• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BT's On The Road Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not too keen from what I saw of the refurbished coach but I can't pass judgment until I do a journey in one really.
Cornwall is pretty slow in places, it seems to take an age from Plymouth to Penzance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Sounding like good fun so far Dan. Having lost my wallet a few years back whilst doing a North East Round Robin I can feel your pain in that. You seem to be managing and ploughing on regardless.

Great read as usual, the mega bus tickets are cheap as chips but the journey time is relentless. Hat off to you for enduring them journeys. Happy hunting guys. Enjoy. Like techs trip reports, looking forward to your take on the ALR too.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Appologies for lack of updates for a while, have been having so much fun it has to be said with so many highlights. Admit to crashing and burning last night though and delaying things getting started today but now about ready to rock and roll with renewed energy again!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I would like to appologise publically for being a crap friend and bad host today. In a desperate bid to get away from a damp cold foodless NCL I insisted we get on a vommiter which I was sure carried catering. It didnt, and what we both really wanted at that moment was a cuppa. I do feel genuinely guilty and should be flogged. Alternately would the forum be good enough to find a suitable punishment?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
No more 142s, 37s or anything rateable for the rest of the year ;)

I believe what BT is basically saying is don't make me do moves like that when I'm armed with a very empty stomach! Warnings went up, and once all the boxes on my list became ticked that was it. Forcing me onto a Voyager, admittedly expecting a trolley service, was really not bright. Especially after just endured one for 31 minutes to jump straight onto another for another hour and 24 minutes!!!

Anyway, now I've explained that, and I'm sorry but a summaried version will end up in my own trip report for reasons of fullness, I will brighten things on this thread up by saying it's one of these things (lack of a trolley) that happens but we did break a golden rule of rural shack scoring, and that was failing to take supplies with us. Had we changed at Newcastle as planned, we'd have probably been better off but hey ho!

Things will be better after a good kip, which is what I'm about to go and do!

Kristofferson

Enjoy tomorrow guys - have your lungs recovered from window hanging in the Severn tunnel??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butts

Veteran Member
I would like to appologise publically for being a crap friend and bad host today. In a desperate bid to get away from a damp cold foodless NCL I insisted we get on a vommiter which I was sure carried catering. It didnt, and what we both really wanted at that moment was a cuppa. I do feel genuinely guilty and should be flogged. Alternately would the forum be good enough to find a suitable punishment?

An ALR spent entirely on Pacers for a whole week would be suitable pennance :p

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Appologies on delay posting my thoughts and observations on a week of pure bashing hevan but I was streight back to work for 2 long days and Sunday just vanished in tiredness and today has been playing catchup with a lot of things, including trying to put right a stupid mistake made whilst making another (Voyager bashing) last week.

I will however take this opportunity to thank those who showed us friendship and hospitality along the way. Firstly Kite159 who kept us entertained and me company on Sunday whilst Tech scored awquard shacks and I covered the rest of the routes. The onnerable gentleman also looked after us excillently when we decided not to attempt the entire Excitar London SWT trip in a 1er and piled off at Sallsbury, an unlikely destination for a halft time BOJ but when you have free left luggage facilities in the shape of his car, 3 pubs and a quality choice of places serving well priced freshly cooked food within 5 mins of the station you take full advantage! I make no appology for sitting on the London service an hour later munching a chinese, it was hellfire and probably for me the best meal all week.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Sunday also saw us meet up with Cowly, the whisky and chat went down beutifully so thanks for that, catch you soon.

On Monday we went Micro Grycing on the 16:36 DBY STP, joining at Parkway and as well as the fiddly bits and bobs of track this service uses we found out what EMT do to naughty drivers and guards, book them on this turn for a week :lol: Robbeech was wating for us in London and whilst it was expensive that round of drinks was so worth it to enjoy a summer evening in the best city in the world with friends.

Starck contrast to that was a cold wet Tuesday in Newcastle where despite short notice and **** weather 47403's Jordy hospitality was as warm and friendly as Id expect in the Toon, oh and Red Lable whisky.......its been to long! Cheers Gents

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I make no apologies for wolfing down my lunch and tea on that 159 either, that was gorgeous! I also had a mega hellfire pizza in Sale, Greater Manchester, which rivalled Salisbury's pizza although which one was better is impossible to tell!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Oh definatly Sallsbury, it isnt Manchester for a start. Im well aware some like it but in my experience its the gloomyest, most unfriendly city in the generally welcoming and friendly North.
Anyone is welcome to try changing my mind but you have a challenge there.

Established Member
Sunday also saw us meet up with Cowly, the whisky and chat went down beutifully so thanks for that, catch you soon.

On Monday we went Micro Grycing on the 16:36 DBY STP, joining at Parkway and as well as the fiddly bits and bobs of track this service uses we found out what EMT do to naughty drivers and guards, book them on this turn for a week :lol: Robbeech was wating for us in London and whilst it was expensive that round of drinks was so worth it to enjoy a summer evening in the best city in the world with friends.

Starck contrast to that was a cold wet Tuesday in Newcastle where despite short notice and **** weather 47403's Jordy hospitality was as warm and friendly as Id expect in the Toon, oh and Red Lable whisky.......its been to long! Cheers Gents

Nice to hear you and tech got to meet and put faces to names from the forum clan. It was a pleasure to finally meet you Dan and catch up with tech again. Hopefully one day we'll do it again. Thank you for the kind words, Geordie and Hospitality, are well known words, you may struggle to understand our dialect at times but we're all a friendly bunch. It was good to have a couple of pints and a bit railway chat after work, in fact, them couple of pints of doom bar, were probably enjoyed as much as your red label. Shame about the weather, however, you dont cross the equator to get to Newcastle, 2 days previous it was 27oC and boiling, just a shame it was absolutely persisting it down, when you's decided to come to the Geordie Capital.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm having my weekly trip report catch up today.
It was most pleasant to meet you guys the other week, if you're ever down again BT I'll buy you a triple next time.
I must admit there was a part of me that wanted to come along for the all line too...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well a little rail based excitement this last week, namely in the form of some new track. I had gone to London last Thursday to take a mate and her daughter out for a day at the science museum, a great success BTW and ended up staying near Stonebridge park station with a free Friday til around 3pm. After MUCH fiddling with tickets I found a Stonebridge Park St Albans City Off Peek Return route any permitted was valid for a circular type journey with an addition West Hamsted TL to STP paper single. With this info I set out to do the Abby Flyer, and a trip on the connecting bus link of the same name. Picked up a few delays here and there which had the danger music playing when I was still at City at quarter to 3 and a pre booked SET High Speed AP an hour later but having sacrificed coffee breaks at both St Albans and St Pancakes I clawed it back.

I wish the well run trial buslink in St Albans well and hope useage keeps it going.

Picked up a 68 hauled train and some London Midland delays on the way back yesturday oh and thanks to tech for a nice evening last thursday, a drink and a chat plus a couple of trainrides was fun.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well this thread has been quiet for a while, as to be honest has my rail based activities which have been pritty dull/nout special. I obviously didnt do a good job of writing about my St Albans jolly as nobodys commented on it!

However onwards and upwards, thread rezarected complete with new title!
People are often making musical refferences in their reports so in a burst of Google Play Music sponsored inspiration I'm trumping the lot of you with a musical thread title, enspired by the excillent Davies on the road again by Manfred Man's Earth band, if you are unaquainted then get youtubing, its become a firm fave on the music player when out riding the roads and rails.

A couple of others have posted reports of the forum trip on this years Tyne Valley diverts, a trip I very much enjoyed and which came with unexpected Pacer action as I discovered Alexf380 was game for a ride out to Hueth and back after our 67 dragged 91 reached the toon. Creddit to Northerns guards on this route, both excillent as were the pacers. Compliments also to XC for not only being cheeper but also for providing an old but cumfy coach with nice driver and refreshments on the non stop (see it is doable VTEC) run back home which was early enough to avoid the financial horrors of night bus or taxi.

In a nodd to VTEC getting something right for once the First Class offerings on the run to Carlisle and Newcastle was for current standards good. Noted that many seat recliners were bust though. Cheers to Yorky for his orgonisational skills and all members for company and fun, nice to meet a couple of new people.

Various other bits and bobs coming up soon so stay tuned. Cheers.

Dhassell

Sorry about that BT, clearly some of us missed your last post in here! I do notice quite a few people do read the posts without leaving comments mind!

Sounds like you had a good time on both your circular ticket and Tyne Valley Diverts!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't know how I missed that last post but I did somehow. Sorry about that.
Those drags looked like good fun, nice to get a bit of diesel action over that way.
Excellent song by the way, great to hear it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.