elaborate structure is not required. You only really get 'proper' bus stations in the British sense in towns where there is no rail station.

In those countries the infrastructure was probably built to support that from the outset. I'd like to see the same thing in Britain but it won't happen.

I quite like Wolverhampton's (before today's fire in case anyone is wondering :lol:) as it's functional and it looks nice lol

anthony263

Established Member
I would nominate Swansea's new bus station which is actually very nice.

The bus stations at Bridgend and in Blackwood are also very nice

dvboy

Established Member
I quite like Wolverhampton's as it's functional and it looks nice lol

It's bloody cold in winter. And even though it only opened last summer they have already replaced parts of the flooring, and tarmac outside. The stand allocation could be better. Much nicer than the old bus station was though!

chris89

Established Member
Agree with Wolverhampton Bus Station. It is massivly nicer then the old one. And better then the walk to were the buses did termited.

But it does get extremely cold though in winter. Monday what was a warmer then normal day, it was pretty cold in it.

Chris

Peckham! :) :) :) :)

Seriously though Burnley bus station is quite nice. Shame about the people who use it! :) :) :)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Wolves is quite nice, I had a quick look round the other week before the Great Escape meet, very nice.

I may be on my own here, but I do have to say, I adore Preston bus station.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Seriously though Burnley bus station is quite nice. Shame about the people who use it! :) :) :)

I am led to believe it is very nice, certainly much better than the one in Blackburn, which, frankly, is pathetic.

Wolves is quite nice, I had a quick look round the other week before the Great Escape meet, very nice.

I may be on my own here, but I do have to say, I adore Preston bus station.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I am led to believe it is very nice, certainly much better than the one in Blackburn, which, frankly, is pathetic.

Isn't blackburn just a few bus shelters? Like a nicer version of the old Burnley bus station (rebuilt in 2002) or indeed Todmorden.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Isn't blackburn just a few bus shelters? Like a nicer version of the old Burnley bus station (rebuilt in 2002) or indeed Todmorden.

Aye, but I doubt Burnley or Todmorden could make a worse one if they tried - bear in mind that Blackburn is a town of 105,000, has about 20 regular bus routes serving the bus station, and is right next door to the railway station (making for a perfect interchange)! It used to feature, from what I can gather, wonderful Art Deco buildings, but they were swept away when it was slightly remodelled in the 1980s - that sounds akin to so many railway stations! There are plans to move it away from the railway station to the old market site, as the CoE want the land that it's built on back (I think that includes some of the land the railway station is built on too!). If it does move, I do hope that it is brought up to the standards one may expect for a town undergoing regeneration.

daniel3982

I quite like Chorley's...

Belfast Europa and Great Victoria Street are my absolute favourites though.

VTPreston_Tez

Preston, not only is it in my avatar but there's a new shop across from my stand :D
Sad to hear it may be going down, it has so many amenities it's like a shopping centre.
On that topic, Trafford Centre's okay I guess, but Manchester Airport...wow! Plug sockets, some form of shops, and a good bus service.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Sad to hear it may be going down, it has so many amenities it's like a shopping centre.

From what I can gather the Guild Hall and shopping centre attached are staying where they are come what may. The bus station isn't really connected to them, except via the subway.

VTPreston_Tez

From what I can gather the Guild Hall and shopping centre attached are staying where they are come what may. The bus station isn't really connected to them, except via the subway.

They are alright!
There's also 2 semi-new crossings to the St. John's Arcade and an old subway to the B&M (formerly the legendary Tradex) superstore behind. Old meets new...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
They are alright!
There's also 2 semi-new crossings to the St. John's Arcade and an old subway to the B&M (formerly the legendary Tradex) superstore behind. Old meets new...

I know where you are with the old subway. Is that closed? I've never actually seen anyone use it mind.

St John's Arcade? You've lost me. Is that the real name for the shopping centre under the Guild Hall, behind the tourist information?

I know there's also a crossing across the forecourt in front of the disused gates 1-6, are there any more means of access?

VTPreston_Tez

I know where you are with the old subway. Is that closed? I've never actually seen anyone use it mind. There's the one outside Stand 41, one outside Stands 78-80 for the Guild Hall Shopping Arcade.

St John's Arcade? You've lost me. Is that the real name for the shopping centre under the Guild Hall, behind the tourist information? It's the one accessed from the walkway at stands 1-6, or 37-40.

I know there's also a crossing across the forecourt in front of the disused gates 1-6, are there any more means of access? See above.

Answered everything :)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
i really quite like preston :)
edinburgh good too although the escalaters aint quite up to the job.

Terminal building at inverness is great with an amazing café, pitty stands are outside.

Pitty we dont have more intigrated bus and rail stations

martinsh

Established Member
Agree with Wolverhampton Bus Station. It is massivly nicer then the old one. And better then the walk to were the buses did termited.

But it does get extremely cold though in winter. Monday what was a warmer then normal day, it was pretty cold in it.

Chris

I used to like the old Wolverhampton bus sation - the new one is awful with ridiculously complicated routes taken by buses to arrive / leave. Buses take over 5 mins to reach a stop 100 yards away - quicker to walk !

redthunder

I actually quite like Middlesbrough's bus station, no reversing in and out, completely indoor, u can tell which queue is for what stand, an example to all designers!!!!

transmanche

Established Member
I'm quite fond of the new Turnpike Lane bus station (next to the tube station in north London). The old one was a bit dingy.

Attachments

• Turnpike_Lane_image_2_slideshow_large.jpg
    Turnpike_Lane_image_2_slideshow_large.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 6264247980_475f165ce8_z.jpg
    6264247980_475f165ce8_z.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 39

Statto

Established Member
The modern bus stations in West Yorkshire, i particully like Huddersfield, separate stands for alighting/boarding, short walk from the rail station, proper info screens, toilets that are actully clean & work.

83G/84D

Established Member
Swansea and Norwich are pretty good.Both are modern and clean with all the facilities that you would expect. Bristol is okay as well.

Yew

Established Member
Mansfields current bus station is ugly, although why it is built in a car park is odd...
1816661.JPG

The new one loooks good, it will have a walkway to the train station, you can see it going to the station in the pic below

mansfieldbusstation.jpg

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Why am I not surprised to see that the "Worst" thread is longer than this...? :roll:

Anyhow, I've always liked Hammersmith bus station. The whole area is well laid out for public transport operations (although a subway connection to the H&C couldn't hurt) and the double-deck design is novel. It wouldn't work if access to the central island (i.e. inside the Broadway circle) was reliant entirely on road crossings; of couse, the District and Piccadilly platforms ensure this isn't the case. Linking it to a shopping centre was also a good idea (if somewhat blown out of proportions by some modern examples).

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Still can't think of a decent bus station that is around now. I used to like the Ribble Bus Station in Skelhorne Street. It had a few shops, cafe and a little bar in it. People would actually go to it to use the shops/bar as opposed to going there to catch a bus. Alas it is no longer around - nor are Ribble.

Badger

I'd definately say Wolverhampton's is better than all of the others I've been to, although admittedly that isn't many.

I'm impressed with it bar the fact none of the buses I use go into it.

johnnychips

Established Member
Doncaster Interchange is a vast improvement on the old North and South bus stations. It is next to the station (the link to there from South used to be through a succession of scary urine-soaked subways). The inside is clean, as are the toilets, information is clear and the security staff don't tolerate yobbery.

Having said that, the walls outside are dark breeze block, and as you are riding out on your bus, in the gloom, you think, 'when are they going to finish it?'

Established Member
Saw the first two refurbed ones at the depot this morning but no others out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.