• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BT's On The Road Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I guess everyone has an opinion? Id also wager that not many members would be
happy
with a load of elderly Pacers and a few grotty 158s.

Moving on from the old DMU thing, I did say upthread that I was planning to go out for the first Tram on the 31st - this sadly didnt happen owing to my fellow tram basher having to work :( and as things currently stand Iv still not yet done one yet but may be able to put things streight on this topic tomorrow.↲
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
10th June

There have been lots of small snippet type experiences of the New Edinburgh Trams but this I believe is the First full trip report. Given that I did a lot of moaning about 170s in the last entry and that by and large I dont feel Iv had value for money out of these trams I'll keep it brief.

A combination of a free (wet) Afternoon and my close prnximitty to a Tram Stop made me decide that a trip was needed. I took the Mrs too.

Having been spun a decade long yarn about just how accessible the entire system was going to be, we were both more than a little disconcerted to find the smartcard reader provided for validating your consession or other cards is not just a case of Hold It Right There, but actually brings up an interactive touchscreen menue. An immediate barrier to travel to anyone not able to use this as the staff, most of who seam grumpy, enforce the rules about smartcard validation punctiliously and are more than happy to smack you with the £10 onboard standard fare if you even partly break them!

Having overcome this barrier we headed to the shelter to awate the next Westbound Tram. Whilst wating a Public Address Announcement was made about the need for ticket purchase and card validation. The announcements have been a sauce of several complaints in terms of there volume which in a residential area I can understand but if, as they are proposing, the system is turned down at
All
stops, they will be inaudable at many due to other background noise.

With a ding and a swish (Im sorry but that bell recording sounds so cheep) our service arives and is already quite busy although I note that the majoritty are tourists using the Ingleston Park and Ride who have been forced onto the tram by the councils desire to provide more choice which has seen the No 12 Bus removed from the Park and ride and also from Ratho Village. I dont see how making passengers from an already poorly connected area not only change part route onto the tram but pay again to do it is providing choice? Are well I guess they needed a business case for the shortened route.

The trams themselves are unsurprisingly well built and nice enough inside but thats to be expected given who built them. A comment has however been made that windscrean wipers are perhaps not all that good? Impressed with the high back E-Leather seats and lots of grab polls, less so by the high windows and the flooring which seamed slippy when wet. Lots of glass pannels which if they were on a ADL Inviro would be rattling and shattering everywhere but as the major plus with the tram for me is that its super smooth theres not an issue. Air movement onboard also seams to be an issue.

Off round the corner to Princes Street although the PIS Announcements are so stupidly quiet that youd not have known that. I did raise this with the Ticketing Services bloke who put the defences up and said they were aware of it. Just aware? My understanding is its only a few clicks on a laptop to sort this and, given that Im told as recently as this morning that it hasnt been they are iether:
A, having more trubble fixing it than Id have though possible, B, too incapable of fixing it :a sad state of afares if so given the fleat slack, usage and the fac they all end up in the same place every night) or C, they arnt aware of it at all!

More tourists and worryingly few locals on and off towards the West End and its infamously unreliable signals which insidentally failed again later the same day. Another stop at Haymarket before heading West towards Murryfield and no doubt another vital section in the councils business case when theres events there.

Running faster now although unimpressed with acceleration as we head towards Ballgreen, Saughton andBankhead. Good to see fast running on the old guided busway, better now than it ever was for buses! None of these stops were well used.. On then to Edinburgh Park Station, Edinburgh Park Central, Gyle Centre, Gogarburn near the RBS HQ, Ingleston P and R and the Airport. A stop is also announced at the tram depot but anyone hoping to hop off and Red Pen its occupants will be disappointed as the (still inaudible) PIS Whispers that its for Staff Only!

Arival at the airport sees us almost empty proving that the majoritty of City>Airport Custom is still using the Bus and why not given how much nearer it stops and traffic permitting how much faster it feels. The next tram did offload a few suited smart things with laptops however from there overheard conversations they, like us were doing it for the novalty and would return to the No 35 Bus which again stops far nearer the terminal and has cumfortably served the Edinburgh Park>Gyle>RBS>Park and Ride>Airport custom for years and still does!

All aboard for another all stops trundle back to town, picking up a few soggy punters on the way. The shelters at the stops were a cause for concern for many in terms of protection and it seams like that concern was justified. Having used them myself Im more worried about how the materials used will stand up to the weather and the vandles. Same goes for the ticket machines which again appear unreliable, given the number of tenners being paid by people who had tried to buy but been prevented by the technology.

35 minutes later and we are heading off into the heavy rain on our way home from York Place. Now, the council have been trying to convince the doubters that they'll love it when its up and running and I went on this trip with an open mind. Having done it, I am if possible even more frustrated with this white elifant than I was before. Theres just too much wrong with it and it was never needed anyway meaning that for me and doubtless thousands of other Edinburgh Council Tax and Business Rate Payers its a very expensive retrograde step, given what it will do and has already done to the UKs best Bus Service outside London and to traffic in general.

I do always like to end on a positive so will say that the revamped Haymarket Station, with its intigration between Rail, Tram, Bus and Taxi is a major and long overdue investment, completed on time and budget (Cough Cough) and which I doubt would have happened when it did without this project. Likewise the upgrading of all entrances to Waverley, not just the steps, plus the additional pare of Escalaters by the Taxi Rank was brought on by a desire of all agencies for transport to be both intigrated and accessible although again it would have happened eventually.

In future, the Edinburgh Gateway Station will provide useful links to those from Fife wanting buses to the West/Southwest side of town without doubling back and then also the tram May and I still say May be of some help to those wanting the Gyle, Edinburgh Park, The Showground or the Airport. In the case of the former, whats wrong with walking? And for the latter, the 747 bus carries a lot of Fife>Airport custom and unless Stagecoach cut it or the Inverness/Aberdeen>Edinburgh trains start calling at Gateway then it will carry on doing so. Anyhow I look forward to yers comments and Im sure many will be up to try it out themselves before too long!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Currently enjoying a most unexpected and most welcome bit of Alexander PS Boddied B10m action on Stagecoach's X97 Gils Bay Peer>Dunbeath (with onward connection to Inverness). Usual Jonk shed turned up to meet the Orkney ferry but was swapped at Wick due to it being needed elsewhere and the thrash and sheer speed of this venerable machine careering through the far north of Scotland is fantastic! A bit like the MK3 Coach is the pinical of Brittish Railway design, the Volvo B10m with Alexander PS Boddywork is the bus equivilant. A truly amazing run on a sunny day and, sadly with the large number of mid life darts currently being withdrawn and cascaded to areas like Highland an experience that will not be possible much longer I feer.

Eddit:
Just noticed that didnt post earlier due to poor data in the highlands, that was all happening just after 14:00

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Don't know how I missed your tram trip report, disappointing to hear bad things of the tram from a crank, hoping to have better experiences myself!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A mate of mine whos only interest other than Aviation is metro and such systems came from London to do the tram and even he couldnt work up much froth about it, especially the lack of aircon and mainly slow and pointless route. He has been on almost identicle Caf trams of similar age in other parts of the world and informs me that other than the high back E-Leather seats, ours are the cheepest speck possible!↲

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh dear, that doesn't sound good! I'll be up there later this year (in theory!) to find out for myself, so expect it to appear in a trip report in the autumn!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well I really hope you enjoy it and it doesnt disapoint. Fancy a pint when your up? Can also recommend a few good places to stay. I should maybe also add, in the interests of Fareness that I am not Anti Tram per say - a trip to London for me barely goes by without a bit of Tramlink action, I have used the equally controvertial Supertram in Sheffield as a positioning move to and from lengthy Megabus trips and when in blackpool Im iether traveling by taxi (v cheep in that particular resort BTW) Bashing Olimpians or riding the trams both new and old and Looking forward to when the extention to North Station opens. I just dont see the point of this one! *Sits back and wates to be abducted by fellow forum member DK1*

Kite159

Veteran Member
A mate of mine whos only interest other than Aviation is metro and such systems came from London to do the tram and even he couldnt work up much froth about it, especially the lack of aircon and mainly slow and pointless route. He has been on almost identicle Caf trams of similar age in other parts of the world and informs me that other than the high back E-Leather seats, ours are the cheepest speck possible!↲

Cheapest spec, but probably costed more per vehicle than similar Caf trams.

Next time I'm in Edinburgh (depends if I can score a bargain berth on the sleeper) I'm going to try and do the trams, just the bit til the P&R site. The airport extension probably not.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Booked myself on an advance to Edinburgh in September for the trams. Looking forward to it :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh god yeah, I'd forgotten about doing the loco-hauled workings on t'Fife. Another reason to pop on up, I'll hopefully be flying up if things work out right. Shall see, no good trying to properly plan it all until after the epic Kent trip :D

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Oh god yeah, I'd forgotten about doing the loco-hauled workings on t'Fife. Another reason to pop on up, I'll hopefully be flying up if things work out right. Shall see, no good trying to properly plan it all until after the epic Kent trip :D

Yes I noted your thread Re kent, lot of things there I need myself TBH, LIKE YOU NEEDS A SERIUS DEDICATED GO AT IT.

From where you are, theres absolutely no time advantage in flying up these days, the WCML Is a serius rival to the plane these days esp with pendos now working Birmingham-Scotland. The loco-hauled turn is a truly fantastic way of spending an evening and am often to be found doing just that!↲

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes I noted your thread Re kent, lot of things there I need myself TBH, LIKE YOU NEEDS A SERIUS DEDICATED GO AT IT.

From where you are, theres absolutely no time advantage in flying up these days, the WCML Is a serius rival to the plane these days esp with pendos now working Birmingham-Scotland. The loco-hauled turn is a truly fantastic way of spending an evening and am often to be found doing just that!↲

Not from Birmingham.....45 Minutes versus 4 Hours !!!:p

Pound for Pound the plane is normally better Value in my opinion !!! - Also it is possible to do a Daytrip first up last out and have a decent amount of time in Edinburgh or Glasgow and even more so Aberdeen !!

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Last time I went through Birmingham airport the securitty was so sluggish that everything was delayed badly. Think it makes sense if your near the airport but in Techniquest's case he could, subject to availabilitty go Hereford>Crewe>Scotland in not all that much greater time as Hereford>Birmingham>Airport>checkin, wate and board>fly>airport would take.↲
Now then foalks, I could do with your help here!

The wife has
never
done a sleaper and is desperate to try not just the Caly but also the Night Riviera, both in one trip! Now, if I hadnt been sitting down when she broke this news to me I'd have fallen down as I thought it was just me that did mad stupid things like this!

Having got myself together again after that bombshell I put the old thinking cap on as to how I could plan a bash taking in both Scottish and Cornish sleapers, didnt involve covering too much of the same track both ways although I know this is inevitable to a certain extent and perhaps most importantly covers some new and interesting bits and pieces for us both but me in particular.

After a bit of thought as to what wed both enjoy I came up with:
Coach to iether Fortwiliam (direct if during Citylink Summer TT) OR inverness (Winter TT), Caly to Crewe (with Berths) then Crewe>Shrewsbury (for HOWL) INVOLVING A LENGTHY WATE AT sHR for a train at round 09:00. The idea then is to get to Penzance, involving it would seam a journey first to iether Cheltenham or Bristol then West from there. Now what Im unsure about, being as I am unfamiliar with timetables, routes and service paterns in that area is Swansea the best place to change for the first HST Run or is there another way of doing it that still gives us plenty of slack at the zance and doesnt involve an extended run on an all shacks 150 or similar?

Im including the HOWL as it provides an interesting and as yet uncovered, if a tad lengthy diversion from what could easily be a streight forward out and back via London or Birmingham, involving a lot of HST or Voyager milage over the same track. From the Zance its the sleaper to PAD, Aday in London then iether the ECML, WCML or Easyjet (dependant on time and cost) home for a night in our own bed! Any help with this would be appreciated, particularly with the Welsh section and naturally tips for keeping the costs down!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It sounds like you've got a big trip there!

I like that you're doing the Heart of Wales, lovely line to do with multiple hours of a 150 or 153. For the whole trip it's going to cost a fortune mind!

Highlands>Crewe>Shrewsbury>Swansea>Bristol Parkway>Penzance is one heck of a long way, it must be said, and will take a good while. Pretty sure there's no way you could do all that in one day and still have a bit of time in t'Zance before continuing onwards on the sleeper. Plus it'll also be exhausting and it won't be a fun trip!

Traction wise, you'll have a 67 to Edinburgh and 90 forward on the sleeper to Crewe, followed by a 175 normally (although possibly a 158, depending on fleet availability) to Shrewsbury. 150 or 153 to Swansea via the Heart of Wales, height of summer you should get a 150 at least. HST from Swansea to Bristol Parkway, then depending on the time of day a Voyager to either Plymouth or Penzance. If to Plymouth it'll be an HST forward to Penzance.

I would however recommend a slight change, and that being to do the sleeper from Paddington. I know it's going to involve a lot of repeating track if you want to do the day in London as well but it'll be easier than trying to race down to Penzance from Swansea!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Interesting. TBH Id rather have a 153 on the HOWL, much more cumfy although I know you like your 150s! Don0require much time at PNZ, Hense doing it in that order and my bigest worry is if I follow my sensible head in terms of cost and split at Plymouth on way down I may get lumbered with a sprinter or worse a Voyager, not what I want.

I had looked at going PAD>PNZ as you suggest but as am not looking to do anything major down there it means more milage done during the day rather than overnight. Thanks for the thoughts though!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If it helps, the 0905 (or whatever it is now) Shrewsbury to Swansea was a single 153 on Monday, didn't see which one as I forgot we'd go thundering past it.

Fair point regarding Penzance, personally I've never done much there apart from going to the beach when I went there on a Spitfire tour a few years back, so couldn't recommend any reason to visit for much.

Hope you can get it organised for a most reasonable cost, it sounds like a right royal beast of a trip!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well didnt orgonise the whole of it, for a number of reasons, the main one being the limmited availabilitty of affordable Caly Sleaper when we wanted it! I will however get the HOWL and the WAG X ticked off this year, the fast running out subsidy period of the latter being the real motivation to get my but to Wales! Would have loved to have done it from HHD but not possible logistically this time but as its the premier service I want to sample before its cut, and unless the Irish See does some serius expanding the track will still be there for me to scratch off on one of the new Mancher Loco Hauled jobs and maybe as part of a wider Bash involving a Sailrail to Dublin and a trip on the enterprize!↲

Anyhow, Edinburgh>Shrewsbury and return advances plus a premier inn stay have been booked for a day track bashing in November.

Meantime, some ticketing advice would be good and may ask in the fares forum too but is the Off Peek Day Return, priced at £21 and some pennies between Carlisle and Lancaster valid on cumbrian coast as well as tia the WCML? Seams to be some difference of opinion between NRE and the ticket office at EDB. Thanks in advance↲

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well just a cupple weeks to go till my Welsh Adventure. Nothing interesting of late other than a very enjoyable evening of skip bashing when myself and Techniquest took 04 on the ever popular 17:08x Waverley during his Scottish trip earlier in the month. 2 and a bit hours goes by very fast when youve Kopperberg and a fellow enthusiast to pass the time with and we were enjoying it so much that we took a trip to spoons and had dinner and more drinkies which again was most enjoyable! Thanks Techniquest! ↲↲

now, the big question is will I get breaky on the WAGx?

Butts

Veteran Member
Well just a cupple weeks to go till my Welsh Adventure. Nothing interesting of late other than a very enjoyable evening of skip bashing when myself and Techniquest took 04 on the ever popular 17:08x Waverley during his Scottish trip earlier in the month. 2 and a bit hours goes by very fast when youve Kopperberg and a fellow enthusiast to pass the time with and we were enjoying it so much that we took a trip to spoons and had dinner and more drinkies which again was most enjoyable! Thanks Techniquest! ↲↲

The big question is will you encounter any sheep during your sojourn in Cymru. As a Scotsman the sheep should not do a runner the minute they sense your approach - as they do with Taffs :p

Techniquest

Veteran Member

No problem, I also enjoyed the evening and was amazed how fast the time went! What day is it you're down on your Welsh adventure? I can hopefully join you from Hereford to Newport before I have to go to work, unless it's a day I'm doing overtime on (which is almost every day at the moment). Let me know and I'll get the coffees in :)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
As it happened my Welsh Wanderings had to be scrapped at the last minute due to a bit of domestic troubble of a pet sitting veriety and although I lost a bit of money on the APs and hotel it actually was a blessing in disguise as the HOWL was Bustituted on the day we were planning doing it. Are well, thats back on the list of things to clear up I guess.↲
on a more positive note, plans are afoot for 1 final bash of the year so stay tuned!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah you refer to December 1st, I'm with you now :) Only a week to go, shall have to get up there as I need a UK bash again, plus it could be my last chance to crank on 67s with Chiltern!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Yes this could well be it for me too and much as its nice to see a new loco delivered and put into service on a system dominated by units the end of skips with Chilton and the possible end to them on the Caly Sleapers if Serco get there way and put the 73s on on instead will be a rench for many, myself included.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've got some number jiggling to do to make everything work, but I'm definitely still up for popping up to Birmingham for this! I still have my big 30th birthday bash in December but after that I don't have anything planned until January.

Scary to think how close that is now...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well here goes, last big bash of 2014. I've had so many plans change, cheques bounce, friends pull out and domestic arrangements fall to bits, not to mention an unexpected but very welcome house move this year that the bashing has been very restricted as this thread proves! Even this one nearly got cansled due to the person Id ment to be bashing with getting a new job which involved a month in NI (And of course he tells me this just as I've booked some of the amazingly cheep AP's and a non refundable hotelroom) but having lost a good few quid this way earlier in the month I wasnt going to do it again without a fight!

A normal (ish) Sunday at home with the acception of a couple hours work at lunchtime saw me packed and ready for off just after 18:00. My first train tonight is the 19:57 TPE From Edinburgh. This should have been a few hours earlier with a BOJ in Carlisle to meet my bashing partner in crime and have Sunday Rost in the Excillent Griffin Pub on Court Square near the station before taking the last VT Service South at 21:24. I might still get to visit this hostelry yet but for now its a case of getting to the station as due to a bit of uncertainty as to which route I was going to take I havnt booked a seat on this service and am keen to stake my claim for a bit of florspace should it be a 185 or a busy 350. If a 350 then a further potential hurdle could be that it has thrown a technical tantrum (again) and been failed. Given that they were ment to be pritty much plug and play when delivered the number of times this has happened is shameful and has caused a raft of very well documented problems which if I were a regular gambler I would put money on (along with the 380 farse) being why Abellio whent for a different EMU Design in there Scotrail Bid and was one of the many factors that made TS go for i t.In the event of this happening I wanted to be able to iether divert to Glasgow and pic up the Virgin service there or see what Staff at Waverley planned on doing with a trainload of pax on a busy Sunday. As it happened none of this came true and although the incoming service was 10 late they managed to get the 2x 350 split and the front 4 cleaned, reserved, boarded and away on-time.
A couple late at Carlisle where I changed onto an 11 car Pendo (yes I know many of you are thinking Oh god, but I actually rather like them) which itself was 4 down on the 21:24 Carlisle>Crewe, the 20:10x Glasgow. Both this and the 350 were quite well used by people taking advantage of Scotlands Festive Hospitalitty and Shopping and in the case of both trains Carlisle was doing good business as had Lockerbie on the TPE. These are the last services of the day down the WCML before the sleapers and whilst I cant vouch for the Manchester working, the pendo was well used in standard anyway right through Cumbria but slackened off greatly by Preston. Only 1 or 2 late by now and remained that way despite a storming run to Crewe, reached at 23:22. This service which runs 7 days with little variation terminates here and I managed quite by chance to find someone else headed for the Premier inn on Western Road so shared a taxi. With railcard discount plus the Scottish Blind Persons Travelcard which allows free cross- border travel to Carlisle, I only paid £6.50 Advance single for this, plus £29 Premier Saver room rate - Excillent!
Its testimant to Premier Inns cumfy beds and Air Conditioned rooms that after only 5.5hrs sleap Im feeling fresh as a Dazy. Alarm at 10 past 6 and after a minute or 2 regaining conciousness its up, kettle on, a v refreshing shower and coffe before leaving the room just before 7. No breakfast yet available due to a technical issue but a refund is forthcoming and I grab a taxi to the station.

A slight change of plan was to take place here which rather than see me bording a 175 to Shrewsbury instead found me on the 06:58 Lancaster>Euston Pendalino, 08:01x Crewe and taken as far as Birmingham New Street. Signal checked down to very low speed through stafford but still on time at Woolverhampton where the train got very busy and despite being booked to wate 13 minutes here people were still boarding at the sheduled departuretime of 08:45. We eventually leav 3 down, really frustrating for anyone traveling onwards and on all my times of using these workings via BHM to reach London :theres some amazing First advances coming out of Scotland to be had if you dont mind the extended journeytime) is never something I'd noticed before. Finally reached BHM 6 late.

Status
Not open for further replies.