• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brussel Zuid - Aachen Sud (Grenzebahnhof)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm railstaff and am wondering what the FIP fare is from Brussel Zuid to Aachen Sud (Gr). I get 75% discount for internal Belgian journeys but have been told that only 50% for those that cross an international boundary?

I'm travelling further to Aachen Hbf but will have a free coupon for Germany. I'm travelling later on in the year in Belgium so wish to keep the Belgian free coupon back.

(I've been told that salaried staff get 2x coupons a year for Belgium. Now I'm an ex Clerical Officer but now a Guard but I'm paid every four weeks like the rest of the workforce (some weekly paid staff may be still hiding out in remote Highland outposts?) and until quite recently my pay lines stated S/C for salaried/clerical).

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
I'm railstaff and am wondering what the FIP fare is from Brussel Zuid to Aachen Sud (Gr). I get 75% discount for internal Belgian journeys but have been told that only 50% for those that cross an international boundary?

I'm travelling further to Aachen Hbf but will have a free coupon for Germany. I'm travelling later on in the year in Belgium so wish to keep the Belgian free coupon back.

(I've been told that salaried staff get 2x coupons a year for Belgium. Now I'm an ex Clerical Officer but now a Guard but I'm paid every four weeks like the rest of the workforce (some weekly paid staff may be still hiding out in remote Highland outposts?) and until quite recently my pay lines stated S/C for salaried/clerical).

Cheers.

Not sure of the details of what you say, but do you know Aachen is not far at all from the Belgian border. Is it worth wasting your free German coupon on that?

Do your coupons cover Thalys or German ICE trains? They operate directly to Aachan from Brussels, stopping only at Liege, and the Thalys ones have to be reserved. The alternative is to take an NMBS train to Liege, Verviers or Welkenraedt and then take the (quite fast) interregional train to Aachen - I say this since I wonder if some split-ticketing like we do in the UK might reduce the
price.

Or you could go to Eupen, at the end of the NMBS network and take the (I think) no 15 bus which is hourly to Aachen.

If you're not bothered about the Thalys/ICE - and the NMBS train does take fast lines between Brussels and Liege, I would change there (or at Verviers or at Welkenraedt). I think they are two-hourly Liege - Aachen.

Last edited:

KingBBoogaloo

Ive done Bruxelles-Aachen none Thalys/ICE a few times.

Took the Eupen IC to Verviers Central and changed there for the stopper to Aachen Hbf.

Ticketing was FIP Singe (75% discount) to Aachen Sud (Gr) which is the boarder point, then Coupons beond.

Benno

Cheers.

If you are travelling to Brussels on staff rate Eurostar, you can ask for the "Any Belgian Station" option which is £5.50 extra. This allows you to travel on any SNCB service (not ICE or Thalys) as far as Welkenraedt, which is close to the German border. Then all you need is a Welkenraedt - Aachen ticket (which I presume can be bought at FIP rate at Brussels station).

Eurostar prices: http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/RSTDocuments/NewArticles/C4823AN FIP WEB 011211.pdf

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for above. I'll be on the DB ICE. My mum is with me on a London Spezial ticket to Luebeck. We're breaking the journey at Aachen for two nights - & will be doing some travelling along the Baltic coast.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.