• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Building a Garden Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie babs

I am hoping for a bit of help at least thats my plea.

My task for this winter and spring is to prepare the part of the back garden for the Railway I want to put down. Having never undertaken such a task I am a bit worried I will get something wrong and it turn out a huge catastrophy (not unknown for me)

The problem I have is where I want to build, the grass gets water logged as we have an underwater stream going from the front garden to the back garden. So any ideas or does it not matter what I put on top. I am worried about it sinking.

Has anyone got any tips for building a railway garden.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The Garden Railway Manual by C J Freezer is a good introduction and covers both board type layouts as well as permanent "landscaped" railways.

What scale/gauge are you looking at? Ground level or raised?

Good foundations are always key, whether your garden floods or not: the track must remain absolutely level and free of kinks etc. If you're thinking of a narrow gauge type railway (SM32 or similar) then perhaps you could consider building a raised rockery or similar with either embankments or a trestle bridge/causeway where it crosses flood prone areas. Rockery gardens look good with NG models since the plants are somewhat miniaturised and the landscape is reminiscent of quarrying landscape.

newbie babs

fsmr its a G scale.

Metadyneman
I could not build at ground level because of the stream it makes the place where I am building it very wet.
I am not sure how far to build it but once I get to Christmas leave then I can have a go at doing some plans.
I have just had a look at your and its brilliant so cool.

Metadyneman

Cheers for that.. It has given me many years of pleasure so far and conitues to do so.... I can't expand it anymore unless my neighbours fancy a train passing through their garden!

fsmr

fsmr its a G scale.

Metadyneman
I could not build at ground level because of the stream it makes the place where I am building it very wet.
I am not sure how far to build it but once I get to Christmas leave then I can have a go at doing some plans.
I have just had a look at your and its brilliant so cool.

I have G scale analogue using LGB and USA trains brass track. Easy enough to lay, i use 3x1 inch timber planks for the staight and decking boards cut to form hexangles for the corners. Knock some 2x2 short stakes in and put the planks ontop at the height and level you want and screw the track on top. Put some gravel or mill waste under to form a base between the stakes and finish with fine granite chips that you get from garden center to form the ballast. The wood then dissapears. I built a tunnel using concrete blocks to form stone work entrance portals and slabs on top and then built a rockery mountain on top to please the wife!! Imagination is the key to it all. Just make sure you run plenty of feeder cables around (1mm copper strand is best) soldered or screwed with SSteel self tappers to the rails to maintain reliable contact around the layout.
regards
Nigel

Last edited:

maxnod

Phew! Where to begin?
For starters I'd suggest joining the G Scale Society,if you are going to be track powered, 16mm Society if you fancy live steam, if you haven't already done so. That may be a bit of a generalisation, but the local area groups can be quite helpful.

Also I'd suggest 'Googling' Garden Railway Forum. For some reason, I can't get a link????

Also, because I'm on the Committee:): http://www.butterleygardenrail.co.uk

Come down and see us and have a natter any Sunday, we're not too far from Sheffield.
Alternatively, the GCR down at Rothley have an LGB set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.