• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Britrail" for all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The exile

Established Member
It would be a lot easier to come up eith a rail solution such as this, than to negotiate hundreds of agreements with bus providers.
If this country is serious about getting people out of cars, then it's going to have to be done sooner or later. Plenty of places / countries have proved it's possible...
Ultimately it could come down to "if you want to benefit from Public Service Operation tax / duty rates then you must accept interavailability of tickets / a standard fare structure" - though obviously a "carrot" approach is better than a "stick".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I believe the posters proposing a time restriction believe it would be necessary to prevent the pass being used as a long-distance season ticket. I think it's quite likely there would be some form of restriction, given that to be priced at a point to make it popular the pass would need to undercut many long-distance season ticket fares.
Which is why I suggested "not valid to arrive" rather than "not valid to depart" as the majority of commuter stations will be gated and so the restriction can be (relatively) easily applied. It's unlikely that genuine tourists will want to be arriving into major cities in the morning peaks, but they may well want to leave them to get out into the countryside before too much of the day has gone.

The exile

Established Member
I believe the posters proposing a time restriction believe it would be necessary to prevent the pass being used as a long-distance season ticket. I think it's quite likely there would be some form of restriction, given that to be priced at a point to make it popular the pass would need to undercut many long-distance season ticket fares. Another consideration could be not wanting to encourage leisure travel during morning peak commute time, in areas where that is an issue.

Regional rovers are somewhat flawed though. They're confusing, by their nature restrict travel to arbitrary artificial regions and don't allow the passenger to travel to the area they're valid in to be able to use them. I can see the appeal in something less complicated and with better mass-market appeal. Perhaps the two could exist happily alongside each other.
You could add a discounted return journey for use on the first and last days (or the one immediately before / after) "only valid with rover ticket number....". Yes - inevitably any regional product has borders - hence the suggestion of large overlaps - but I'm assuming that the main intended market is the "two or three days out during my week's holiday" rather than track-bashers. I'm not quite sure what's so confusing about a ticket valid on all trains (and buses!) within a specified geographical area - many of the complicated quirks of the current products are often down to non-acceptance by certain operators (this rover is valid at both Wigan and Warrington, but you can't travel directly between the two because the only services are provided by an operator on which it is not valid).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If this country is serious about getting people out of cars, then it's going to have to be done sooner or later. Plenty of places / countries have proved it's possible...
Ultimately it could come down to "if you want to benefit from Public Service Operation tax / duty rates then you must accept interavailability of tickets / a standard fare structure" - though obviously a "carrot" approach is better than a "stick".

Indeed.

This would be a good intermediate step though

RT4038

Established Member
Of course it is possible - all the bus companies need to get is an equitable re-imbursement rate for the acceptance of the tickets. The bus industry cannot carry on with pitiful rates of funding while the railways bathe in billions.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Regional rovers are somewhat flawed though. They're confusing

Are they? People cope with a London Travelcard.

, by their nature restrict travel to arbitrary artificial regions

Generally they are set up around regions where people would spend their holiday. I think they are actually quite well thought through. Just not even nearly publicised enough.

and don't allow the passenger to travel to the area they're valid in to be able to use them

How about an "outboundary Travelcard" style arrangement?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Which is why I suggested "not valid to arrive" rather than "not valid to depart" as the majority of commuter stations will be gated and so the restriction can be (relatively) easily applied. It's unlikely that genuine tourists will want to be arriving into major cities in the morning peaks, but they may well want to leave them to get out into the countryside before too much of the day has gone.
Problem would be people like me living in the suburbs of London. If I wanted to go anywhere not served by Southeastern then I'd want to arrive at a London terminal before crossing London and continuing on the other side.

Cdd89

Established Member
Which is why I suggested "not valid to arrive" rather than "not valid to depart" as the majority of commuter stations will be gated and so the restriction can be (relatively) easily applied.
What’s the definition of “arrive”? These sorts of restrictions refer to a specific train arriving at a specific destination. Applying it to a passenger would be conceptually new.

najaB

Veteran Member
Problem would be people like me living in the suburbs of London.
True. Though, you'd be no worse off than you would be under a "Not valid to depart" restriction.
Applying it to a passenger would be conceptually new.
If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got.

What’s the definition of “arrive”?
For me it would be crossing the gateline, in the same way that ticket barriers don't accept certain tickets until after 9:30am when heading to the platform.

philjo

Established Member
What’s the definition of “arrive”? These sorts of restrictions refer to a specific train arriving at a specific destination. Applying it to a passenger would be conceptually new.
Off peak day tickets into London from the Network area are currently generally valid for use on services arriving in London Terminals after 10am on weekdays so something similar could apply.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Off peak day tickets into London from the Network area are currently generally valid for use on services arriving in London Terminals after 10am on weekdays so something similar could apply.

I think that makes it too complex, to be honest. "Not before 10am on weekdays" (or maybe 9:30am) is simple, clear and will be fine for the vast majority of users. If they do want to start at the crack of dawn, they'll simply plan to start their holiday on a Saturday or Sunday - indeed, for full-week holiday accommodation, which is the sort of usage this would be aimed at, Saturday is the usual changeover day anyway, so both long distance journeys are likely to be made on Saturdays. No issue coming home if no evening restriction.

For the usage for which this is being proposed it is a non-issue. People are thinking about it like enthusiasts - people who want to maximise their time on trains so will start really early to do that. The typical family simply doesn't think that way.

algytaylor

For the usage for which this is being proposed it is a non-issue. People are thinking about it like enthusiasts - people who want to maximise their time on trains so will start really early to do that. The typical family simply doesn't think that way.
Yeah, I was thinking similar. Typically we have a couple of longer journeys (to/from wherever we're going) and then a bunch of day tickets. You'd probably want something where you'd specify a start & return date, it'd cover train travel for each of those days and the equivalent of a plusbus ticket for the duration. In an ideal world, you'd also have something like being able to travel up to 60mins away from the destination station by train.

najaB

Veteran Member
If it's being used in a similar manner to a Britrail pass then (a) they tend to be used by solo travellers/couples rather than families; and (b) those travellers quite often will want to get the earliest/latest trains possible so that they can maximise their time actually experiencing places.

Families will almost always drive where it is feasible.

Roast Veg

Established Member
I can see weekly "travelcards" for regions being quite attractive. Unlimited suburban travel around a central hub, plus a return from your point of origin.

There are lots of places around the country where it would be feasible.

Goldfish62

Established Member
If it's being used in a similar manner to a Britrail pass then (a) they tend to be used by solo travellers/couples rather than families; and (b) those travellers quite often will want to get the earliest/latest trains possible so that they can maximise their time actually experiencing places.

Families will almost always drive where it is feasible.
Exactly. It's not an enthusiast thing to want to travel early. Many people want to start off early so they can have a few hours in one place before perhaps moving on elsewhere for an overnight stay.

jthjth

How about limiting the number of domestic “Britrail” tickets to one or two per year, with no restrictions? Police it by requiring a photo to be uploaded at time of purchase. Modern image recognition software would soon pick up multiple purchases, and that together with repeating addresses and credit card numbers would make it hard work to keep buying repeats for a commuter season ticket.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Something that might be easier to implement than this but still sell volumes would be a sale in the low season. For example, 20% off most Ranger and Rover tickets, including the All Line Rover, this October, and then again next February. Not a world-beating idea, but easy to implement, easy to use, easy to market. Even if a tiny number of people use the cheaper Rovers for commuting, it's pretty difficult to and it won't be many people at all trying it. They'll get at the very most a slightly cheaper journey to work for a maximum of eight weeks. Not a huge risk.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Are they? People cope with a London Travelcard.
They do. With the maps showing the zones on all stations and tubes and most trains in the area. I know a lot of people who daren't venture beyond the tube network with a Travelcard.

paul1609

Established Member
It would be a lot easier to come up eith a rail solution such as this, than to negotiate hundreds of agreements with bus providers.

To be fair I think most people just think it's a Tube ticket.
Not in South London.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what that proves without knowing how long it took to negotiate between all the providers.

Not in South London.
I think we're largely talking about tourists in this thread.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Not in South London.

That's great. But they'd have to negotiate lots of them across the country.

paul1609

Established Member
I'm not sure what that proves without knowing how long it took to negotiate between all the providers.
I think it proves that the south just gets on and does it. The north just grumbles about a conservative government and then expects London & South Eastern taxpayers to cough up more subsidy under brand names like powerhouse levelling up etc etc

I think we're largely talking about tourists in this thread.
Do you think tourists don't stay in South London and the surrounding counties for budget accommodation and then visit the city centre daily?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I think it proves that the south just gets on and does it. The north just grumbles about a conservative government and then expects London & South Eastern taxpayers to cough up more subsidy under brand names like powerhouse levelling up etc etc
As I've said, without any details as to how long this took to agree, it shows nothing.

Do you think tourists don't stay in South London and the surrounding counties for budget accommodation and then visit the city centre daily?
As a large proportion of those visiting London? No.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I can understand why they'd want some additional funding.

{linked graph shows annual spending per capita on transport of £903 for London, £486 for North East England, £412 for North West England and £276 for Yorkshire and the Humber}

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
I can understand why they'd want some additional funding.

{linked graph shows annual spending per capita on transport of £903 for London, £486 for North East England, £412 for North West England and £276 for Yorkshire and the Humber}
Unfortunately I have to spend nearly 500 usd to read the statistics of a German company.

paul1609

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.