Brussels Airport to Kortenburg

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by heart-of-wessex, 5 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heart-of-wessex

heart-of-wessex Established Member

Hello,

I'm going plane spotting this weekend at Brussels Airport, and want to get to the approach spot by the runway, which is a rough 10 min walk from Kortenburg. Although there's a line on Google Maps from the airport to this station, trying to find anything on the Belgian Rail site is a nightmare. I tried Brussels Airport to Kortenburg Station Zuid, and told me to get a bus? I tried a different day and had the same thing.

Does nothing from the airport run this way, or if they do they go straight through? How do I get to Kortenburg on the train?

Any help is much appreciated :)

2. 30907

30907 Established Member

Using the SNCB site and specifying train only shows you'd have to change at Zaventem.
    It also tells you that SNCB charge a supplement for travel to or from the airport. The bus might be sensible!

Last edited: 5 May 2015
  3. heart-of-wessex

Blooming heck, might be better then!

Never used a bus abroad before, could be a laugh although at least it's sounds pronounceable when asking the driver for what I assume is pronounced like 'Court-en-berg'

Apparently buses are free to bus stops around the perimeter, might have to look if there's a bus stop nearby.

4. HilversumNS

HilversumNS Member

If you pronounce 'Court-en-berg' you will probably get away with it if you encounter a flemish speaking bus driver, but if he only speaks french .......:roll:

A little trick I often use when going to difficult-to-pronounce places is to write down the destination, so I can show them the bit of paper if my language abilities fail me.

5. Groningen

Groningen Established Member

6. HilversumNS

HilversumNS Member

I'm aware that Zavantem is flemish speaking, but they start talking funny not too far away :)

As I live in the UK these days, I tend to turn left when I get off the ferry at Calais and apart from stopping in Adinkerke to get tobacco and petrol, I tend to boot it all the way to Breda or beyond.

To me, the flemish speak funny anyway, having not lived in the Netherlands for most of my life.

7. Groningen

Groningen Established Member

Going south from the airport the first 4 towns in the french part of Belgium are Waterloo, La Hulpe, Rixensart and Wavre.

8. dutchflyer

dutchflyer Member

waterloo, terhulpen, Waver. many towns/communes around there are officially bilingual.
    Back to OP; use the site of delIJN.be, the Flemish buses, recently upgraded a lot with googlemaps and all that. times differ in BE an awful lot between weekdays/ends!
    On deLIJN buses you simply pay driver anytime you board 3 eur-ticket valid for 60 mins, or a daypass for 7 eur. ANywhere in Vlaanderen, allday.

9. heart-of-wessex

Thanks for the help again guys :)

Turns out our Novotel was a 10 min walk from Zaventem station, handy!! Used this for getting to/from the City and Kortenberg. Just as well my mate had his card with him, as that's all that could be used for payment as it wouldn't accept any coins at all (all crossed out on the payment screen too).

I do wonder though, if it was just me, I would only be able to pay with coins or notes (and it won't do notes anyway) would I be able to pay on the train on the basis I don't have a credit card?

10. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

There is a surcharge of 7.00 euros for buying tickets on the train, and cards and cash are accepted, however

http://www.belgianrail.be/en/customer-service/FAQ/boordtarief.aspx

11. atillathehunn

atillathehunn Member

Buses in the Flemish part of Belgium are a breeze. In the south things can get a little more interesting.

The policy on buying on the train incurring a surcharge is inconsistently applied. I commuted for a few months to a job in Brussels once or twice I needed to buy either a new ticket altogether or an add-on ticket to my Belgium only Go-Pass or something and guard didn't bat an eye lid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.