• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Open - Lytham St Annes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
To assist passengers travelling to the British Open at Lytham St Annes, Northern Rail suspended normal services on the single track line to Blackpool South and replaced these by buses. In their place, NR ran a half-hourly shuttle from Preston to Ansdell & Fairhaven, stopping at Kirkham & Wesham only. The single platform at Ansdell is an easy pitching wedge to the course entrance by the ninth green. However at the end of the day, spectators faced a long walk of a mile and a quarter back to the station from the 18th hole.

The shuttles were formed of 4-car class 150's and ran from the moribund and rarely used former r.e.s. platform at Preston, which passengers had to access via an old subway. Your correspondent struggled to make a 5 minute connection from Ormskirk, which arrived at the far end of the station in the bay platform 3c.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Michael.Y

Established Member
Completely off topic but only ignorant Yanks call it the "British Open" - it is simply "The Open."

Carry on. (Or should that be caddy?)

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
You're dead right Michael - please don't tell my club secretary or I'll get black balled.

Will I now have to pass the government's new Britishness test, I wonder, to prove I'm a limey/rosbif/pom?

Michael.Y

Established Member
You're dead right Michael - please don't tell my club secretary or I'll get black balled.

Will I now have to pass the government's new Britishness test, I wonder, to prove I'm a limey/rosbif/pom?

1. Name three nicknames for Brits.
2. Use the correct form of you're / your / yore in a sentence.
3. Make a satirical comment about the government.

You pass the Britishness test in my eyes. Now how about a quick 9 before sunset?

Status
Not open for further replies.