• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Rail Book - Christian Wolmar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broucek

Has anyone else had the misfortune to read this? I had a long flight on Saturday and it popped up on my Facebook feed just as I was boarding and so didn't do any due diligence on it...

It's full of obvious errors (he twice says that the Deltics were replaced on the ECML by electric traction). But worse is his juvenile approach to Beeching. I realise this is a subject that inflames passions, but an historian surely needs to look at both sides of the argument even if he ultimately comes down on a particular side. He writes as if pretty much all the closures were unjustified, whereas I think most people would acknowledge that some lines should never have been built, let alone retained into the era of car and bus transport. He also uses the trivial argument that "BR was still making a loss after Beeching so it didn't work" which ignores the non-trivial point that a smaller loss is (usually) preferable to a bigger one.

I'm still working through it slowly but the Tanya Jackson book is so much better written and researched and its pro-railway attitude is balanced with an acknowledgement that rail isn't the answer to every transport question.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Snail

Established Member
Since the first time I saw him, on a news segment purporting to be a railway expert, I didn't think he was particularly knowledgeable or insightful or even interesting, nothing since has altered that opinion one bit.

pdeaves

Established Member
I find his writings very readable. I may not agree with everything written (actually, I think there is little point in only reading stuff you know you will agree with) but I approach with a mindset that allows me to think 'I agree because...' or 'I disagree because...'. It's thinking about the 'because' that's the important bit.

It's hard to explain!

contrex

I'm currently reading Wolmar's 'Cathedrals of Steam' about the building of London's railway temini. Very readable. As I am not an architecture 'spotter' I can't comment on the accuracy.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've not read it, but from what the OP is saying, it sounds like a welcome antidote to all the pro-Beeching revisionism that seems to be fashionable nowadays.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've not read it, but from what the OP is saying, it sounds like a welcome antidote to all the pro-Beeching revisionism that seems to be fashionable nowadays.
Wolmar certainly divides opinion, doesn't he? He's managed to carve out a niche as the "Railway Expert" for News programmes, and occasionally puts his foot in his mouth while doing so, but I used to enjoy his columns in Rail back in the day.

I wouldn't say the Beeching revisionism is particularly "pro Beeching", but there has been a greater recognition in recent times that Marples was the real bad guy, with Beeching being a convenient patsy to take the blame. He was given a brief and carried it out, the issue was the brief itself was flawed in myriad ways (poor analysis of usage, a failure to widely implement cost-cutting measures short of closure such as paytrains and DMU usage, etc., etc.,).

I suggest we start referring to the closures brought about through the report as "The Marples Axe" rather than Beeching.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Wolmar certainly divides opinion, doesn't he? He's managed to carve out a niche as the "Railway Expert" for News programmes, and occasionally puts his foot in his mouth while doing so, but I used to enjoy his columns in Rail back in the day.

I wouldn't say the Beeching revisionism is particularly "pro Beeching", but there has been a greater recognition in recent times that Marples was the real bad guy, with Beeching being a convenient patsy to take the blame. He was given a brief and carried it out, the issue was the brief itself was flawed in myriad ways (poor analysis of usage, a failure to widely implement cost-cutting measures short of closure such as paytrains and DMU usage, etc., etc.,).

I suggest we start referring to the closures brought about through the report as "The Marples Axe" rather than Beeching.

That would be true, but for the fact that Beeching was a significant figure on the Stedeford committee and therefore fairly Central in developing the policy.

But you're correct - the buck stops with the Minister !

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I couldn’t load the full article as the link didn’t work but here’s a screenshot shot from a piece by Wolmar about enthusiasts. Nazi style salutes indeed, the man’s a fool!C9CB91A6-754A-48CB-B53D-08F9D1BE76A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.