• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Rail network poster, 1981

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

The following tweet has been doing the rounds over the weekend: https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/917042980187463682

It shows the fastest possible journey time from London to Cardiff as 1h41m.

In terms of that time - I'm guessing it was one train a day/week and possibly it ran direct from Bristol?
Does anyone know what the fastest time is now/today on a HST - and why is there a difference is it the line speed restrictions, is it extra stops?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
Some of the others are impressive too.. London to Bath in 1hr9mins? Quickest today seems to be 1hr24.
Guess the 1hr9 was a peak 'super express', which called at Bath and Bristol only?
I do remember that 'extremely-limited-stop' peak services seemed to be more common in BR days.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
There used to be a Fridays Only non-stop train from Cardiff Central to London Paddington around that time.

It ran just before the stopping London train as a relief, but sometimes had to stop somewhere (Bristol Parkway, maybe) to drop those people off who'd thought that it was stopping at Newport. I don't know what it's booked journey time was, though.

flymo

Established Member
Can't speak for the 1981 TT as I don't have it to hand but in the '84 TT the fastest time from Paddington - Cardiff appeared to be 1h45m with stops at Bristol Parkway and Newport.

Bath looked to be doable in 1h13m with stops at Swindon and Chippenham in '84.

Love to see the '81 TT to see the times then.

Status
Not open for further replies.