• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BritRail pass on Grand Central/Hull Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am Australian and have purchased a BritRail Flexipass (First Class) which allows 12 (an 8 & 4 day pass) days travel in 2 months. I intend to try to travel on all operators for at least one sector in that time.

The pass states that it is not valid on "Privately owned railways". Do the open access operators fall into this category or are they part of the entire National Rail network?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Callufrax

I am Australian and have purchased a BritRail Flexipass (First Class) which allows 12 (an 8 & 4 day pass) days travel in 2 months. I intend to try to travel on all operators for at least one sector in that time.

The pass states that it is not valid on "Privately owned railways". Do the open access operators fall into this category or are they part of the entire National Rail network?

Yes, they are accepted. I definitely know about them being accepted on Hull Trains, as they are a member of ATOC (or currently applying, which means they need to abide by ATOC regulations anyhow). I once made an enquiry about it, a few months ago. I'm not 100% about Grand Central, but I imagine it's about the same. Best thing to do is to call Grand Central directly.

Btw, the BritRail pass is also valid on both the Heathrow and Gatwick Expresses. But, unless you're starting your rail travels immediately, it's probably better just to buy the regular tickets.

Jordy

Established Member
I'm sure BOSCH or someone will be able to tell you when they find the thread ;)

Thanks to each of you - I emailed both operators 48 hours ago and have not recieved a reply!!

I thought I should go to somewhere where people know what they are talking about. This forum!!

Jordy, I expect Bosch to contribute as the board's marketer of Grand Central!!

Callufrax, thanks for the Heathrow info (love the Toronto car!!). I have long term accommodation near Windsor and will generally use Slough to Paddington for connections out of London. However, one Sunday afternoon I have to meet a fellow traveller at Heathrow, then get to Kings Cross via Paddington and we hope to use Hull trains to connect in Hull with Northern to Filey and be home in time for tea!!

Sir_Clagalot

never mind botch, he's abandoning us for the blunt end!! (with GC, he's the new Tea Boy in the Cab now! ;) )
I can confirm that BritRail passes are valid.

BOSCH

never mind botch, he's abandoning us for the blunt end!! (with GC, he's the new Tea Boy in the Cab now! ;) )
I can confirm that BritRail passes are valid.

Hey,I've warned you ! Wait till I see you in the morning Sir Spamalot !<D

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have long term accommodation near Windsor and will generally use Slough to Paddington for connections out of London. However, one Sunday afternoon I have to meet a fellow traveller at Heathrow, then get to Kings Cross via Paddington and we hope to use Hull trains to connect in Hull with Northern to Filey and be home in time for tea!!

If you're over here soon, you may catch loco haulage on Hull Trains!

Glad to see you're coming up to my area! You should stop in Hull for a bit and have a look around the old town, it's a real gem. The streetlife museum is also good for a visit, lots of railway memorabilia as well as buses, trolleybuses, old motorcars, motorbikes, and an authentic old fashioned streetscene too! :)

Also, just as an aside, although not valid on preserved railways, Britrail passes often offer discounts on tickets. For example, at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway between Pickering and Whitby we offer a 20% discount. Nice if you want some steam haulage while you're here!

Max, Thanks for the tip. I was in Filey last July and we will use it as a base for Castle Howard day trip near Malton. The trip to Hull stopover time will vary depending on whether it is a Sunday or weekday visit.

Friends stayed in Selby 3 years ago and travelled on your Pickering-Whitby service (loved it), however, I can't fit it into this trip. They thought that they had found the best fish and chips in Whitby, however, last year in Filey visit, they thought the fish and chips were better.

Thanks to Bosch and Sir Clagalot, your enthusiam for the GC product has been evidenced on the forum and leads me to travel with GREAT expectations!!
Any guess on when the next set of services may commence - schedule is sparse at the moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.