• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broadband on new computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutter

As some of you may be aware i've been looking for a new PC, i've decided to increase the budget to 3k so i can get a top of the range PC.

I'm just wondering, what do i need for it to connect to an ethernet hub 20m's away. I'm on broadband, and I have a spare port at the back for an ethernet connection

I don't want to set up a network, just 'tab' into my current connection

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
**DON'T** use a USB adaptor unless you have no choice - they're awfully slow.

nutter

I want to be able to use broadband speed (512kps), but it still be wired. Do i need a special cable, component in the PC or do the modern ones come with a ethernet port which you can just connect the cable too, and run it to the hub

Craig

Established Member
You'll need an RJ45 Ethernet port (a standard network one) in your PC, most if not all new PCs come with one as standard. Then you'll just need a length of network cable to run between the PC and the hub.

T

Tom

I have a USB Wireless dongle which I am quite willing to give away as I don't need it at the moment. They are OK as long as you dont have many walls... ;)

nutter

Well the PC is almost directly above this one, but I need a reliable connection, and from when i've used wi-fi stuff in the past, i don't trust it for the downloads i do, which tend to be pretty big MSTS routes, especially when i get premium on UKtrainsim when i get the new PC

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
**DON'T** use a USB adaptor unless you have no choice - they're awfully slow.

No they are not. I use a 54mb one which is plenty fast enough. Much better than having loads of wires around the house

nutter

All i know is i want a wired connection between the blueyonder motorola ethernet port and my 'new' PC upstairs

I thought i'd need a LAN or something

sorry if it seems arsy, it's just connecting to the internet myself i've never had to do

compsci

Between a modem and a PC you need a standard RJ45 cable. Most of these are pretty short at about 3m or so, but much longer ones do exist. I got 15m for my first year at university as the network socket was by the phone at the opposite side of the room to the desk.

I would really consider a wireless router though. With a good strong signal (as opposed to something eminating from a house in the next street) and PCI wireless card you shouldn't have any problems at all with lost connections. Even the slowest wifi systems are faster than your broadband, so you won't be sacrificing anything speed wise.

If you do use a cable you'll either have to buy a much longer cable than the raw distance involved in order to route it sensibly e.g. along the skirting boards or drill holes in the walls (probably not an option).

If there is any vertical distance involved than wifi is the only sane option. Loose cables and stairs don't go well together, apart from the massive extra amount of cable you'll need.

Status
Not open for further replies.