BTP warn public about scams including ticket barrier scam

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by jcollins, 2 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

British Transport Police

'The Stall' scam could have occurred without automated ticket barriers but automated ticket barriers have certainly made it easier to be carried out.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 142094

142094 Established Member

Do many people keep their wallet in their back pocket these days? Always keep mine in a side pocket.

4. Urban Gateline

Urban Gateline Established Member

Also the fact that most people keep their Oyster card inside their wallet/purse so they put that on the reader, which leaves nothing in their back pocket to be stolen! :lol:

5. michael769

michael769 Established Member

It always surprises me how many I see poking out if pockets and bags. Just last night a girl sat next to me (and the aisle) with her purse lying on the edge of table where someone could have lifted it as they passed to get off the train.

Just as well I am an honest person!

6. 142094

If people are stupid enough to leave them on show, then pickpockets will be quick to take advantage.

Must be 000s of posters warning of pickpockets and most coats these days have a security pocket.

7. SS4

SS4 Established Member

Partially laziness has to do with it. It can be an awful lot of trouble to get your wallet out of such a secure pocket for whatever reason when the chances of anything happening are still remote.

I personally keep my oyster card separate from my wallet and have even been known to leave my wallet at home to reduce weight and take the essentials

8. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

I think the highest risk is in the Summer not the Winter. In Winter people tend to wear jackets and coats with zipped, buttoned or inside pockets which is harder for something to be taken out of. In Summer when it's too hot to wear a jacket/coat men have a lot of things to fit in not many pockets when they have their wallet, mobile, keys etc.

I don't usually use back pockets for anything either.

9. michael769

The other thing that comes into play in summer is tourists which I understand are often viewed as easy targets by criminals.

10. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

It's common sense to do that anyway whether it's an oyster card or a rail ticket. Even without pickpockets the chance of losing your wallet is not 0% so keeping them separate allows you to get back home without any problems if you lose your wallet.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Especially the tourists who leave expensive cameras exposed even when they aren't using them.

11. chris89

chris89 Established Member

A lot of people seem to of my age to look 'trendy' im guessing. The amount that could be easily gotten is stupid.

Myself tickets kept in the wallet like most, also in said pocket i usally have my mp3 player or keys to add more weight to that pocket and frequent check etc, for bags i mostly keep to my front. Which my shoulder bag the opening flap kept inwards.

Chris

12. amcluesent

amcluesent Member

The 'chip' from an Oyster card could easily be implanted under the skin of the hand to make it easy to pass through barrier.

13. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

I do quite often keep my wallet in my back pocket, though generally it's in my man bag. Ticket wallet lives in my (other) back pocket, to the extent that I have a micropanic whenever I can't feel it there.

Not been pickpocketed, but I did lose it once after a late night train journey - it must have fallen out when I was sitting and I didn't notice it or check for it due to being sleepy. More careful now!

It can be done, but it's rather larger than just a chip - the antenna takes up a sizeable proportion of the card's size. Also it's against the T&Cs so you'd get in trouble sooner or later.

14. michael769

It turns out that the human body is a very effective antenna! Just try trying an FM radio so it is just out of tune and then touch the aerial and you will see what I mean.

Not that I'd fancy such an implant convenience or not. Just imagine how useful it would be if Britain was ever invaded by a foreign power!

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Nov 2011
  15. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ooh, ah, no, thank you. Not for me, and I would imagine the same answer from most people. [​IMG]

16. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk Established Member

"Excuse me sir, I'm afraid you're using that card fraudulently. I will have to confiscate it. Just hold still whilst Keith goes and fetches a saw."

17. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Yes it's sounds more like something a court would propose for fare evaders then the conductor walks up and down the train with a metal detector like device that peeps when he/she walks past a previous fare evader.

18. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

There is a video on YouTube with someone dressed as Harry Potter with the Oyster chip at the tip of a "magic wand" using the wand to board a bus. Shall have to find the video later.

19. OxtedL

OxtedL Established Member Quizmaster

I do love it when they give the general public instructions on how to pickpocket... :o

20. district

district Member

Young Harry will get caught soon and get sent to Azkaban...

... I'll get my coat.

21. SS4

SS4 Established Member

Accio Coat!

It would be quite interesting to see although not as interesting to see him try and get to platform 9¾ at KGX

Back on topic I'm not surprised that such tricks are tried, especially at barriers but I wonder how much is due to lack of vigilance that could be sorted by asking passengers/customers* to be vigilant with their belongings.

* Delete as appopriate

22. Badger

Badger Member

I have deep pockets and also a (conveniently) broken zip on my wallet, so always carry a coin purse which sits on top of my wallet. At least then if I'm pickpocketed/mugged I only lose... £3.50 in coppers.

23. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Yeah they should leave that to BBC3.

24. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

This isn't the video that I remember, but it still shows what I was describing, not really a "wand" though.

Here it is.

25. rmt-driver

rmt-driver Member

I haven't seen anything so stupid in a long long time...

26. Bungle73

Bungle73 On Moderation

The last place I'd keep my wallet is in my back pocket. That's just asking for it to get nicked.

You can go to Platform 9 3/4 at KGX.

Why do they have to be told? Surely it should be obvious.

27. 142094

Some people think if you repeat the same instruction over and over again people take note and change their behaviour. However, people normally stop hearing that announcement after x amount of times and forget, letting their guard down.

For a lot of things, direct enforcement is expensive and announcements/signs are a cheap way of looking like you are doing something about it. For example escalators - signs say you shouldn't take certain things on them but it would be unrealistic to have a member of staff checking everyone going on one - however if you put a sign up them technically you've done something about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.