• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bromley South to Leatherhead Ticketing (Daily, Weekly and Monthly options)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Holland

Will be needing to do this journey a fair bit from the beginning of October when I change jobs.

There do not seem to be any National Rail only season ticket options either via London or not via London.

I don't want to pay the extra for underground and bus usage as I won't regularly use these and have an Oyster for when I do.

There are several not via London routings possible via Beckenham Junction, Crystal Palace, Herne Hill and Sutton but it all seems something of a palaver ticket wise.

Any help appreciated.

Ta

Neil

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Try going frmo leatherhead as it then throws up a few options including 4-6 & 1-6 Travelcards

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Well you say you don't want to pay extra for bus availability but buying a combination of National Rail-only seasons is very likely going to be more expensive than a Travelcard, so it's not really "paying extra". A Leatherhead to Zones 4-6 season "SOUTHERN ONLY" (the Southern restriction applies only to the journey outside the zones, i.e. between Ewell East and Leatherhead) is £42.80 weekly, for example: http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=LHD&dest=BMS&grpd=0057&rte=777&tkt=7TS It would cover you for the route via Beckenham Junction, Crystal Palace and West Croydon and you'd get unlimited travel on all London buses and trams included.

Also, for a new commute like this, it's often a good idea to try different potential routes, one week at a time, to see what suits you best before settling on buying a longer-term season ticket for the best route.

Neil Holland

Thanks. I'm also not sure whether I'll cycle a few days per week and I might well be travelling too.

The Leatherhead to Z4-6 is something I hadn't thought of.

In my London commuting days (before cycling) I would always by Bromley South to London Terminals and walk rather than getting a Z1-5 travelcard that was much dearer.

So, the annual season for Bromley South to London Terminals is about £1,600 per year, and the annual for Leatherhead to London Terminals £2,184 per year on "Southern only".

I may have an option for you, however...

If you get the Leatherhead to London Zones 1-6 season for £2,860 per year, that will enable you to travel to Bromley South anyway - Bromley South is in Zone 5. Or £3,048 if you want the freedom to travel to Leatherhead on South West Trains also.

Obviously, you don't need to go for the annual options - I'm just using the extreme as the examples. Monthlies will be much cheaper than this.

I'm sure one of the fares advisors will turn up and provide a better solution if there is one. :)

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
Thanks. I'm also not sure whether I'll cycle a few days per week and I might well be travelling too.

The Leatherhead to Z4-6 is something I hadn't thought of.

In my London commuting days (before cycling) I would always by Bromley South to London Terminals and walk rather than getting a Z1-5 travelcard that was much dearer.
The price difference between that Travelcard and a combination of a Z5-Z5 "not via London" season (such as Bromley South-Sutton) together with a Sutton-Leatherhead one is negligible, but there's still a trade-off.

Season tickets allow you to make a journey which goes beyond zone 4-6 in South London in various ways, which can be useful.

On the other hand, they make it harder to tell what sort of journeys you can actually make with a ticket. Bromley-Crystal Palace-Sutton-Leatherhead and Bromley-Penge East & West-Sutton-Leatherhead should be fine, but less direct routes depend on the vagaries of the routeing guide and/or web sites. This is that bit harder to check if the start and end points on the ticket aren't anywhere you particularly want to go.

You can't use Tramlink with a "not via London" season ticket (that I know of), either, but I have no idea whether or not that would be useful in this sort of situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.