• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British people and queuing at railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Why do British people like queuing but never do at railway stations? They always crowd around the door, unlike in Japan where people queue to board trains. Just seems a bit odd to me they are happy to queue everywhere else!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
The only station I've ever seen actual queues is Waterloo on the Jubilee line by the platform edge doors during extremely busy periods.

Maybe the rationale is that trains usually have enough doors along the length of platforms that queuing has traditionally been unnecessary?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Aside from at the ticket office (and alongside platform edge doors like poster above has stated), where is there to queue at a railway station?

Established Member
The only station I've ever seen actual queues is Waterloo on the Jubilee line by the platform edge doors during extremely busy periods.
Likewise at Canary Wharf in the evening peak. The Drain at Bank was another.

ComUtoR

Established Member
It depends on what time of the day it is. ..

Early mornings are quite orderly. Most don't really care and amble on quietly.

The morning commute is a polite shuffle with everyone edging others out to get to "their" seat.

During the day; it's just first come, first served.

The evening commute is all out war and everyone for themselves.

As the alcohol kicks and the night draws to a close. It becomes pure survival and nobody really cares.

What you probably don't see is the 'invisible queue'. At all times people are looking who is already on the platform before them and will tend to nudge/block others who come after. Anyone there before them gets a polite wave in front.

Anyone who likes to 'people watch' would find trains and stations fascinating.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Why do British people like queuing but never do at train stations? They always crowd around the door, unlike in Japan where people queue to board trains. Just seems a bit odd to me they are happy to queue everywhere else!
They crowd around the doors and try to get on before people can get off, awful. Why?

nlogax

Established Member
Likewise at Canary Wharf in the evening peak. The Drain at Bank was another.

Never noticed it on the Drain, in my experience that's always been a bit of a free for all and one of the few places I've experience people trying to board before other people have left the train.

Let's see how things at stations with PEDs look once the Elizabeth line opens next year, if we ever get back into a situation where evening peaks are a real thing again.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Never noticed it on the Drain, in my experience that's always been a bit of a free for all and one of the few places I've experience people trying to board before other people have left the train.

Let's see how things at stations with PEDs look once the Elizabeth line opens next year, if we ever get back into a situation where evening peaks are a real thing again.
try tenby train pulls in people crowd then stare at you with contempt when you try get off

birchesgreen

Established Member
I always remember trying to get off a train at New St, the door opened and i was faced with a solid phalanx of people wanting to get on. There was that surreal moment where none of us knew what to do and we all looked at each other then finally one moved so i could get off.

And thats how the battle of Thermopylae was won.

Typhoon

Established Member
Aside from at the ticket office (and alongside platform edge doors like poster above has stated), where is there to queue at a railway station?
Lifts and escalators, Lifts - people do queue but tend to let those in a wheelchair or with a pram or pushchair on first in my experience. Escalators - a natural queue except for individuals who want to walk fast who may take the left hand lane (and get irritated with those ahead of them who are moving more slowly).

Getting on the train there is often no natural place to queue from (apologies to drivers), so passengers find a gap along the platform edge or, if it is off peak at my nearest station, just stand around - there will be more doors than passengers. No queue - one behind another - because it is a narrow platform and a queue more than two deep blocks it. They will also tend to move to that part of the platform which will enable them to get out of the destination station quickest, irrespective of when they arrived, if you don't know - head for the middle. It depends on the station, next nearest has an incredibly wide platform (island - only one side in regular use). You can stand anywhere to wait, even in peak (or first off-peak), you will get a seat (near the start of the route). @birchesgreen quotes New St, I'm in South Eastern. Morning peaks - almost no-one getting off, quite a few getting on; day - some getting on and off; evening peak - quite a few getting off, occasional getting on. New St is different, the worst of all worlds, times when there will be lots on and off. Not exactly the same but I can remember trying to get on a peak train at Coventry with a broken arm - the staff took pity on me and let me sit on a drop down seat by a door - it may have been in first class. Thanks again, if the staff member is reading!

Established Member
That was back in the day when Network South East ran the service. True in more recent times standards have declined :(

Status
Not open for further replies.