• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Railways Board Chairman 1970s - 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titfield

Established Member
Does anyone know where I can find the precise dates of tenure of the British Railways Board Chairmen?
I can find the years but really want the day and month as well.
Sir Peter Parker (1976–1983)
Sir Robert Reid (1983–1990)
Sir Bob Reid (1990–1995)
John Welsby (1995–1999)
Thanks In Advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbwbear

Looking at articles in Modern Railways -

June 76 Issue : announces Parker to begin chairmanship when the current term (Marsh) ends in September
July 83 Issue : announces Robert Reid when Parker's term ends in September

There is a New York Times article online suggesting Bob Reid would start on 1st April.

There is a Modern Railways article saying Welsby would also start on 1st April.

I am guessing the first two started on 1st October - which is a guess - but logical maybe as it marks 6 months of the financial year ??

tbwbear

NB - Article in April 1995 Modern Railways - claims Welsby was initially appointed for fixed term from 1st April 1995 to 28th May 1998.

tbwbear

And finally - this article suggests that the very last BRB chairman (Morton) began on 1st April 1999 - so it might be safe to assume that Welsby left the day before ?

Revaulx

I’ve no idea what industry insiders made of it, but to us enthusiasts the appointment of Parker and the concurrent launch of the HST seemed to give BR an air of confidence - almost swagger - that I hadn’t seen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.