• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Government launches light rail consultation

Status
Not open for further replies.

squizzler

Established Member
Perhaps we are on the cusp of a second wave of light rail?

From International Rail Journal

“This is a great time to explore the incredible potential for light rail schemes across the country,” says transport minister Mr Jesse Norman. “Today’s wide-ranging call for evidence seeks new ideas and new support for the next generation of light rail, so that we make existing systems work better, and can work with cities and towns across the UK to create new ones.”

Click through for the government's Call for Evidence (pdf).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
I hope so, but a government wanting to invest in infrastructure? I'll eat my hat when it happens. Must buy a hat too

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm all for light rail for new ground.

As long as it's not just a cheapo way of renewing existing railways that the Government thinks are too expensive.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

As long as it's not just a cheapo way of renewing existing railways that the Government thinks are too expensive.

Personally, I think it has some merits in that regard, and there are a number of self-contained branch lines which may well merit investigation for conversion to light rail in order to reduce operating costs while increasing frequencies. St Albans was proposed for this, and I still think it's a good idea for that kind of branch. I even think a version of it could have merit on things like the Conwy Valley, while if Windermere isn't going to get the hourly through service I think it needs, another option would be to convert it to tram and run it on down the road to Bowness.

I'll start a thread in Speculative Ideas shortly to go with that to discuss these kinds of ideas further, will post the link here once I've done it.

Edit: here it is:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-improve-service-on-some-branch-lines.177924/

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Personally, I think it has some merits in that regard, and there are a number of self-contained branch lines which may well merit investigation for conversion to light rail in order to reduce operating costs while increasing frequencies. St Albans was proposed for this, and I still think it's a good idea for that kind of branch. I even think a version of it could have merit on things like the Conwy Valley, while if Windermere isn't going to get the hourly through service I think it needs, another option would be to convert it to tram and run it on down the road to Bowness.

I'll start a thread in Speculative Ideas shortly to go with that to discuss these kinds of ideas further, will post the link here once I've done it.

Edit: here it is:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-improve-service-on-some-branch-lines.177924/

Each to their own I suppose !

whhistle

On Moderation
We could do with more light rail, even if it means reducing the number of buses around.
The problem is where it needs to run too is tight on space.
Or is being developed into retail/flats/office space.

There was a prime location for a tram depot near where I lived.
Granted, access would have been from one side only but it was on the sight of a former railway station with a large area that had been redeveloped nearby. The route out of the city wasn't too full - it was asking for a tram system! But no. Offices, flats, retail.

furnessvale

Established Member

Could this be a reaction to the Northern dispute?

yorksrob

Veteran Member

That is my worry.

That we end up making precipitous decisions on infrastructute based on the industrial dispute, rather than what's best for the route.

It's rather like TFGM wanting to turn a route into a tram so that it will have more control over it, rather than it being the best outcome for the route (cough Atherton cough).

si404

Established Member
It's a little bit like putting pacers on lines to keep them open. And electrification doesn't have to happen - there's diesel tram-trains out there.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I hope so, but a government wanting to invest in infrastructure? I'll eat my hat when it happens. Must buy a hat too
Jesse Norman is actually fairly switched-on as transport ministers go (and very switched-on by the standards of the current Government). It's just not clear that he has any ability to sway money away from Grayling's twin fascinations of Moar Roads and ferry companies which don't have any ferries.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I can certainly see a push to more Metrolinking in Manchester, which curiously will deliver DOO on the lines where it was realistic that there might be DOO (without OBS) had the strikes not stopped it.

Personally, I'd be very happy to see a significant increase in the Metrolink network - also the Sheffield and Croydon networks. At least Birmingham is slowly moving forward with more light rail. It's just taking far too long.

Elecman

Established Member

My thoughts entirely given the sudden timing of the announcement. Let’s hope the Northern Guards in Manchester and other Northern cities other areas havent shot themselves in the foot.

Carlisle

Established Member
I seriously doubt it, if govt were that concerned about DOO it’d have been much simpler, cheaper and quicker for them to just stand firm against the unions whilst making it clear they’d eventually introduce new legislation if they refused all offers of compromise

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My thoughts entirely given the sudden timing of the announcement. Let’s hope the Northern Guards in Manchester and other Northern cities other areas havent shot themselves in the foot.

I doubt they realistically have, as they are hardly going to run Metrolink to Barrow, say. There are only a small set of lines to convert in Greater Manchester, which would release a number of guards which would be easily done by way of natural attrition.

w1bbl3

I'd say its more a response to poor air quality along major transport routes into towns and cities and if light rail, ultra light rail or mobility as a service is a viable solution. It's noticeable that whilst various alternatives that are not light rail are mentioned bus rapid transit isn't. Considering the planning window for new light rail is 10 (ish) years and the kind of new services that have emerged over the last decade and look likely to emerge in the next 10, asking the question is light rail the solution for medium density metro routes seems apt.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Like the announcements on Colne-Skipton and Ashington this could be just a case of making encouraging noises, get everyone enthusiastic, and when eventually the councils have spent their money making a business case it turns out DfT has no funding available.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Isn’t Nottingham looking at expansion to Derby, East Midlands Airport and to other places around the city?
I also know Tyne and Wear Metro is looking at expansion as part of the call for evidence.

Any other cities or towns that might be joining

dosxuk

Established Member
Sheffield has been wanting to extend for decades, but every time they come up with a plan, the government tell them "if you want it, you pay for it".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sheffield has been wanting to extend for decades, but every time they come up with a plan, the government tell them "if you want it, you pay for it".

Expect this to come to a head soon - the system needs a mid-life refurb, and the City Council are already shouting about possible closure to try to get funding.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Personally, I'd be very happy to see a significant increase in the Metrolink network - also the Sheffield and Croydon networks. At least Birmingham is slowly moving forward with more light rail. It's just taking far too long.

And significantly over budget.

I'm surprised TfWM haven't introduced a "Meteo Levy"for the Dudley extension to businesses and residents...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Expect this to come to a head soon - the system needs a mid-life refurb, and the City Council are already shouting about possible closure to try to get funding.

Has Sheffield seen any significant track renewals at any point in its life so far, in the way that Manchester and Croydon have?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Has Sheffield seen any significant track renewals at any point in its life so far, in the way that Manchester and Croydon have?
Yes, quite a lot of street track has been replaced. However there will be a significant cost in the next few years to replace the trams, which are now 25 years old.

button_boxer

Established Member

Yes, big works for months at a time over the last few summers and again this year (starting next Friday), with routes truncated and partial bus replacements.

duffield

Established Member
There may, of course, be a general election in the next few months.

In fact, it looks like so much is going to change politically (new PM, new cabinet, probable election due to lack of majority, possible further splits in Labour/Conservative party, new Change UK party, possible second referendum etc. etc.) in the next 6-12 months that any consultation like this is probably as meaningful as my plan to bulldoze the Victoria shopping centre to allow Nottingham Victoria to be rebuilt.:E

Status
Not open for further replies.