• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broken down train at Woking [19/2/16]

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There was a broken down train at Woking today. This has lead to inevitable delays.

It's now been moved but one line still can't be used in the north direction. Does anyone know any more about this and why the line still can't be used?

I was travelling from Guildford on the 7.45 and knew about the problem but decided to travel that way anyway as the trains have WiFi and the direct train to Surbiton from Guildford doesn't. WiFi didn't work.

Now on an 8.17 stopping service, which today is short formed of 4 coaches due to a m fault. This of course just happens to be a 455 so no WiFi. I at least surprisingly have a seat and there are other seats free despite many standing! This departed from platform 5. Wonder when was the last time a stopping service went north from platform 5. The 7.45 arrived into Woking on platform 4.

Not sure what trains heading south are doing, if we are using all the down lines to head north. Whilst stuck outside Woking I did see one train go passed towards Portsmouth. Once we leave as we are now doing, only 5 minutes late, we will have to cross every fast and slow line to reach the up slow! Not a move you'd want to do to often during peak rush hour. At least they have the signalling in place to allow this to happen.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Intestinal the 8.15 service from Guildford to Waterloo was only 4 minutes late leaving Woking. How in earth did it manage that when all the other trains around it were delayed by 10-30 minutes. The 8.31 from Guildford departed Worpolesden on time but was 22 minutes late leaving Woking so it wasn't a case of trains returning to normal.

I was once on a train from Waterloo that was only an hour late when many trains before it and after it were over 4 hours late, including the train to Guildford that should have arrived about 15 minutes before the train I was on. I left the pub after 11pm to head home before it even arrived. If only I'd had access to the train movements that evening, would have been fascinating reading.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Smod

As a regular traveller, I think the signallers are pretty skilled at dealing with issues at Woking. It's not unusual for trains from London to use platform 2 (normally London-bound) and trains to London to use platform 4 (normally for trains from London) wherever there are gaps they can use.

Terminating trains from London in Platform 5 and turning London-bound trains in Platform 1 (and sometimes platform 2) when they need to prune the service are also not uncommon.

It must have been a nightmare dealing with disruption in the days before the Woking platforms became bi-directional!

infobleep

Veteran Member
As a regular traveller, I think the signallers are pretty skilled at dealing with issues at Woking. It's not unusual for trains from London to use platform 2 (normally London-bound) and trains to London to use platform 4 (normally for trains from London) wherever there are gaps they can use.

Terminating trains from London in Platform 5 and turning London-bound trains in Platform 1 (and sometimes platform 2) when they need to prune the service are also not uncommon.

It must have been a nightmare dealing with disruption in the days before the Woking platforms became bi-directional!
How long have they been bidirectional?

It may be more common to turn trains round but I've never travelled on a stopper from platform 5.

Sadly after all of that a person was hit by a train between Woking and London. My thoughts go to all those involved or affected by it.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
How long have they been bidirectional?

It may be more common to turn trains round but I've never travelled on a stopper from platform 5.

Sadly after all of that a person was hit by a train between Woking and London. My thoughts go to all those involved or affected by it.

Earlsfield. Individual removed from site alive according to local reports.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Earlsfield. Individual removed from site alive according to local reports.
That's awful. I hope it's not so serious but no doubt it will be . As it is a train involved no doubt.

I see delays are up to 120 minutes and they are running buses. They don't say where mind you. Obkt Salisbury to Romsey and Island Lines remaining with a good service.

I see there was also report of signal failure against one train earlier so that nay also have been an issue. Not the best day for South West Trains but not all their fault.

Carntyne

Props to the staff trying to piece the service back together. Nightmare job.

TEW

Established Member
Intestinal the 8.15 service from Guildford to Waterloo was only 4 minutes late leaving Woking. How in earth did it manage that when all the other trains around it were delayed by 10-30 minutes. The 8.31 from Guildford departed Worpolesden on time but was 22 minutes late leaving Woking so it wasn't a case of trains returning to normal.
There was a huge queue of train from the Basingstoke direction waiting to use Platforms 1 and 2 at Woking. However trains from the Guildford direction were able to run wrong line into the station and in to Platform 4 at Woking, which basically meant they skipped the queue. AFAIK there are no crossovers to allow a train from the Basingstoke direction to run in to anything other than Platform 1 or 2, so those services backed up very quickly.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
A marvellous bit of shortsighted thinking by Railtrack as it was then, not to put a crossover from UMF to DMF/DMS near Woking Junction, it would have helped keep things moving quite nicely.

Perhaps NR may like to consider including it in the future, like when they start transferring Woking to "The Tardis" at Basingstoke, so it doesn't cause any further issues.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks everyone for trying to keep the trains rolling as far as possible.

The 18.40 Surbiton to Woking is made up of 444 stock tonight with working WiFi for once. Train wasn't empty but there were some spare seats in the second coach from the front. Busy enough for WiFi not to work but tonight it did. It was only 5 coaches. Would have been packed to Surbiton.

I almost missed the train as unusually there was congestion around Surbiton station, no doubt due to the train issues, and my bus got held up.

Very glad I didn't miss the train though as no idea when the next train might arrive. They were only putting up known departures. National Rail Enquiries put up everything, bar ECS of course. One thing I did notice today, there wasn't any trains listed as cancelled and also as running or stops appearing twice in the same service. This was happening on the National Rail Enquiries App at times last year, during disruption.

Once I arrived to Woking, the boards were showing a late running 18.43 to Halesmere due in at 19.16. Soon there was some shouting from staff to say an additional service to Guildford was arriving. So the 18.20 Waterloo to Woking was now running onto Worplesdon and Guildford. This didn't make the departure boards. Probably saved me 8 minutes if that. I can only assume there was a gap northwards from Guildford.

At times like this they could do with megaphones. They did use the tanoy but that is quieter than staff shouting due to issues with noise and the nearby much more recently built flats. More recently built than the station that is. I assume staff shouting isn't a problem!
There was a huge queue of train from the Basingstoke direction waiting to use Platforms 1 and 2 at Woking. However trains from the Guildford direction were able to run wrong line into the station and in to Platform 4 at Woking, which basically meant they skipped the queue. AFAIK there are no crossovers to allow a train from the Basingstoke direction to run in to anything other than Platform 1 or 2, so those services backed up very quickly.
Thanks for that. Wasn't aware of that. Would it ever be worth putting in a crossover or is it just simply not required vers cost to do it. One exists from platform 5 to slow line north of the station and the reverse.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
A marvellous bit of shortsighted thinking by Railtrack as it was then, not to put a crossover from UMF to DMF/DMS near Woking Junction, it would have helped keep things moving quite nicely.

Perhaps NR may like to consider including it in the future, like when they start transferring Woking to "The Tardis" at Basingstoke, so it doesn't cause any further issues.

I'm not sure even that would have worked this morning. 2L16 failed whilst crossing from Platform 1 to the Up Fast, and blocked any movements to either up line from all platforms at Woking. It would have helped out when they got the failed train back to Platform 1 though, and were trying to run all up services just through Platform 2.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The 18.20 was extended online to Guildford but the return working hasn't been. Must be a nightmare keeping up with all this. Nothing on the station boars but staff keeping passengers informed which is great.

The Haslemere train was 5 minutes behind my train. As for the 19.24 to Portsmouth. That's not due in until 19.55!

Wonder how Southern would cope in these situations.
I'm not sure even that would have worked this morning. 2L16 failed whilst crossing from Platform 1 to the Up Fast, and blocked any movements to either up line from all platforms at Woking. It would have helped out when they got the failed train back to Platform 1 though, and were trying to run all up services just through Platform 2.
When I was at the station this morning there was a train on platform 3 not in service. This was around 8.15. Was that the failed train. Looking on RTT I can find nothing which explains what they did with the train once it was cancelled or the 7.05 ECS arrive from Basingstoke that forms the 7.07 departure to Waterloo.

TEW

Established Member
The failed train was indeed shunted to Platform 3 in the end. It caused more delay doing that, as it had to shunt from Platform on to the Up Slow line, and then in to Platform 3. The operation blocked both up lines for another 5 minutes or so.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There was one silver lining this morning. The 8.31 stopping service from Surbiton left on time.

No loner can Sadiq Khan, the London mayoral candidate, list that as a train which is 100% delayed from Surbiton.

Interestingly it was still delayed at Berrylands and New Malden so he could change the station to any of those to keep the 100% record if he so wishes.

Incidentally it was recorded as being delayed due to a rugby match and large crowds.

Some of the other trains but certinalt not all, had longer delays without any word as to way above them. Must be very difficult to keep track of which services need delay notices and which don't. I'm not blaming anyone here. Just fascinated by how it all works.

dfb9444197d28f291e9466fa4c9d96ed.jpg
916161f6edb941b47ee65b9138056a42.jpg

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
It seems that the chaos is continuing with some muppet deciding to go for a walk though Guildford's Chalk Tunnel which is some 801 yards long, in the already screwed up service.

Juice is off and all lines blocked! :roll:

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Things were really snarled up on SWT today. Arriving at New Malden at about 16.15, intending to go to Kingston, and I noticed that there were a lot of people on the up platform. The next down train was all stations to Guildford via Cobham, including Berrylands (which I thought a bit odd) in a few minutes, then an hour's wait (!) for the next Kingston service, normally a four-an-hour service. Quite a few fasts coming though, up and down. Eventually a vague announcement was made about 'the emergency services' dealing with nothing specific at an un-named station. Only when I read through the Evening Standard given out at Surbiton was the reason for the delay given, an unfortunate woman had slipped onto the track at Earlsfield and had been injured when hit by a train; this incident being described as having occurred before noon. The SWT website, viewed at 21.30, refers to this incident and to the failed train at Woking earlier in the morning; the effect of both incidents leading to serious disruption for the remainder of the day.

CatfordCat

Quite surprised by the extent of the problems this caused and for how long - service was still pretty much in tatters, even on the Windsor lines, round 7pm from London.

While website had said FGW were accepting tickets 'until further notice', the list of cancellations was pretty brief before I left work, and I didn't want to risk finding that 'further notice' had been given while I was on the underground to Paddington.

Mistake.

Some trains were coming in to Clapham Junction and being announced (via automated system) as one thing and turning out to be something else which took time to disentangle.

Several passengers (including me) unable to get on the first Reading bound train I was there for (from what I gather, one previous Reading and a Windsor had been cancelled.) Got on the next Reading bound train (one that doesn't stop between Wokingham and Reading - I live near one of the intermediate stations) thinking I could catch local bus from Wokingham if the following 'stopper' got cancelled - and it did.

Approach road and bus stops outside Wokingham Station full of parked coaches (presumably 'working to instructions' on rail replacement, but nobody around to give them instructions, station building all locked up, so coaches parked up and not doing anything.)

Local bus unable to get in to bus stop on station forecourt and had to do 9 point turn.

Fully aware these things are not as simple as joe public thinks, but can't help wondering if the situation - by then 11 hours after the incident at Earlsfield (which I recognise isn't really SWT's fault) could possibly have been being handled a bit better...

infobleep

Veteran Member
It seems that the chaos is continuing with some muppet deciding to go for a walk though Guildford's Chalk Tunnel which is some 801 yards long, in the already screwed up service.

Juice is off and all lines blocked! :roll:
As one does on A February winters night. I've been through at least two railway tunnels but not that one*. Perhaps I should visit that one next time!

*They were closed disused tunnels. I'd never seriously consider going through a working on.
Things were really snarled up on SWT today. Arriving at New Malden at about 16.15, intending to go to Kingston, and I noticed that there were a lot of people on the up platform. The next down train was all stations to Guildford via Cobham, including Berrylands (which I thought a bit odd) in a few minutes, then an hour's wait (!) for the next Kingston service, normally a four-an-hour service. Quite a few fasts coming though, up and down. Eventually a vague announcement was made about 'the emergency services' dealing with nothing specific at an un-named station. Only when I read through the Evening Standard given out at Surbiton was the reason for the delay given, an unfortunate woman had slipped onto the track at Earlsfield and had been injured when hit by a train; this incident being described as having occurred before noon. The SWT website, viewed at 21.30, refers to this incident and to the failed train at Woking earlier in the morning; the effect of both incidents leading to serious disruption for the remainder of the day.
South West Trains said at Surbiton, Woking ans Guildford that only services known to be running were being displayed. Perhaps another train did arrive within the hour but at that point wasn't known to be running.wasnt aware Guildford trains were stopping at Berrylands. I'd only checked the Woking stoppers as one in recent times did stop additionally there due to preceeding service being severely delayed or cancelled.
See there was also faults with the signalling system thus evening too. Some Portsmouth to Waterloo trains reporting that as the reason for their delays. It never rains but it pours.

I hear the lady who got hit earlier suffered a head injury. I hope she is able to make a recovery from this.
Service Disruption on 19 February 2016 – An Explanation

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry for the disruption that you would have experienced whilst travelling on our services today. *This was due to a faulty train at Woking station early this morning, followed by an incident involving the emergency services between Surbiton and Waterloo a short time afterwards.

At around 07:05 the driver of the 06:23 Basingstoke to Waterloo reported that the train had come to a halt after the brakes became locked on at Woking. The driver contacted our fault helpline, and by 07:22 the train was able to move into Woking station. This blocked one of our two busy London bound lines, which led to a large amount of congestion and delays to many services.

Shortly after the lines near Woking had been cleared an emergency call was received from the driver of a Waterloo to Dorking service, to say that they had been involved in an incident involving a person on the track. Emergency services were immediately called, and our emergency response staff were quickly on site. The injured person was helped off the lines, and trains were again able to run through the area after around 30 minutes.

Due to the amount of trains which run between Waterloo and Woking during the morning peak, this led to a large amount of congestion, with some services delayed by up to 120 minutes. *This has caused severe knock-on delays to following services, affecting the majority of routes across our network.

In order to prevent delays continuing to build and affecting additional passengers, we altered a number of services, and many trains were taken out of service and moved into our depots at Wimbledon and Clapham. *We also suspended services between Waterloo and Dorking and Waterloo and Hampton Court for a short time.

To help you complete your journey, we also arranged for tickets to be accepted on alternative services run by Southern, Great Western Railway, Thameslink, and CrossCountry, and also some London Underground and local Tfl bus routes.

I appreciate how frustrating it is when your train service doesn’t run as planned. Once again, I am very sorry for the disruption you would have experienced today.

Christian Neill

Head of Customer Experience

South West Trains

I think it's good when TOCs take the time to explain what's happened. His message is of course out of date. Since then there has been a trespass at Guildford inc no train to Woking between 20.00-21.00, signal problems - possibly down Portsmouth way and congestion of up to 20 minutes between Southampton and Basingstoke.

SWT have just been unlucky today.
Quite surprised by the extent of the problems this caused and for how long - service was still pretty much in tatters, even on the Windsor lines, round 7pm from London.

While website had said FGW were accepting tickets 'until further notice', the list of cancellations was pretty brief before I left work, and I didn't want to risk finding that 'further notice' had been given while I was on the underground to Paddington.

Mistake.

Some trains were coming in to Clapham Junction and being announced (via automated system) as one thing and turning out to be something else which took time to disentangle.

Several passengers (including me) unable to get on the first Reading bound train I was there for (from what I gather, one previous Reading and a Windsor had been cancelled.) Got on the next Reading bound train (one that doesn't stop between Wokingham and Reading - I live near one of the intermediate stations) thinking I could catch local bus from Wokingham if the following 'stopper' got cancelled - and it did.

Approach road and bus stops outside Wokingham Station full of parked coaches (presumably 'working to instructions' on rail replacement, but nobody around to give them instructions, station building all locked up, so coaches parked up and not doing anything.)

Local bus unable to get in to bus stop on station forecourt and had to do 9 point turn.

Fully aware these things are not as simple as joe public thinks, but can't help wondering if the situation - by then 11 hours after the incident at Earlsfield (which I recognise isn't really SWT's fault) could possibly have been being handled a bit better...
Couldn't the bus drivers be given remote instructions via their mobiles? Perhaps South West Trains didn't think they were needed even with the cancellations you were experiencing at that point.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member

Mistake.

It would have been worth pressing the help point at Wokingham in that situation. It goes directly to SWT control normally who may have been able to arrange something, especially as there were buses there.

waterboo

I have no doubt that South West Trains done their upmost best to provide a train service in light of the crippling incidents that occurred and, with the limited resources that they have.

However, it does strike me as unusual that an incident that occurs on the South West Mainline, could simultaneously delay/cancel/alter Windsor Line services which is largely isolated from the South West Mainline. Methinks that crews are assigned to multiple routes across the network on the same day. If that is the case, would it be a likely catalyst for the delays? Or, was it another issue that cause the situation to become network wide?

Many Thanks :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Juice rail had to be turned off for a long stretch extending beyond Clapham Junction at one stage.

Southern were also affected by the Earlsfield incident.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Juice rail had to be turned off for a long stretch extending beyond Clapham Junction at one stage.

I knew juice needed to be switched off and the sections may be long but didn't think they'd stretch as far as Clapham Junction. It's probably closer to Earlsfield than I imagine.

waterboo

The lack of juice on the metals does seem like a very logical reason. However, I'm a bit surprised that Clapham Junction would not be insulated from Earlsfield. Besides, I don't think CLJ departures for London Overground were affected by the incident(s) yesterday.

CatfordCat

Couldn't the bus drivers be given remote instructions via their mobiles? Perhaps South West Trains didn't think they were needed even with the cancellations you were experiencing at that point.

I have certainly known emergency rail replacement services run that way. I know that FGW use First Rail Support who have a national control room which is staffed 24/7 and will direct coach drivers if there isn't a FRS staff member on scene. I don't know how SWT do it.

It would have been worth pressing the help point at Wokingham in that situation. It goes directly to SWT control normally who may have been able to arrange something, especially as there were buses there.

That didn't really occur to me, to be honest. It didn't seem to warrant use of the "emergency" button, and I've been led to understand that the "enquiries" button gets you to the national rail enquiries call centre which isn't a lot of use for anything other than timetable info. (Have I been misinformed, or has it changed now?)

The lack of juice on the metals does seem like a very logical reason. However, I'm a bit surprised that Clapham Junction would not be insulated from Earlsfield. Besides, I don't think CLJ departures for London Overground were affected by the incident(s) yesterday.

I arrived at Clapham Junction (up Windsor side) around 0930 just after the 'stop everything' button had been pressed on the SW main side - Windsor line trains were still running to and from Waterloo (when I arrived, there was one heck of a crowd waiting for up Windsor trains and a train from the Wimbledon direction that was stopped in the up slow platform on the main side)

I am fairly sure that Southern services were still running as well.

And yes, LO services were still running, I got one round to Clapham High Street to pick up the northern line towards SW London.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I knew juice needed to be switched off and the sections may be long but didn't think they'd stretch as far as Clapham Junction. It's probably closer to Earlsfield than I imagine.

I can only tell you what I know. You would be surprised. Juice rail was turned off at one stage from the London end of Clapham Junction to the country end of Wimbledon.

TEW

Established Member
That didn't really occur to me, to be honest. It didn't seem to warrant use of the "emergency" button, and I've been led to understand that the "enquiries" button gets you to the national rail enquiries call centre which isn't a lot of use for anything other than timetable info. (Have I been misinformed, or has it changed now?)
It varies by TOC. The information button on SWT help points will put you through to control normally though.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It varies by TOC. The information button on SWT help points will put you through to control normally though.
Or it won't get answered, which has been my experience later at night.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member

That's down to the inadequacies of the GSM-R system. It'll stop everything stone dead in a too wide an area than necessary.

If someone uses the big red button on SWT between Waterloo & Wimbledon it can stop:

Southeastern
Southern
LOROL (West London lines)
SWT.

An incident at Putney a while back shutdown the latter 3, Southern & LOROL completely unnecessarily, it also shutdown the mainline through Wimbledon, unnecessarily.:roll:

They need to have a look and rethink into the way GSM-R works.

In this case all it needed to do was stop the stuff on the mainlines, not Southern, LOROL or Windsor lines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.