• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Britrail Pass Delivery Charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom3107

First of all, I appreciate how fortunate I am to be entitled to use one of these tickets due to being a resident of Spain.

Last week, I ordered a pass from the Britrail.net website. On the website shipping page it states that Airmail delivery is available for €5, however on checkout only express shipping is available at €21. However there is also the option to buy a ´safeguard plan´ to protect against loss and theft for €19 which includes express shipping (advertised as taking 1-3 days and requiring a signature). I selected this, assuming that this express shipping option was the only option - I didn´t want the plan, but it made the extortionate delivery price €2 cheaper.

Today my pass arrived, having been sent by basic Royal Mail Airmail at a cost of 1.50GBP. I just wondered what members opinions are on this and is it worth following up? A pass which cost €182 ended up costing €203.40 - an extra 10% through unavoidable fees and also as it was advertised as express shipping.

I know its not the end of the world... but being forced into paying extra money with no other option just leaves a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
First of all, I appreciate how fortunate I am to be entitled to use one of these tickets due to being a resident of Spain.

Last week, I ordered a pass from the Britrail.net website. On the website shipping page it states that Airmail delivery is available for €5, however on checkout only express shipping is available at €21. However there is also the option to buy a ´safeguard plan´ to protect against loss and theft for €19 which includes express shipping (advertised as taking 1-3 days and requiring a signature). I selected this, assuming that this express shipping option was the only option - I didn´t want the plan, but it made the extortionate delivery price €2 cheaper.

Today my pass arrived, having been sent by basic Royal Mail Airmail at a cost of 1.50GBP. I just wondered what members opinions are on this and is it worth following up? A pass which cost €182 ended up costing €203.40 - an extra 10% through unavoidable fees and also as it was advertised as express shipping.

I know its not the end of the world... but being forced into paying extra money with no other option just leaves a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth!
I think a complaint would be in order, but you have taken out a safeguard plan which has some value, so it's not clear what you are entitled to.

paddington

Did it arrive within 1-3 days?

A signature on delivery protects the seller, not the buyer.

Flying Snail

Established Member

They have form for this.

Some time ago I ordered a pass with express shipping and it was sent by regular post. I had paid extra as it was around 2 weeks before I was due to leave and post from UK to here is unreliable. When there was no show after a few days I contacted them and was told it had been sent by regular mail with barely an apology. It showed up the morning I was due to leave after I had spent hours re-arranging my plans.

If they tried that with me again I'd just demand a refund or a tracked delivery replacement based on the ticket not arriving (regular mail has no tracking, delivery is not provable) and go use the ticket anyway.

That safeguard plan is a garbage product, they don't provide replacement passes and have so many conditions and exclusions that any decent travel insurance policy would provide better cover for far less.

paul1609

Established Member
Britrail.net is operated by APCrail of Toronto Canada.
The the e ticket would be a better purchase.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Britrail.net is operated by APCrail of Toronto Canada.
The the e ticket would be a better purchase.

The tickets for European purchases from ACP are sent from a London office.

The M-Pass (e?) tickets are not available for all types, particularly the flexipass and bizarrely the low season 15% discount is only available on paper tickets so M tickets cost more at this time of year on the products they are available for.

Status
Not open for further replies.