• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Rail Class 323 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gergy008

I go to college every day, I take 3 trains. The last train is the 323, I'm curious as to what causes the popping noises when the train stops. It sounds like bursts of air to control pressure on the brakes but that's a guess.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I love the noises as well. For a entirely neutral point of view on 323s ask Ivo ;)

pemma

Veteran Member
The 365s and 465s are among the units which also make very similar noises.

Nym

Established Member
I go to college every day, I take 3 trains. The last train is the 323, I'm curious as to what causes the popping noises when the train stops. It sounds like bursts of air to control pressure on the brakes but that's a guess.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Is this the four popping noises that work their way down the unit and come from each powered axle after the unit has been stationary for about 10 seconds and the doors are open giving an interlock onto the brake circuits that doesn't occour when brake application has been made by the PBC or Reversing lever, only when stopped in a station?

(I know the 323s rather well...)

If so, it's part of the braking system linked into the driving motors and motor controllers...

I'm hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like the noise of the 323s :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
There's certainly some piece of equipment that "pops" and gives out a blast of air towards the track when the train is stationary, or even when it's moving off: I've watched it blowing depressions in the snow before. I have always presumed that it was something to do with the brake system, and that this might be what Nym is describing.

Nym

Established Member
Hmmm, if it's when it's moving off, it can't be the local door brake interlock valves then...

There are very sudden pressure and field changes in the motors when it 'changes gear' so it could be something completely seperate in both cases.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I've heard a popping sound like that from the Mark 4 coaches when they stop at a station. As has been said above, it is usually after the train has been stopped for a few seconds. However, as the coaches aren't powered, it must be something to do with the brakes or air suspension.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is it this that you are talking about? At 21:16 in the video (not mine).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN4UemtKMYE&feature=plcp

Nym

Established Member
If it is, that does indeed sound like air suspension.

But the 'clicks' do in a different order on the 323s and not on the centre carriage.

anthony263

Established Member
I have heard popping noises from the hst carriages when they are stopped at station which i suspected was due to the suspension.

Ivo

Established Member
I love the noises a 323 makes. It's the only nice thing about them though.

I love the noises as well. For a entirely neutral point of view on 323s ask Ivo ;)

If an F1 car sounded like those things as is often said it would be retired within seconds <D

Maybe I should bring back my original User Title - but with "323" instead of "Arriva" :p

anthony263

Established Member
If an F1 car sounded like those things as is often said it would be retired within seconds <D

Maybe I should bring back my original User Title - but with "323" instead of "Arriva" :p

I was wondering how long it would take for you to make a comment on this thread Ivo lol.:D

Gergy008

Wow so clever responses! I'll check out that video in college, I'm on a crowded 142 at the moment :) haha

But I don't hate the noise, I actually like it but always wondered why it had the need to make it o.O it does go down the carriage in a random order only when parked at a station. It doesn't make the same noise when it stops at a TWPS signal.

All the responses seem logical, maybe it's a combination of all?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I hear random noises like that in Mark 4s too... so probably the suspension.

the sniper

Established Member
If the same noises are found in Mark 4's, surely the link is that Metro-Cammell built and (I presume) designed the Mark 4. The 323 was then designed by ex-Metro-Cammell engineers.

whhistle

On Moderation
^ This is where I am struggling.

I can't say I have heard a "popping" sound on any train per se, however HST coaches occasionally moan in and out of stations.

The only 323 noise which the OP seems to describe which I can recall is when the train is pulling off from a standing start. It's air being let off somewhere, but happens before any movement.

The_Stig

Popping or ticking noise if its coming from the coach with the compressor will probably be the water drain (spirax on some units) valve on the main reservoir.

ukrob

Established Member
Is the OP talking about the FOUR tickings/poppings that work their way from the front to back or back to front of the unit? There seems to be lots of people guessing describing other noises?

jizzer

As I've already said, it's the WSP (ABS for trains) doing a self test. End of !!!!!

Geeves

Established Member
You can also hear the same sound on a 158 normally not long after the key has been put in.

I believe this is the sound the poster is referring to, in the first few seconds?

http://youtu.be/bC3-WCJ0FSw

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.