• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BRSA Clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of these still exist albeit in renamed form? I'm from an old school railway family background and these were quite a good social facility for staff and used to visit them as a kid, there used to be one under Picadilly station in Mcr, various depots had them as well nationwide.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I walked past "The Railway Club" in Wind St, Swansea earlier this week.
There is still a Railwaymens Club in Aberystwyth.
I think there are still Clubs in Hereford and Worcester.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
In Edgeley Stockport the former BRSA Club still exists as far as I know although now known as LMRCA Club.

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Scarborough one is still there and trading.

Manchester victoria one still exists, frequented by urbexers now...

Rover

I used to go to the one in Doncaster. It was inside the works complex. No idea if it still exists though.

Raul_Duke

Hollingwood (next door to Barrow Hill) had one until very recently. The attached sports fields are still known as the BRSA sports fields.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
York/Fratton/Woking still about; although not frequented by as many railway staff as previously

dk1

Veteran Member
Does anyone know where the 48p a month that i have been paying since 1984 actually goes nowadays? Asked many times but cannot seem to get a definitive answer. Thanks.

Devonman2014

Exeter still has one

Opposite the bottom of the exist steps of platform 1 at St Thomas Stn.

Still have bands, disco's etc and a few nice pubs in area as well.

Established Member
One still at Port Talbot.

Many I have frequented have now gone like Kings Cross, Kentish Town, Marylebone, Euston, Old Oak Common, Stratford and Willesden.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Exeter still has one

Opposite the bottom of the exist steps of platform 1 at St Thomas Stn.

Still have bands, disco's etc and a few nice pubs in area as well.

That's excellent & I never knew. Will be down there in a couple of weeks so will give it a look. No membership cards these days so best take a payslip.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Used to be one at Cardington Street NW1 - up a rickety flght of wooden stairs - above the much missed Collectors Corner...(old stable block)

pitdiver

An old girlfriend of mine's parents lived in Ashford. Her father worked in the works. We would often go down to Ashford for the weekend. Many a pleasant evening was spent in the BRSA there.

steamybrian

Established Member
An old girlfriend of mine's parents lived in Ashford. Her father worked in the works. We would often go down to Ashford for the weekend. Many a pleasant evening was spent in the BRSA there.

Ashford BRSA club is still in operation. Sited in Beaver Road about 100 yards south of Ashford International station

Carlisle

Established Member
One still at Port Talbot.

Many I have frequented have now gone like Kings Cross, Kentish Town, Marylebone, Euston, Old Oak Common, Stratford and Willesden.
If I remember correctly, Euston and Waterloo (and probably more) were rather hidden underneath the station so probably weren't viable locations to keep going once BR finished with them.

Last edited:
Had many a happy hour in the Cardiff BRSA in Adamsdown. It has been a long time since I was there last, so I don't know if it is still there.

The loss of working clubs generally is sad.

LowLevel

Established Member
Kirkby in Ashfield of all places still has one outside the current station.

Redonian

Two in Rugby
Railway Club - now LMRCA next to where the old Central Station used to be and The Rugby United Railwaymen's Club & Institute, unsurprisingly in Railway Terrace.

T-key

Still one in Wrexham, less than 5 min walk from Wrexham Central.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
On a slight point of order, I have seen the acronyms BRSA and LMRCA mentioned a few times in this thread, but nobody has actually mentioned what they actually mean.

Could somebody say what they are supposed to mean? I believe that one of the main policies of this forum is not to use acronyms or abbreviations without first saying what they mean.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
On a slight point of order, I have seen the acronyms BRSA and LMRCA mentioned a few times in this thread, but nobody has actually mentioned what they actually mean.

Could somebody say what they are supposed to mean? I believe that one of the main policies of this forum is not to use acronyms or abbreviations without first saying what they mean.

British Rail Staff Association & London Midland Railway Clubs Association, hope that helps.

Trackman

Established Member
I remember the Manchester Victoria one (underground). They had acts on at weekends!

HLE

Established Member
Two in Rugby
Railway Club - now LMRCA next to where the old Central Station used to be and The Rugby United Railwaymen's Club & Institute, unsurprisingly in Railway Terrace.

There used to be one up the road in Hilmorton back in the day IIRC.

les.

The 2 nearest to me are both still there albeit now renamed.

The one in Grimsby is now The Carr Lane Social Club and the one in Immingham is now The Blossom Way Sports Club. Both are still quite popular and well used still.

steamybrian

Established Member
I am unsure if the one in St. Leonards is still in operation adjacent to the up platform of Warrior Square station. ..?

I also remember visiting the now closed Waterloo club hidden under the station with its entrance off Waterloo Road. Amongst others long since closed include East Croydon which was sited in the car park adjacent to platform 1. It was closed around 1990 and then used as a temporary ticket office in the early 1990s whilst the station was being rebuilt. The building was demolished in the late 1990s.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The one in York is still going ( the big red building) just along from the station. Sadly the one in Bletchley is long gone.

In Darlington we still had a Railway Institute up north road ( where the works were) and the Railway Athletic Club on Brinkburn Road (beyond the old NER headquarters) who still run a decent club and cricket and football teams. Not sure if either were ever BRSA mind!

There is one at Eastleigh although i don't think it is badged as such anymore. I think that the BRSA organisation was split off into a separate organisation (NARC?) with areas based on the old BR regions ( hence LMRCA)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.