• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brussels Midi - Luxembourg loco-hauled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tractionman

hi folks,

I wonder if anyone can advise me whether there are any loco-hauled turns for the Brussels-Luxembourg service on weekdays?

I plan to leave Midi between 07:00 and 09:00, returning in the evening on the same day.

I have a bit of spare time too on the evening in Brussels and early Tue so should I head somewhere within/around Brussels for good freight photos?

Any advice most welcome, thanks.

cheers,

Keith

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blackfive460

I believe all the Brussels - Luxembourg trains are units. If you want loco haulage you'll need to go via Liège.

Established Member
There used to be an EC just after 07:00 ("Vauban") but I am a little out of touch on these sort of things at the moment and I can't find it on any journey planners, EC "Iris" still runs at 13:09 but that is probably too late for your purposes. There also used to be some class 13 hauled IC trains formed of double deck stock but I will need to check some up-to-date Belgian diagrams to see if they still work.

Established Member
The 0733 Brussels - Luxembourg is still hauled with a Class 20 on SNCB stock
The ECs return as 1700 and 2000 Luxembourg - Brussels, or as above you can go via Liege which is longer but a nice run through the Ardennes.

If you do end up on a "rubber ring" EMU, they are not too bad and probably better than anything we've got for similar duties.

Tractionman

hi folks,

Excellent - thanks very much for the replies and gen - I'll go for the 07.33 then.

If FlyBe get me to Brussels first ... currently delayed at Manchester!

cheers,

Keith

Tractionman

Wow what a great resource, toerist! Many thanks.

I just missed your posting as I was outbound this morning quite early as I had intended to get the 07.33 ("Vauban") from Midi to Lux, but this was cancelled or at least very heavily delayed so I had to get the next train, the 08.33, which was slower and picked up delays enroute. It was double-deck stock hauled today by SNCB loco 1354.

On my return I got the 17.00 ex Lux that had come from Zurich via Basel, with SBB stock. This was hauled by SNCB 2006 to Midi, having arrived into Lux behind SNCF 26161. I was pleased to get a trip on a proper train, especially after the morning's disappointment!

For the record, I also spotted, along the way, the following diesel locos: 5301, 5306 and 5311 (plus one other) stabled at the depot outside Arlon (at Stocken), as well as 6305 and 6267 at Gembloux.

All in all I enjoyed using SNCB - friendly staff and loco-hauled trains.

cheers,

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.