• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buckshaw Parkway Terminators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
Can anyone shed any light on these and why they have them rather than going into preston. Seems an odd place to terminate a train on this line

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Can anyone shed any light on these and why they have them rather than going into preston. Seems an odd place to terminate a train on this line

How about avoiding additional conflicting movements at Euxton Junction? Or that Buckshaw is about the natural outer limit of Manchester Commuterland?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
NR also installed a new crossover east of Buckshaw for this very purpose.
Although I'm sure it was for recovery of service during perturbation rather than a feature of the timetable!

RAPC

How about avoiding additional conflicting movements at Euxton Junction? Or that Buckshaw is about the natural outer limit of Manchester Commuterland?

It is the first one. Leyland sees similar levels of passengers as Buckshaw (albeit some are for Liverpool too) heading to Manchester, so it isn't that part. Just a feature of this timetable to work around Euxton Junction challenges. Leyland services that previously would have been these Victoria stoppers, are now being covered by some of the Airport to Blackpool services via Wigan. (When they actually run that is)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I bet the people of Buckshaw are quite happy to have an empty unit starting there...that's the reason that when commuting to London I always choose the Bletchley starter! :)

Bovverboy

Established Member
I bet the people of Buckshaw are quite happy to have an empty unit starting there...that's the reason that when commuting to London I always choose the Bletchley starter! :)

Indeed. If I wanted to travel to London from Burnley (which is where I lived for many years) I would go via Manchester rather than Preston.

Clip

Established Member

When i used it a couple of times this week and last it appeared that no one on the manchester bound platform was aware of it as they were not even going over the bridge to get on it.

wasnt aware of pathing issues at euxton

Thomas6187

The original idea was to run this service upto Preston using a 319. Using 2 sets you would have had a roughly 50 minute running time and 5 minute turnaround at Preston and Manchester Victoria. However, as the electrification work overran, it using a DMU it could only get to Buckshaw and back in the same timeframe.

Clip

Established Member
The original idea was to run this service upto Preston using a 319. Using 2 sets you would have had a roughly 50 minute running time and 5 minute turnaround at Preston and Manchester Victoria. However, as the electrification work overran, it using a DMU it could only get to Buckshaw and back in the same timeframe.

Interesting thanks.

Muenchener

It is the first one. Leyland sees similar levels of passengers as Buckshaw (albeit some are for Liverpool too) heading to Manchester, so it isn't that part. Just a feature of this timetable to work around Euxton Junction challenges. Leyland services that previously would have been these Victoria stoppers, are now being covered by some of the Airport to Blackpool services via Wigan. (When they actually run that is)
As beneficial as the crossover doubtless is for movements to and from Manchester there is a downside. The number of northbound paths has reduced meaning that connections from PRE are at risk particularly in light of the number of cancelled northbound services post May 21st...

geoffk

Established Member
When the line speeds are increased, will this service run through to Preston, calling at Leyland? Northbound trains stopping at Leyland are bunched into a 15-minute slot and all go to Blackpool.

Senex

Established Member
When the line speeds are increased, will this service run through to Preston, calling at Leyland? Northbound trains stopping at Leyland are bunched into a 15-minute slot and all go to Blackpool.
Why have the line-speeds not been increased? They've had enough years to get the work done. Or is it that the civil engineering is all done but in the absence of the feeder working up to 100mph could be too much of a current-draw for the present power-supply?

Veteran Member
See post #9. It's a case of sufficient stock being available.

darloscott

They have a 6 min turn at Victoria currently, with 13 min turn at the Buckshaw end. The transit to Preston appears to be timetabled for 10 min with a 75mph unit, so effectively Buckshaw is as far as you can get out & back in 2 hours with a 75mph DMU. Once everything is re-timed to take account of an increased linespeed and faster EMUs they should be able to stretch to get Preston into 2 hours?

If you look at the current timings for 156s they're given 43 mins to complete Preston to Salford Crescent, 185s complete the same at 37 mins (albeit without a Buckshaw stop), you'd expect 319s to cover the same distance in around the same time? That's 12 mins shaved off a round trip and therefore giving you your time to get to Preston & back.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
They have a 6 min turn at Victoria currently, with 13 min turn at the Buckshaw end. The transit to Preston appears to be timetabled for 10 min with a 75mph unit, so effectively Buckshaw is as far as you can get out & back in 2 hours with a 75mph DMU. Once everything is re-timed to take account of an increased linespeed and faster EMUs they should be able to stretch to get Preston into 2 hours?

If you look at the current timings for 156s they're given 43 mins to complete Preston to Salford Crescent, 185s complete the same at 37 mins (albeit without a Buckshaw stop), you'd expect 319s to cover the same distance in around the same time? That's 12 mins shaved off a round trip and therefore giving you your time to get to Preston & back.

It would be incredibly tight at best, no slack in the Preston turnround time, and assumed your slots over Euxton Jn and in the platforms at Preston married up *perfectly*. Summary = Very unlikely

Plus there won't be many places where a stopper can take advantage of 100mph running.

Status
Not open for further replies.