• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buffet's on SWT Desiro's and 442's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

All 442s have a buffet.

444s have a tiny thing which is never used.

450s have nothing.

devon_metro

Established Member
What would happen if on a 10 car 442 the gangways were not connected/or were faulty and only 1 of the buffets was open :p

Coxster

Established Member
In response to the 444s, as Tom said they have some that are very rarely used. They do have static trolleys on some services though.

Andrew

So with the 442's going will they have more trolleys on the Desiro's as London-Weymouth with no drink or snack is a very long time

I believe originally the 444s were meant mainly for Portsmouth duties, with 442s on Weymouths because the Wessex sets have a buffet (and also have more First Class IIRC). I guess SWT will use the small buffets on the 444s when they go onto Weymouth duties, or will use more trollies, yes.

Coxster

Established Member
I believe originally the 444s were meant mainly for Portsmouth duties, with 442s on Weymouths because the Wessex sets have a buffet (and also have more First Class IIRC). I guess SWT will use the small buffets on the 444s when they go onto Weymouth duties, or will use more trollies, yes.
SWT 442s have a whole coach of first class. 444s have just under a coach of first class, with some standard seating near the rear of the coach.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
So with the 442's going will they have more trolleys on the Desiro's as London-Weymouth with no drink or snack is a very long time

Done Paddington - Hereford (3 hours) with no trolley, buffet or anything this afternoon! Thankfully we had a few minutes at Reading so jumped off and ran into the shop on p4 to get a bottle of Coke. £1.19 is a rip-off really, but I didn't have much choice! Lack of staff was the reason. Again. They do it a lot on Sundays apparently. More reasons to hate FGW...

T

Tom

Yet the SWT buffet was open in the unit closest to London on all Weymouth - London services.... :lol:

Oracle

Established Member
Back in 1995 or 1996 I used to catch a Southampton Central-Waterloo that coupled up at Central. They used to have a buffet in the Central stabler, and one on the Weymouth. The idea was that one closed and served the whole train but on numerous occasions both were open! That was when I used to commute twice a week from Swanwick. The other option was to change at Havant and have a nice seat in the buffet car on the Up fast Waterloo and eat a nice Danish pastry or two with fresh coffee. Same price, both ways or even to/from Victoria via Hove, for the same cost as Central-London without the car park charge (50p at Swanwick or free in the street). That was a half-hour's extra train journey via Central or via Hove a heck of a lot longer, all for nowt. Such was the anomaly that existed at the time.

T

Tom

Various ticketing anomolies exist now on our route Automotivehistorian,

We can go via Horsham (or direct route Southampton Central (via Hove)), Haslemere, direct, Reading, and I believe at Christmas via Salisbury!

Status
Not open for further replies.