• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Budd Car Company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnshire

Was there ever a coach from the Budd Car Company tested on the railways here? was thinking it would be about 60 years ago? I remember travelling in a coach from Newcastle to Edingburgh and think it might have been a prototype coach.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Was there ever a coach from the Budd Car Company tested on the railways here? was thinking it would be about 60 years ago? I remember travelling in a coach from Newcastle to Edingburgh and think it might have been a prototype coach.
The XP64 set ran on the East Coast Main Line almost 60 years ago - that might be what you recall. They were built on Mark 1 underframes but had a lot of Mark 2 features.

There were also a few prototype vehicles around at the time trialling various new features which looked quite radically different in some cases, but all were built by British manufacturers, IIRC.

Traveled in a 1946 Budd built coach in Canada in 2015. Amazingly good condition for its age.
Very smooth riding even on jointed track.

lincolnshire

Looking at the information and picture on another site I am now sure that was the coach we travelled in from Newcastle to Edingburgh all them years ago as always had this idea that it had corrugated sides just like in the picture. Another thing I seem to remember was that there was call push buttons near the seats to call the attendent which they didn,t have on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.