• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brussles to Hamburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunx2005

I've recently booked a trip to Hamburg to go and watch the awesome Fc St.Pauli and I was just wondering what route my sleeper train will take from Brussles?
( I am getting the Eurostar to Brussels as well :D )

Also, Is it true that you can buy a ticket for 3/5 people for 30 Euros and can travel anywhere in Germany? :o

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Also, Is it true that you can buy a ticket for 3/5 people for 30 Euros and can travel anywhere in Germany? :o

The ticket you are talking about is the "Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket" which is available on Saturdays and Sundays - full details at http://www.bahn.de/p/view/international/englisch/travelservice/price_tourist.shtml

Note that it is valid on local trains only - ie not IC or EC services. They are however valid on RE (Regional Express) services. Last year, myself and a friend managed to do Dusseldorf to Stralsund via Berlin on this ticket, although it did take all day and involved five or six changes of train!

chunx2005

Liege, Aachen, Dortmund,Munster, Osnabruck, Bremen.
Nice comfy beds too, was 101 hauled when I caught it.

Cheers, any expansion on this? :lol::p

Blackwatch, that is what I thought. What a bargain! Thanks again! :grin:

Can't wait!

Zamracene749

Apparently uses a banker from Aachen on the way back- I cannot confirm this as I was happily in the land of nod by this point!

If you don't already know, in the Hamburg area class218s (sometimes double headed) from Hamburg to Lubeck are worth a run out and class110s with non a/c stock from Bremen to Oldenberg also. Not sure what works to Westerland and Cuxhaven now but worth a look. Harburg-Luneberg locals are also loco hauled (class143/112?) non a/c push pull stock.

Midweek best deals for travelling are the lander tickets, up to 5 adults( accompanied kids go free in Germany) for around 28 euro within each state, not valid on IR/IC/ICE but also valid on local tram and bus networks in the major cities, as well many private trains eg Metronom.

Only other advice is Hamburg is a lovely city, have a look around and DO try a kebab over there- they put ours to shame!

Established Member
Hamburg to Cuxhaven just gone over to Metronom class 246, at least they are still hauled.

On the line to Westerland, the local trains are opearted by NOB, though the Hamburg to Westerland RE trains are still hauled - they were using a mixture of Dispolok ER20s and DE2700s last summer, but might have had their own locos delivered by now. These should be a more powerful version of the ER20 type.
IC trains to Westerland should be a pair of 218s from Hamburg Hbf or Itzehoe, though a single loco has had to suffice on some trains recently.

Beware the line to Lübeck, it is being electrified and the engineering works do tend to cause disruption, in particular you might find that the RB service to Ahrensburg is severely curtailed or cancelled altogether during the day between the peak hours.

218 diagrams are available on THIS excellent site. You need to go to "Mitglieder" (members) and sign up for an account to access them.

Zamracene749

Hamburg to Cuxhaven just gone over to Metronom class 246, at least they are still hauled.

On the line to Westerland, the local trains are opearted by NOB, though the Hamburg to Westerland RE trains are still hauled - they were using a mixture of Dispolok ER20s and DE2700s last summer, but might have had their own locos delivered by now. These should be a more powerful version of the ER20 type.
IC trains to Westerland should be a pair of 218s from Hamburg Hbf or Itzehoe, though a single loco has had to suffice on some trains recently.

Beware the line to Lübeck, it is being electrified and the engineering works do tend to cause disruption, in particular you might find that the RB service to Ahrensburg is severely curtailed or cancelled altogether during the day between the peak hours.

218 diagrams are available on THIS excellent site. You need to go to "Mitglieder" (members) and sign up for an account to access them.

Interesting. Any idea if the Braunschweig 218 diagrams and the peak hour 110s are still running out of Hannover?

Established Member
Braunschweig 218 diagrams are not on the 218 website yet, no doubt will appear in due course if they are still running - I am not aware of the 218s in this area being replaced just yet.

Regarding the 110s, I would be surprised if there were many left working in the Hannover area as Braunschweig now has some new 146s. Drehscheibe website might be the best bet for any 110 diagrams, if they appear. Look under "Redaktionsnews", the München 110 turns are already there in a pdf file.

Zamracene749

Braunschweig 218 diagrams are not on the 218 website yet, no doubt will appear in due course if they are still running - I am not aware of the 218s in this area being replaced just yet.

Regarding the 110s, I would be surprised if there were many left working in the Hannover area as Braunschweig now has some new 146s. Drehscheibe website might be the best bet for any 110 diagrams, if they appear. Look under "Redaktionsnews", the München 110 turns are already there in a pdf file.

Cheers, should be there again early in the new year to see the kids, will report back any sightings.

chunx2005

Apparently uses a banker from Aachen on the way back- I cannot confirm this as I was happily in the land of nod by this point!

If you don't already know, in the Hamburg area class218s (sometimes double headed) from Hamburg to Lubeck are worth a run out and class110s with non a/c stock from Bremen to Oldenberg also. Not sure what works to Westerland and Cuxhaven now but worth a look. Harburg-Luneberg locals are also loco hauled (class143/112?) non a/c push pull stock.

Midweek best deals for travelling are the lander tickets, up to 5 adults( accompanied kids go free in Germany) for around 28 euro within each state, not valid on IR/IC/ICE but also valid on local tram and bus networks in the major cities, as well many private trains eg Metronom.

Only other advice is Hamburg is a lovely city, have a look around and DO try a kebab over there- they put ours to shame!

Cheers, will make the a good day of it in Hamburg! :)
Not really got chance to see any of the lines as I will be leaving early morning on the saturday to get to Bochum. Will use teh 35 Euro for 5 People ticket and see where it takes us. Hopefully get to Bochum around 12ish!

Not really into foreign traction though so don't have a clue what your on about with the classes <D

When you say 'uses a banker', does that mean it uses an extra loco?

Are there any other stops on the way TO hamburg as well.

KingBBoogaloo

As long as the route didnt change with the time table change then:

Liege-Aachen (Loco change & reverse)-Monchengladbach-Dusseldorf-yourguessisasgoodasmine Hbf-Dortmund (where you loose the Berlin portion, and gain a portion from Zurich)-Munster-Osnabruck-Bremen-Hamburg.

And yes, on the way back it is banked out of Liege, which means a loco (not coupled to the train)gives you a shove up the hill out of the station. Once at the top it drops of.

chunx2005

As long as the route didnt change with the time table change then:

Liege-Aachen (Loco change & reverse)-Monchengladbach-Dusseldorf-yourguessisasgoodasmine Hbf-Dortmund (where you loose the Berlin portion, and gain a portion from Zurich)-Munster-Osnabruck-Bremen-Hamburg.

And yes, on the way back it is banked out of Liege, which means a loco (not coupled to the train)gives you a shove up the hill out of the station. Once at the top it drops of.
Cool Cheers,
Looking forward to it very much, will take some pictures and drop a link in here.

chunx2005

Also going to be travelling between Bochum - Rotterdam (Holland) and Rotterdam - Brussels (Belguim!) now!

What routes will I be going on - I have not organised it myself you see! :-P

chunx2005

Just Got back. Will post my blog here later this weekend, although theres no train pictures!

Great trip, did all of it by train:

Leicester - London St.P International (HST)
London St.P International - Brussels (Eurostar)
Brussels - Hamburg (via Lueven (Stella Artios Factory next to Line), Liege, Aachen, Duisberg, Dortmund, Bremen)
----------------------------
Hamburg - Rotenburg
Rotenburg - Verden (Single Line Branch)
Verden - Minden West
Minden West - Bochum
----------------------------
Bochum - Aachen ( We got to Mulhiem & I realised I left a bag so had to go back and do the rest of the trip on me tod!)
Aachen - Liege (Back to Belgium - Little Crap train accross the border via Welkenraedt, very picturesque!)
Liege - Brussels (Very Modern train, not Thayls, Very Nice though )
-------------------------------
Brussels - Gent
Gent - Waregam
(And Return)
Brussels - London St.P International (Eurostar)
Stayed in Barnet for 2 Nights so had to Travel on Tube & Local Trains
London Paddington - Exeter St.Davids (HST via Newbury)
Exeter St.Davids - Birmingham New Street (Voyager)
Birmingham New Street - Leicester (C170)

Status
Not open for further replies.