• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broken down train at Berwick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
More major delays on the ECML, and I'm sure I saw the Newcastle thunderbird on route learning this morning.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks as if wires might be down as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

elementalpat

Sounds like a pantograph problem leading to wire damage, but sounds like it will take a while to fix!

wensley

Established Member
News from the train...pan problems brought down wires which have broken at least one window. Awaiting rescue and re-stringing. Trains passing under caution on the up.

button_boxer

Established Member
Because the wires were put up on the cheap.

My understanding from other threads on here is that the wires that were put up were perfectly adequate for the service levels and train speeds they were specified to support at the time. The problem is that trains have got faster and more frequent but the wires have not been upgraded to match.

Pugwash

My understanding from other threads on here is that the wires that were put up were perfectly adequate for the service levels and train speeds they were specified to support at the time. The problem is that trains have got faster and more frequent but the wires have not been upgraded to match.

Who could have ever guessed that eh.

Lee_Again

I'm not sure that trains are any faster through Berwick today than when the wires first went up; or indeed when the original Flying Scotsman passed. Further, there can only be one or two trains an hour through that section (Electric trains). It's not like it's the Welwyn Viaduct !!

I'm not saying things haven't changed, clearly they have, but there's some truth in the 'cost' factor.

D1009

Established Member
News from the train...pan problems brought down wires which have broken at least one window. Awaiting rescue and re-stringing. Trains passing under caution on the up.

Location of incident was between Crag Mill and Smeafield, south of Berwick. Train involved was 1S06 0730 Kings Cross Edinburgh, which is now on the move, passing Berwick at 16.56, 5 hrs 28 mins late.

dk1

Veteran Member
Passengers being sent via Virgin West Coast. The overcrowding on the Glasgow Pendolino's must be pretty bad today what with school holidays in England.

johnnychips

Established Member
Just stopped at it now on 1450 from Aberdeen. Two poor blokes on a cherry picker on down fast in wind and hail.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hmm if this could make life interesting for me tomorrow because if this is still on going late on today into tomorrow then EC's sets are probably going to be massively out of position which could make my intention to get the 08:24 from Darlo (06:25 from Edinburgh) to London tomorrow a bit ambitious.

Established Member
If they're going to start it short anywhere, it'd be Newcastle so you should be alright.

Failed Unit

Established Member
They typically kill off the 0625 - but restart it at Newcastle so you should be ok. It looks like Waverley will have its fair share. But you may get a 91 instead of a HST. (although I suspect there will be more HSTs in Edinburgh than normal tonight) the hull, Harrogate and Lincoln services are 91 operated tonight (and not making it to thier destinations)

Tim R-T-C

Established Member

Were the 91s not the original trains that the electrification was designed for?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If they're going to start it short anywhere, it'd be Newcastle so you should be alright.

They typically kill off the 0625 - but restart it at Newcastle so you should be ok.

Well I was thinking that would be the case, but still I'd rather the ECML hadn't decided to break down in spectacular fashion the day before I intend to travel on it (then again I'd rather it now than when I'm actually on it!).

the hull, Harrogate and Lincoln services are 91 operated tonight (and not making it to thier destinations)

I assume they're dumping people on to local services? Could make for some very heavily loaded trains...

But you may get a 91 instead of a HST.

I'll live ;)

Were the 91s not the original trains that the electrification was designed for?

I'm fairly sure that most of the supports that hold up the wires are BR Mk3s which was originally designed for the WCML with 100mph running (I think for the extension to Glasgow in the late 60s early 70s). They then ended up getting deployed pretty much everywhere that BR wired up including the ECML by which time they had been cleared for 125mph running. However hopefully someone like oleman or Old Time will be along to correct/confirm me soon.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Regarding the Lincoln service, it is still running but only as far as Newark Northgate with Road Transportation onto Lincoln.

tsr

Established Member
To quote NRE's 2047hrs update:

Overhead wire problems are causing disruption near Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Because of this, trains between Newcastle and Edinburgh are being delayed by up to 60 minutes. This disruption will continue until the end of service today.

Repair work on the overhead wires will continue overnight and a normal service is expected to run tomorrow, Wednesday 4 April.

So, in other words, things should be working by the morning, but things will, of course, still be out of place. I wouldn't hold your breath...

BrianTheLion

I'm on the 0800 Edinburgh to Newcastle will that be affected ?

I'm on the 0930 Edinburgh to Newcastle...

Anyone with inside info able to say if the issue is still ongoing?

Just say the issue is still there in the morning... will I be able to get a Virgin train to Carlisle then Northern to Newcastle?

tsr

Established Member

Just say the issue is still there in the morning... will I be able to get a Virgin train to Carlisle then Northern to Newcastle?

I have no access to "inside information", so to speak, but VT ticket acceptance is currently not in place, and obviously there are no guarantees for tomorrow, should disruption continue.

I would strongly advise you to check before you leave.

As my earlier quote from NRE said (and this is still in force, as of 2200hrs), the overhead lines are expected to be repaired overnight, with a normal service currently "expected" tomorrow. Often, the fact they are talking about services on subsequent days means that there has been some uncertainty about what sort of service will run in the next one or more days, so things may change for better or for worse!

I can easily imagine that no trains will be able to run through possessions tonight, meaning a great deal of stock may be out of place by morning.

Established Member

If you can, get to the station early, then if the disruption continues you might get onto an earlier service.

Weather is bad up here, v. windy and snow/sleet. Will be hard to get the wires up.

Status
Not open for further replies.