• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brussels Midi to Antwerp Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengolding

Hoping for some help.

I've booked Standard Premier singles on Eurostar for a party of 4 to Brussels Midi on 7 July on the 12:58 arriving 16:08. 2 blind members of the group can travel to any Belgian station free. The other 2 "Companion" tickets only allow travel to Midi.

So I'm looking to book 2 First Class singles from Brussels Midi to Antwerp Central. Eurostar have advised the 2 Standard Premier tickets can't be used on Thalys services. I've gone on the Belgian Rail website (www.belgianrail.be). However, I can't select any dates for July (7 July in our case). Tried a random date in June and found a fast 16:50-17:45 service with a decent price for 2 First Class single tickets.

Am I doing something wrong or can I not book any tickets in July at the moment?

Not travelled on Belgian Rail before, what is First Class like on their Intercity services? Any complimentaries offered? Also, is the transfer from Eurostar to domestic platforms relatively easy at Brussels Midi? I need to also book disabled assistance for the group for the Belgian trip.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
Not travelled on Belgian Rail before, what is First Class like on their Intercity services? Any complimentaries offered? Also, is the transfer from Eurostar to domestic platforms relatively easy at Brussels Midi? I need to also book disabled assistance for the group for the Belgian trip.

IC trains between Brussels and Antwerp are very frequent and are non-reservable so you can just get the ticket at the station and jump on the next train. There are no freebies in 1st class and in any case it is only about 50 km. You can get a ticket online if you prefer and print it out which can be used any train that day, but it is no cheaper. It just saves you using the ticket machine or ticket office.

williamn

The transfer at Brussels is not too bad. You have to leave the Eurostar terminal by lift or escalator (or stairs) and then go to the main concourse area. Walking from train to main concourse shouldn't take any more than 5-10 mins depending on which end of the Eurostar you're on.

Quakkerillo

The booking window for national tickets within Belgium is 1 month, so you have to be patient for a bit longer.

1st Class is nothing different from 2nd Class. A little more padding, but still 2+2 seats, except on certain double-decker trains to Essen (B) where it's 2+1 above, but it's also 2+1 on the 2nd Class. No complimentaries at all further.

If you have prebooked the tickets, either exit via the front of the train towards the main concourse (busiest exit) or via the back of the Eurostar to the secondary hallway. You'll arrive at platform 1 or 2, trains to Antwerp generally run at platforms 18-20, with the exception of the regular intercity to Amsterdam, which often departs from platform 13. This is also the only train with a significant difference between first and second class, as it's run with Dutch rolling stock.

bengolding

The booking window for national tickets within Belgium is 1 month, so you have to be patient for a bit longer.

1st Class is nothing different from 2nd Class. A little more padding, but still 2+2 seats, except on certain double-decker trains to Essen (B) where it's 2+1 above, but it's also 2+1 on the 2nd Class. No complimentaries at all further.

If you have prebooked the tickets, either exit via the front of the train towards the main concourse (busiest exit) or via the back of the Eurostar to the secondary hallway. You'll arrive at platform 1 or 2, trains to Antwerp generally run at platforms 18-20, with the exception of the regular intercity to Amsterdam, which often departs from platform 13. This is also the only train with a significant difference between first and second class, as it's run with Dutch rolling stock.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

Is the regular Intercity train to Amsterdam the Thalys service? The 2 Standard Premier tickets prohibit travel on Thalys. Our Eurostar arrives Midi at 16:08. The Belgian rail site showed a fast 16:50 to Antwerp Central taking 45 minutes. As 3 of us are visually impaired, looking to book 1st for the added chance of getting a seat. I assume the Standard Premier Eurostar tickets are also valid in 1st to Antwerp? Thanks.

Veteran Member
I assume the Standard Premier Eurostar tickets are also valid in 1st to Antwerp? Thanks.

Yes they are.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is the regular Intercity train to Amsterdam the Thalys service?

No, it's the successor to the old Benelux Intercity, reintroduced after the failure of the FRA high speed service and numerous complaints.

Quakkerillo

The regular intercity to Amsterdam is not the Thalys one; it's the 16:45 service, which is slower than the 16:50 due to being routed via Brussels airport, but it should be a bit quieter compared to the fast one. This is because it only is used by passengers to The Netherlands, with all Belgian domestic passengers using the 16:50.

The 16:50 comes from Charleroi, and should generally be of the double decker type, where there's absolutely no difference between first and second class.
Tickets routed for any Belgian station in Standard Premier can be used in 1st class indeed.

bengolding

The regular intercity to Amsterdam is not the Thalys one; it's the 16:45 service, which is slower than the 16:50 due to being routed via Brussels airport, but it should be a bit quieter compared to the fast one. This is because it only is used by passengers to The Netherlands, with all Belgian domestic passengers using the 16:50.

The 16:50 comes from Charleroi, and should generally be of the double decker type, where there's absolutely no difference between first and second class.
Tickets routed for any Belgian station in Standard Premier can be used in 1st class indeed.

Thanks for that. Can you provide the journey times for the 1645 & 1650 services? Judging by what you've said, the 1645 has 2+1 seating and the 1650 2+2? As both are non reservable, would the 4 of us have a better chance of getting 1st seats on the 1645 (not knowing the number of 1st seats on the 1650)?

Quakkerillo

16.45 - 17.43, while it's 16.50 - 17.35.
First one indeed 2+1 seats, and also 2 6-seater compartments at one end of the 1st class carriage. The 16.50 will be 2+2.

Getting a seat won't be a problem on either, the 16.50 will though be fuller when it gets to Brussels North, but you'd already be seated then.

If you want to be 8 minutes earlier, go with the 16.50. If you want a slightly quieter train with better 1st class, use the 16.45.

AlexNL

Established Member
First Class on the "Benelux" service is rather good. The coaches are quiet and the seats are good: they're wide, soft, and have leather upholstery. They're definitely okay to spend an hour on - I would even spend 3 on them.

Don't expect any freebies though, you pay for the better seat and less passengers in the carriage. There's not much more to it, unlike on Eurostar or Thalys.

Status
Not open for further replies.