• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Britrail pass & Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ737

G'day

Just got off the phone with Caledonian Sleeper, I was trying to book Standard Solo berths for May, The consultant seemed to think that sleeper berths are included in the cost of Britrail Passes, he took my travel details and will get back to me.

As far as I know I need to pay the sleeper supplement, Does anyone know what the current Solo sleeper supplement is for Euston-Inverness-Euston is, the consultant didn't.

The best thing about the phone call is he picked up straight away, which is a first for me calling a call centre. :)

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
We really could do with some answers from Serco regarding berth supplements and the use of flexible walk up tickets on the sleeper once they take over.

The new website looks good but from what I can see it only offers Advance fares. This is fine for a one-way trip but many people take the sleeper one way and return on a day train and often the best way of doing this is with a berth supplement.

A berth supplement is often the best way of the sleeper is only one portion of your journey.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
G'day

Just got off the phone with Caledonian Sleeper, I was trying to book Standard Solo berths for May, The consultant seemed to think that sleeper berths are included in the cost of Britrail Passes, he took my travel details and will get back to me.

As far as I know I need to pay the sleeper supplement, Does anyone know what the current Solo sleeper supplement is for Euston-Inverness-Euston is, the consultant didn't.

The best thing about the phone call is he picked up straight away, which is a first for me calling a call centre. :)

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

You are correct. As things currently stand, if a berth is required, you need to pay the supplement. Travel in the seated coach is free subject to reservations being made in advance.

TEW

Established Member
The brief I've seen today on the new Caledonian Sleeper pricing states that interavailable tickets continue to be available on the service subject to the same reservation and supplement requirements as present.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The most recent leaflet says that the standard class solo supplement is £62.70 each way.

It's £54 on the National Rail website. Has it gone up recently?

Either way, I expect Serco to put the price up, as they appear to be very expensive and their pricing is designed to put people off.

The prices quoted on NRE are:

• Single berth cabin - £43.00 per berth (First Class travel ticket required)
  • Twin berth cabin - Adult £38.00 per berth, Child £19.00 per berth (Standard Class only, sharing with someone of the same sex)
  • Caledonian Solo (exclusive use of a twin berth cabin) - £54.00 one way [Only available to holders of Standard Anytime and Off Peak returns tickets]
It's not clear from the italic text in brackets whether they're trying to say that Britrail holders have to share with a stranger? If so, that's quite bizarre.

cool110

NRE appears to be very out of date regarding the supplement prices, even 2013's fares were higher than those. The leaflets also state that the solo supplement is available with all standard class interavailable tickets.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Caledonian Solo (exclusive use of a twin berth cabin) - £54.00 one way [Only available to holders of Standard Anytime and Off Peak returns tickets]

I wonder if they're going to allow super off-peak tickets. Same with ALR's too.

I bet the person who wrote it doesn't even realise that these types of tickets exist!

Last edited:

DJ737

G'day

Thanks for the replies, It looks like £62.70 each way which is OK, but if Caledonian Sleeper issue free berths then I will be even happier, I will report back when I hear from them.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne. Australia

DJ737

G'day

Caledonian Sleeper never got back to me, so I thought I would use the FGW sleeper down to Cornwall and back, but FGW only have 0345/0800 numbers which you cant call from Australia. FGW twitter people weren't any help either, is there a normal phone number for FGW reservations?

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
0345 is just a standard call charge so you should be able to call that, otherwise 01752 675640 is listed on saynoto0870.com but it's in the unverified list.

CallySleeper

Established Member
DJ737,

Who do you mean when you say you contacted 'Caledonian Sleeper'? Who are you trying to get in touch with, ScotRail or Serco?

The Caledonian Sleeper train is operated by ScotRail until 30th March, Serco thereafter.

DJ737

G'day
I contacted Serco on the direct number on their website, they said they would get back to me by email in a couple of days but didn't that was 11 days ago. :roll:

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
G'day

Caledonian Sleeper finally contacted me by email, but they still don't know how much the supplement will be and they don't seem to know that a Britrail pass and Flexipass are the same thing, the email implies that a supplement is payable with a Britrail pass but not with a Flexipass.

I emailed back that I have a Britrail Flexipass, not sure if that will help or not.

Dear Mr DJ737,
I have a record of your travel enquiry:

14 May London Euston to Inverness

15 May Inverness to London Euston

Could you please confirm the number of people travelling and whether it is a Britrail pass or a Flexipass you hold? Once you have confirmed this information then we will be able to make the reservation for you. If it is a Britrail pass, a supplement will be applicable for berths. We are waiting for the supplement rates to be confirmed so are unable to quote you a price just now. Once the supplement prices have been confirmed, we would contact you back for payment.​

We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Last edited:

DJ737

G'day

Success, Received an email again from Caledonian Sleeper who this time advised me to contact Scotrail.

A very helpful consultant had my berths booked in about 3mins (£62.70 each way Solo)

The Scotrail lady couldn't understand why Caledonian Sleeper could not arrange the reservations.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

TUC

Established Member
Barry Doe has a good article in the new issue of Modern Railways abut the pigs ear Servo have made of failing to offer anything but combined travel and berth tickets on the Caledonian Sleeper website, and failing to take into account that they are contractually obliged to accept other tickets. Including Britrail. I don't think Serco are saying they won't accept them, more that they haven't built it into their website or telesales. ATOC have apparently been equally useless advising that, although they agree that Serco are required to accept other rickets ,they could not directly liaise with Serco until they actually commenced operation. And they wonder why some think that ATOC lacks energy and creativity

alastair

Barry Doe has a good article in the new issue of Modern Railways abut the pigs ear Servo have made of failing to offer anything but combined travel and berth tickets on the Caledonian Sleeper website, and failing to take into account that they are contractually obliged to accept other tickets. Including Britrail. I don't think Serco are saying they won't accept them, more that they haven't built it into their website or telesales. ATOC have apparently been equally useless advising that, although they agree that Serco are required to accept other rickets ,they could not directly liaise with Serco until they actually commenced operation. And they wonder why some think that ATOC lacks energy and creativity

Rail magazine surely,not Modern Railways?

TUC

Established Member

Rail magazine surely,not Modern Railways?
you're right! It's been a long day ...

David57

I was one of those in contact with Barry on his article on serco in Rail Magazine about the problems about 'berth only' reservations.

Northampton's booking computer screen froze, and were appologetic, managed to book at Euston.

Steep learning curve for Serco.

Status
Not open for further replies.