• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BTP - A call for volunteers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
I know someone who was interested and emailed them last year - they never got a response so assumed lack of interest and moved on. :(

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The 'Safety Reps' scheme appears to be a national initiative whereas the 'Choice Support' is confined to the London area. I've emailed them today, and we'll see if I am ignored (many have tried). :D

bAzTNM

Original post was harsh by me, but I was angry about an incident were a Scotrail inspector didn't "step in" when my mother was being harassed.

Last edited:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Trains would be a lot safer for vulnerable people if the guards actually grew a set, and didn't run away when trouble happens.

I'm looking at you Scotrail.

Guard's aren't paid anywhere near enough to get into fights with unruly yoofs.

DXMachina

volunteering
present participle of volunteer (Verb)

Definition: Doing for free a job that someone used to be paid for, and thus increasing unemployment.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
volunteering
present participle of volunteer (Verb)

Definition: Doing for free a job that someone used to be paid for, and thus increasing unemployment.

Total years in primary school by my immediate family = 35
Total railway safety visits by BTP during those years = 0

No cups of tea from the WRVS for you now :)

DXMachina

I don't claim that there were previously enough BTP - just that safety on the railways ought to be a career for those currently seeking work, not a hobby for those who can afford to spare their time

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I don't claim that there were previously enough BTP - just that safety on the railways ought to be a career for those currently seeking work, not a hobby for those who can afford to spare their time
Since it isn't yet a career, as you admit, then why your first post claiming they were taking jobs away from employed people?

There are loads of volunteers in all walks of life that 'could' be paid, but the fact is there isn't enough money to do so and people recognise that the service they provide is more important than not having it at all.

DXMachina

Reading the news will provide incidents of professionals losing their jobs due to volunteers performing good-enough services

Police and Library staff are two cases coming immmediately to mind

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Reading the news will provide incidents of professionals losing their jobs due to volunteers performing good-enough services

Police and Library staff are two cases coming immmediately to mind

How is that relevant to volunteers teaching railway safety and helping vulnerable travellers over an extended period? Who's job are they taking?

Stewart

Trains would be a lot safer for vulnerable people if the guards actually grew a set, and didn't run away when trouble happens.

I'm looking at you Scotrail.

Totally agree, but most guards I see don't appear able to fight their way out of a wet paper bag - can't some physical training be given?

GB

Established Member
Lets see, guard gets involved in altercation and gets beat up or stabbed....not good. Guard gets involved in altercation and gets sued or loses job (or both)...not good.

We have a paid Police force with proper equipment and training to deal with these sorts of things.

Darandio

Established Member
Totally agree, but most guards I see don't appear able to fight their way out of a wet paper bag - can't some physical training be given?

And not all are paid enormously well, often less than those they are supposedly trying to protect here. Many have young families as well. It's also not part of the job.

But reading your post, they should get physical training so when the going gets tough, they should effectively pick a fight?

Think about it, and then think about what is more important.

Darandio

Established Member
Being able to stand their ground when things get a bit difficult? It's what a lot of people do in similar lines of work :?::?:

Which other lines of work? Ones where it is their job to do so?

The spouse of a guard should not really have to wave their loved one goodbye on a morning, knowing that they may not come back because they have received training which expects them to be put in danger.

wintonian

Established Member
Sorry to stick my nose in but hasn't this all been gone through enough in the past?

In any case we were talking about volunteering and the BTP, and I for one would be interested to know what sort of things volunteers do with the BTP and how many people do them?

GB

Established Member
Volunteers for the BTP can range from community projects like the one in the OP right up to Special Constable.

Stewart

Which other lines of work? Ones where it is their job to do so?

The spouse of a guard should not really have to wave their loved one goodbye on a morning, knowing that they may not come back because they have received training which expects them to be put in danger.

They will have received training which helps remove them from danger.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They will have received training which helps remove them from danger.

Erm just because you've had training doesn't mean you can then remove yourself from danger by actually properly getting involved in a physical dispute...

If that was the case then police and armed forces personnel would never get wounded or worse.

GB

Established Member
Having "training" doesn't remove the danger...it allows the individual to perhaps better cope with it, but the danger is still there. You still haven't said why staff should have to go through it.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
In any case we were talking about volunteering and the BTP, and I for one would be interested to know what sort of things volunteers do with the BTP and how many people do them?

In this case: http://www.btp.police.uk/about_us/latest_news/a_call_for_volunteers.aspx]

A call for volunteers

We're looking for volunteers. Can you help?
Are you interested in working with the British Transport Police to help make our railways safer for vulnerable people? If so, we are currently recruiting volunteers to help us with two new schemes.

If you think you could provide travel training to vulnerable adults in London or want to help us deliver rail safety messages to schools across the UK we would very much like to hear from you.

Independent travel training

Many vulnerable adults with disabilities lack confidence in tackling the risks and difficulties they face when travelling. This can leave them isolated.

We are looking for volunteers to work on a one-to-one basis with individuals helping them to develop a 'personal travel plan to independence'. You will meet with the person for 2 hours a week over a minimum of 3 months helping them to find ways to access their community safely and with confidence.

This project, which we are developing in partnership with Choice Support, a leading national charity, will be piloted in the Greenwich area starting in June 2012. We are then planning to expand it into other London boroughs.

Network Rail 'Rail Safety Reps' scheme

The second project you could help us with is a partnership with Network Rail delivering their new Rail Safety Reps scheme.

This scheme is designed to spread key, high impact, messages about rail safety to primary schools across the UK. We have developed a CD Rom containing a tool kit that enables the schools to deliver an educational programme where a small number of pupils are chosen to act as rail safety reps. Their job is to help other pupils learn how to stay safe on the railway via a range of different activities.

We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers, in a number of areas across the UK, who can help us approach schools that would benefit from using the tool kit and provide support and assistance as they make use of it.

No idea if this has been done before and if so how many are involved.

exile

Established Member
Guard's aren't paid anywhere near enough to get into fights with unruly yoofs.

Neither are volunteer police officers - by definition they're not getting anything. However, admittedly, they presumably know what they're signing up for and presumably go around in pairs!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Neither are volunteer police officers - by definition they're not getting anything. However, admittedly, they presumably know what they're signing up for and presumably go around in pairs!

And get far more training, support and equipment and generally go round with regular officers as well.

Stewart

So those who get involved in preventing danger to the public should not be paid, while the guards who are paid run into the toilets?

Status
Not open for further replies.