• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bruges vs Gent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget88

Which do you prefer? I prefer Burges more trotisty but Ghent has some tacky shops and McDonald’s in the centre and trams not easy to navigate.

I do like the castle in Gent. I never found too many trousists when I visited Gent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
Gent. Bruges is nice but very tourist; Gent is a working city that happens to have a lot of beautiful buildings. Ironically, the biggest pain about Gent is the walk to St Pieters station !

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I'll be back in Ghent this November for the Zesdaagse... my third time in four years. We haven't visited Bruges yet (because watching cycle racing from 6PM-1AM over six days leads to some very lazy starts), but we plan to. Others have said Ghent is a lot more pleasant for a stay of a few nights or more. You can get more for your money from the hotels and AirBnB options, and there are fewer tourists and daytrippers. It definitely feels like a more real Belgian city, with more students too, keeping it young and lively.

Groningen

Established Member
Gent and Brugge are only 22 minutes apart. Return ticket 13,60 euro; in the weekend 50 % reduction. You can do both if you want to.

Spoorslag '70

Costs much more from Brussels though
Not too much more for anyone under 26, over 65 or making 10 journey, which can get any journey for a very cheap price (Go Pass 1/10 (1 or 10 journeys between any two stations for 6,40€ or 52€)), Seniorenbiljet (6,50€ for any return!) and Rail Pass (any 10 journeys on the network for 77€) respectivley).

I found Gent much more intresting than Brugge, far less touristy and a nice tram network.

newmilton

Lots to see in Ghent. I had a pleasant couple of days there last month, taking in the major churches, fine arts museum, design museum and city museum, as well as the castle. €80 per night for a spacious room at the Hotel Erasmus near the historic centre.

Belgian restaurants can be a bit pricey by comparison with its neighbour to the south, but the beer is worth it (and I'm not a big beer drinker!).

duesselmartin

Established Member
Expensive ? In western Europe, only Italy bas cheaper trains than Belgium.
I can confirm that. I am now in Liguria and the cheapest thing here are the trains. And Trenitalia is a lot better than 20 years ago. But that is OT.
Weekend travel in Belgium is good value for money eith frequent services.

Birkonian

Gent is larger and a wonderful working city but Brugge is my favourite city in Europe. Everything can be done on foot, very relaxed atmosphere. I recommend it at Christmas when the ice rink, stalls and lights transform the place. A 12 minute train gets you to the coast which is well worth a trip. Brugge has more top class beer bars in a 10 minute walk than anywhere else I know.

MarcVD

And remember that from Ghent, you can taken a train to Eeklo, where the Stoom Centrum Maldegem operates a tourist steam train. A very serious organisation, the largest collection of railway rolling stock in Flanders. They don't operated every day though, or not even for the whole year, so check before you go.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I prefer Gent, not so touristy and the architecture is largely the same. Bar wise there's not much difference but the Gent ones are less busy. There is or was a nice swimming pool near Gent St Pieters station

dlj83

I love Gent, I'd recommend Hotel Gravensteen for a moderately priced central hotel.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Friends getting 2 cheap tickets - Sat 9am ish from St Pancras to Brussels , but ultimate destination (for cycling observation) - I assume they can add Brussels to Gent onto their E* booking ?

If not - is there a special weekend cheapo fare to buy at Midi as mentioned above. Thanks in advance.

gazthomas

Established Member
Both are nice and close to each other. Of the two though I like Bruges more, a timewarp of a place and while touristy during the day it changes character in the evening, becoming a nice intimate place

MarcVD

Friends getting 2 cheap tickets - Sat 9am ish from St Pancras to Brussels , but ultimate destination (for cycling observation) - I assume they can add Brussels to Gent onto their E* booking ?

If not - is there a special weekend cheapo fare to buy at Midi as mentioned above. Thanks in advance.

On week rends, the return (I.e. two way) ticket is at the price of the single...
But doesn' t E* still sell the 'any belgian station' ticket ?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
On week rends, the return (I.e. two way) ticket is at the price of the single...
But doesn' t E* still sell the 'any belgian station' ticket ?

Thanks - I later checked -£10 return as an add on .....they will enjoy the ride I hope , and the cycling event.

The weekend return to Gent is slightly cheaper, at EUR 10,40, than ES's add-on fare. You can get the tickets easily from the machines at Midi station, there's even a screen in English! Or get a ticket via NMBS's app which is really straightforward to use compared with those I have tried to add to my phone in England.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The weekend return to Gent is slightly cheaper, at EUR 10,40, than ES's add-on fare. You can get the tickets easily from the machines at Midi station, there's even a screen in English! Or get a ticket via NMBS's app which is really straightforward to use compared with those I have tried to add to my phone in England.

Thank you - will pass it on !

Status
Not open for further replies.