• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Building a BVE route

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisA

Ok. I quite fancy the idea of building a route. (Nothing massive, just to see how i get on). How would i go about doing this? Which programme do i use and where do i get it from?

Thanks people

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member

eezypeazy

Hi Chris,

I am using RouteBuilder to build Tyne Valley and used it to build Aln Valley. If, like me, you don't want to fathom out the codes for handcoding, it provides a method for doing it graphically. You can even scan in a map and use it to "draw" your railway. I'll disagree with Damon again about "simple" though - I believe it's possible to construct quite complex layouts in RouteBuilder... for example, this screenshot shows my interpretation of Pelaw Jct between Heworth and Sunderland:

pelawjct.jpg

And RouteBuilder allows objects to be placed simply and accurately, like this new overbridge (with thanks to Craig Allan for the bitmap for the bridge parapet)
metalbridge2.jpg

But more importantly, using RouteBuilder's route definitions enables you to define which track the train will run on, and define lots of variations if you wish, very simply... I believe handcoders have to recode the whole route just to get a train to use a set of points and run "wrong line"....

If you are interested in using RouteBuilder, I'll happily act as a "mentor" to help you get under way....

Regards

eezypeazy

Guinness

Established Member
The problem with Routebuilder I find is the amount of bugs in the program. :(

Techniquest

Veteran Member
RB got on my nerves, and I couldn't get anywhere with it. I prefer hand-coding. The man's way of manufacturing a route. How I'll fare building my latest proposal I don't know, but it's easier in that a fair amount of it is single-track. Until I reach Malvern Wells that is.

Good luck ChrisA with whatever method you use. Either way will result in hair-pulling at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.