• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross-City Electrification from Barnt Green to Bromsgrove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pistonvalve

Any chance of some pictures. Is the work carried out at night? I suppose the incline is closed to traffic with diversions.

59CosG95

Established Member
Any chance of some pictures. Is the work carried out at night? I suppose the incline is closed to traffic with diversions.

I'd imagine it'd be carried out at night, as substantially fewer trains are running then; it's bare apart from the occasional freight. Funnily enough, the Wentloog-Daventry return Tesco trains are going up the Lickey and via Selly Oak this week (!) so I don't think there's a blockade in place!

59CosG95

Established Member
Just checking the London Midland Planned Engineering works site, and I found some more engineering work dates.

1) Monday 3rd April-Thursday 6th April; Barnt Green-Ashchurch (presumably Abbotswood Jct), all LM trains to Worcester & Hereford after 2145 are diverted to avoid UNI & BMV (presumably going via Galton Jct), with RRBs in operation between DTW & BMV. All XC services after this time will also omit their stop at UNI (for Notts-Cardiff trains) and travel via Galton Jct.

2) Monday 17th April-Thursday 20th April; same as 1).

3) Sunday 23rd April; all LM trains to Worcester & Hereford will be diverted via Galton Jct. No Cross-City service south of New Street before 1600; service from Trent Valley to Longbridge only after that. All XC services will be similarly diverted.

4) Monday 15th May-Thursday 18th May; same as 1).

5) Monday 29th May-Thursday 1st June; same as 1).

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The WMCA are now reporting at meetings that there will be no electric service until May 2018, link to info below.

Actually, it says the "full" Bromsgrove service will not be until May 2018.
Leaves the possibility of starting some services earlier.

Also in the linked documents are the dates of Chase line summer blockades, and blockades linked to New St resignalling over Christmas/New Year.
It talks about higher line speeds exiting New St, and more turnback facilities.

TheDavibob

Will there be sufficient 323s available by then to run it without reducing capacity elsewhere on the line, anyway?

Old Hill Bank

Also in the linked documents are the dates of Chase line summer blockades, and blockades linked to New St resignalling over Christmas/New Year.
It talks about higher line speeds exiting New St, and more turnback facilities.

You refer to this section:-

TfWM are also working with London Midland, Network Rail and other Train
Operating Companies to plan the management of the New Street and Soho
area signalling works being undertaken over the Christmas period this year.
This will see major railway closures taking place during late December and early
January to allow for the renewal of a large amount of 1966 signalling which is
now life expired together with the recasting, remodelling, upgrading and
renewing of key track junctions. The £246m scheme will deliver a number of
passenger and operational benefits including improved reliability, increased
track capacity, enhanced line speeds exiting New Street and provision of turn
back systems. Closures will affect the various parts of the network from the
evening of 23/12/2017 to 03/01/2018. Main impacts will be on services on the
Chase Line, Birmingham to Wolverhampton and the Snow Hill line. Entry and
exit of Soho Depot which stables and maintains some of London Midland’s
electric trains will also be affected and this will need to be carefully managed.
As more detail on timescales, areas affected by the blockades and passenger
impacts are known, updates will be provided to committee. Further works are
also planned in May 2018 around Birmingham International and in December
2021 around New Street Station."

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisHogan

Will there be sufficient 323s available by then to run it without reducing capacity elsewhere on the line, anyway?

First Northern 323s don't come off lease until November 2018. Otherwise the new West Midlands franchise will be shortforming more trains.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Bromsgrove rail passengers face using bus service

Rail passengers going from Bromsgrove to Birmingham this week face using a replacement bus service due to a trains shortage and a busy Easter break.
Signage at the station was warning people certain services were already very busy before they arrive there and alternative transport may be needed.
Operators London Midland said the firm could not just put more trains on.
It said there "aren't enough diesel trains left in the country to meet the demand that we're seeing".
Spokesman Francis Thomas added: "So rather than leave people stranded we felt this was the right thing to do.
"The good news next year is the line to Bromsgrove gets electrified and three extra trains an hour will run on that route."
Sarah Wooledge tried to get on a train on Wednesday, but had to get a bus and missed her connection to London.
She said: "Unfortunately we were told that the train was full from Hereford and they had lots of problems and couldn't fit us on.
"So we had to get a bus to Longbridge and then from Longbridge a train up into New Street."

Image featured on BBC H&W Facebook page.

I suppose this partly goes to illustrate the issues of overcrowding that affect the line. Is is this a technique that is commonly employed elsewhere?

WesternS

Passing on the M42 westbound yesterday (Thursday 18th) noticed that masts are up on the line by the motorway over-bridge (although only visible as a car passenger not driver). A couple of Sundays ago also noted a couple of steel piles ready to go in just to the north of Barnt Green station which would close the gap between platforms 1/2 and the existing electrification. Nothing to be seen of masts on platforms 1 and 2 themselves then although there may well be something by now.

Parallel

Established Member
Bromsgrove rail passengers face using bus service

Image featured on BBC H&W Facebook page.

I suppose this partly goes to illustrate the issues of overcrowding that affect the line. Is is this a technique that is commonly employed elsewhere?

Rail replacement buses for overcrowding? It happens when the trains are rammed between Exeter St David's and Barnstaple (But calls at Barnstaple only) and between Truro and Falmouth (I believe stopping at the same stations as the train)

Idon'tKnow

Here's an idea, to replace the xc Bromsgrove calls, why not have some of the 6 coach morning peak trains attach portions at Longbridge? For example the 0732 from Redditch could be formed of three coaches and (for arguments sake) there could be a 0737 service from Bromsgrove also formed of three coaches. Could these join at Longbridge to form the 0752 ? As the 0732 already waits 5 minutes at Longbridge as it is. Or can class 323's not couple / uncouple easily , or is 5 minutes too short to attach portions?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Until the electrification works are complete, there's no chance of getting any class 323s down to the station — the proposed service will be 3 Cross-City trains per hour so there will be no need for services that join with those from Redditch. Outbound services from Birmingham will simply alternate between Bromsgrove and Redditch.

Idon'tKnow

I am not stupid of course I know the proposed service pattern. :roll:

I meant that if the electrification gets finished by December, but there is no additional rolling stock and the XC stops are removed.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

I meant that if the electrification gets finished by December, but there is no additional rolling stock and the XC stops are removed.

Don't think the signalling at Longbridge allows permissive working anyway.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

I wasn't trying to patronise, merely I couldn't quite understand why you were suggesting it so wanted to check you were aware of all the plans.

I don't think the units (on the Cross-City specifically) are customarily joined/split in service at present, though I may be wrong - it might not be possible with the fairly tight timetable on the line, given there are other LM and XC services.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Rapidly is right, it's only been a few weeks (actually no, maybe a bit more) since I last went up that way and none of that was up then. Coming on well fair game!

WesternS

Just an update for those interested in this one - based on a short visit to Barnt Green station last Sunday (13th Aug).

1. Clearly visible from platforms 1/2, a TTC between the Hewell Lane bridge and the M42 bridge.

2. Mast base in place on Barnt Green station platform 2, and scrapes/cast sleeve on platform 1.

3. Replacement of (previous cheaper XCity electrification) headspans on the Redditch branch (1x) and on the mainline (3x) by the steel cross-line installations similar to those in the photos above at Bromsgrove station. I would assume the purpose is to provide a more robust structure to allow the wires to 'cross-over' etc to the main line as well as go down the Redditch branch ? (Not quite sure how it all will work on the mainline track section north of Barnt Green - perhaps the Planner can advise ?)

Unfortunately no photos as the phone ran out of juice just at that point.... Have some photos for the Lickey Incline from a trip to/from Cheltenham in early July and from these it looks like a real mixture of TTC, paired masts and so on depending it seems on clearances and ability to pile next to properties/space to install masts etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

linuxlad7

Richard Dugdale Network Rail sponsor has written a brief note for Barnt Green Parish Council (on PC web site) Full energising by end of year, treat all wires as live.
full service by end of May.
and lifts at Barnt Green? not yet awhile!
bob

well the next suggested date was 27th(which sounded fairly definite) and that's gone now still with quite a lot of wire, hangers and bits to come

Last edited:

linuxlad7

From that, they are going to have to shift to power on the wires in 6 weeks time...

your solitary picture of the station area hardly gives a correct impression of the mast steelwork - 90per cent or more was erected by end of last month. The line of ttcs marching up the licky bank look quite fetching, {pity about the wires in between}.

see say the www/rmweb site for a comprehensive set of pics

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.