• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broken down train in the Norwood Junction area (12/03/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
Hello folks

Does anyone know what the problem is/was at Norwood Junction? All I can see on the LDBs is a First Capital Connect service that hasn't moved for a while, and there's been official mention on Twitter of a broken down train. The train I am looking at is the 1440 BDM-BTN service, which has been delayed by over 45 minutes. Other services have overtaken it but have incurred delays of up to 15-20 minutes (as per the official Twitter accounts). If this is the train involved, does anyone know what happened to it?

Cheers! :)

EDIT: The train mentioned above does now appear to have moved. I'm assuming if it had a problem, it went ECS to its depot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
Hello folks

Does anyone know what the problem is/was at Norwood Junction? All I can see on the LDBs is a First Capital Connect service that hasn't moved for a while, and there's been official mention on Twitter of a broken down train. The train I am looking at is the 1440 BDM-BTN service, which has been delayed by over 45 minutes. Other services have overtaken it but have incurred delays of up to 15-20 minutes (as per the official Twitter accounts). If this is the train involved, does anyone know what happened to it?

EDIT: The train mentioned above does now appear to have moved. I'm assuming if it had a problem, it went ECS to its depot.

It had a brake problem between New Cross Gate and Norwood Jn but came forward around 45 late. Other trains were able to bypass it. It may now have terminated at Haywards Heath to form its return working.

tsr

Established Member
It had a brake problem between New Cross Gate and Norwood Jn but came forward around 45 late. Other trains were able to bypass it. It may now have terminated at Haywards Heath to form its return working.

Thanks for that. I believe it may have run empty from East Croydon, since it didn't appear to call at Gatwick Airport (its next scheduled stop), unless I am very much mistaken - or it ran fast through there.

Do you know if this was a 377? I know some of these have had door problems recently, too, from direct experience.

At the time of typing this post, there are some delays through East Croydon and Norwood Junction, but they are mostly minor (2-10 minutes). I believe these may clear up by around 1930hrs.

D1009

Established Member
Thanks for that. I believe it may have run empty from East Croydon, since it didn't appear to call at Gatwick Airport (its next scheduled stop), unless I am very much mistaken - or it ran fast through there.

Do you know if this was a 377? I know some of these have had door problems recently, too, from direct experience.

At the time of typing this post, there are some delays through East Croydon and Norwood Junction, but they are mostly minor (2-10 minutes). I believe these may clear up by around 1930hrs.

It was a 377, but wasn't a door peoblem. Ran non stop from East Croydon to Brighton, in 34 minutes.

tsr

Established Member
It was a 377, but wasn't a door peoblem. Ran non stop from East Croydon to Brighton, in 34 minutes.

I know you said it was a brake problem, not a door problem! I was just thinking about the problems they have been having recently. Thanks for that information.

Class377/5

Established Member
Hello folks

The problem at Norwood was separate from the FCC unit in trouble. The FCC unit has a issue at Spa Road.

The Norwood Delays were caused by a 455 failing on the fast line and trains being routed around it. Can't remember the ID but it limped to Croydon as 1Z99.

Ironically it was delayed due to the air fault by 34mins!

Drove past the failed 455 at around 1540 ish, had a uckfield routed over from the down fast into platform 6 in front of me before getting the route cleared into platform 5.

It was still there about 30 mins later when coming back, think I saw the driver behind it either laying or picking up dets when leaving platform 1

Status
Not open for further replies.