• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broken droplight GWR Mk3. Set stays in service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnm

Established Member
A query is this, not criticism.

I'm currently on a GWR service that has had a broken door window entirely removed. The train remains in service and appears to be running at line speed.

I'm curious as to the safety aspect. All that has been done is a length of black and yellow tape affixed to the frame.

What sort of safety assessment takes place when this happens?

Attachments

• 20160913_182330.jpg
    20160913_182330.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 349
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Broken droplight windows are fine to run at linespeed, that's a standard defective on train equipment policy.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Considering the window can be open anyway, what difference does it make if one's missing ?

(Assuming the vestibule door's closing properly !)

coppercapped

Established Member

I'm currently on a GWR service that has had a broken door window entirely removed. The train remains in service and appears to be running at line speed.

I'm curious as to the safety aspect. All that has been done is a length of black and yellow tape affixed to the frame.

I suspect that it's just the same as running with the droplight open - noisy and draughty. I can't see that there is any difference.

The train running at line speed without the drop light window is the same as it running with the window open so not a safety issue.

TheEdge

Established Member
As long as any broken glass has been cleared from the window and area and it has been made safe and secure (as it has been in the picture) then there is no operational constraints. Obviously it will be fixed ASAP.

randyrippley

Established Member
Interesting - historically it WAS a problem on two grounds
First the removed window - on some coaches - leaves a bigger hole than a lowered windows so making it easier to fall out / open the door while in motion. Of course central door locking has changed the latter.
The second problem was a belief that the missing window could cause a vacuum effect while passing another train at speed in a tunnel and drag out windows on the second train. No idea if it was a realistic issue or not, but I can remember being on a MkI set from Holyhead which had a coach removed due to a missing droplight, and on another occasion one that was delayed until a failed droplight was boarded up and the door locked out of use.

bnm

Established Member
Cheers for the replies. I suspected there was no real safety issues.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not exactly a dropdown that opens, but an acquaintance was travelling from Cardiff on an HST London bound and as soon as he boarded the train had to make for a toilet. As the train pulled away and while he sitting in his comfort zone, he noticed there was no glass in the window thus becoming visible to anybody on the platform who may have been looking in that direction.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

As it is perfectly OK for the train to run with the droplight fully open, what, other than passenger comfort from the draught, is the difference?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not exactly a dropdown that opens, but an acquaintance was travelling from Cardiff on an HST London bound and as soon as he boarded the train had to make for a toilet. As the train pulled away and while he sitting in his comfort zone, he noticed there was no glass in the window thus becoming visible to anybody on the platform who may have been looking in that direction.

None whatsoever? A trick missed there; that should be locked OOU for precisely the kind of reason quoted. Is only the outer pane frosted, perhaps?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Originally Posted by PHILIPE View Post

None whatsoever? A trick missed there; that should be locked OOU for precisely the kind of reason quoted. Is only the outer pane frosted, perhaps?

Now, if I think back again, it was just the frosted pane that was missing, not completely open to the elements

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.