• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bump at Swanage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Morning All
News coming through of a "pitch in" at Swanage ... A blue
diesel (33108 ? ?) has collided with stock in Swanage station, platform area
taped off by RAIB...... is what I have heard so far ! !

Ta StoneC

Thats from WRgen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nathan

When they say collided at a platform area, theres only a 20mph speed limit as it is and even less on entering a station. The damage could not be that great surley?

Coxster

Established Member
Our rough shunt at the EKR was just 5-10mph and smashed up the sleepers acting as the buffer stops against a concrete-lined embankment, aswell as damage to the front of the train involved. A slow rough shunt causes much more damage than you'd expect. I'll see if I can dig out the photos.

Nathan

A slow rough shunt causes much more damage than you'd expect.

Yeah your right, that is quite surprising. What was the cause of the collision? I should have gone over to Swanage and stood on an overlooking hill if RAIB have tapped the area!

AlexS

Established Member
The damage a slow speed shunt can cause is quite ridiculous. The Great Central Railway shunt in February caused the stock to fly backwards, injuring a chef and possibly some others (off the top of my head this is!), and caused some nasty damage to the locomotive.

And then the Cannon Street accident was at less than 5 mph, and destroyed an EPB as well as causing a fatality.

Beaker

Established Member
I have seen the damage to 33108 and said coach. But im not going to say anything else, and i dont agree with any of you making up rumours ,as so far you have managed to create the story of 33108 has hit into a rake of coaches at 20mph from nothing. This is not chinese whispers.

Coxster

Established Member
I have seen the damage to 33108 and said coach. But im not going to say anything else, and i dont agree with any of you making up rumours ,as so far you have managed to create the story of 33108 has hit into a rake of coaches at 20mph from nothing. This is not chinese whispers.
I think you'll find no-one has said "THIS is what happened" but have discussed the possibility of what MAY HAVE happened :roll: The quote in Stephen's post was NOT by someone on this forum and had a lot of question marks in it anyway!

Beaker

Established Member
My point is that you lot dont have to answer the question marks as you dont know what actually happened. Anybody could be reading this , you could get the railway in trouble for something which did actually happen , you just giving people bad rep.

by you i mean you in plural not just Coxster.

Coxster

Established Member
My point is that you lot dont have to answer the question marks as you dont know what actually happened. Anybody could be reading this , you could get the railway in trouble for something which did actually happen , you just giving people bad rep.

No-one has said "this is what happened" so how on earth could the railway get in trouble? As for "not just Coxster", what was wrong in my one other post in this thread? It didn't even mentioned the Swanage incident in it!!!

Turbostar

Blimey! Chill out man will ya! Get a life! It's not rumours, we're merely just guessing what's happened here, until the full story is revealed. No one is trying to get the railway in trouble, & anyway why should the railway get in trouble just 'coz we're guessing what happened? Bad rep? lol If you don't like what's written on here, & are easily offended, don't read it in the first place!

Mart

Nathan

The best bit is this is all made up of guesses

Sorry but im with Coxter, afterall im one of the "plural". You admitted it yourself and a reader of this particular forum thread after reading all of these posts i think would generally get the idea. Stephen's quote is a source from Wessex Rail Gen. For those doing/done history GCSE ;), The origin of this source is unknown and is not reliable. The source does not contain a high level of detail and does not carry any conscious bias, the author is unknown and could have come from the driver at the time of 33108 for all we know.

In conclusion based on these facts... your getting everyone ****ed off!

PS, when you said "you have managed to create the story of 33108 has hit into a rake of coaches at 20mph from nothing." i do believe stating "locomotives dont really do more than 10mph until departing the station". State the obvious, we're all railway enthusiasts with various interests and are therefore not stupid, If you expect locomotives to do 20mph from nothing i'd like to see what era your in?

Turbostar

Jeez, even on here it looks like the PC brigade are at work, you can't say nothing without getting someone accusing you of wrongdoing. With people like Beaker jumping down your throat through something said, how are you supposed to have your say, after all a forum is just for that purpose, without overstepping the mark of course. That is the whole reason why we joined on here, to have a chat, general say, find out what's happening, etc. etc.

Mart

Nathan

Jeez, even on here it looks like the PC brigade are at work, you can't say nothing without getting someone accusing you of wrongdoing. With people like Beaker jumping down your throat through something said, how are you supposed to have your say, after all a forum is just for that purpose, without overstepping the mark of course. That is the whole reason why we joined on here, to have a chat, general say, find out what's happening, etc. etc.

Well said, maybe a bit less complicated and more understandable than my own.

Beaker

Established Member
My point is that it is a crash , and all you seem to care about is trying to think how it happened , not waiting till it gets published why / how. Also you dont seem to give a hoot about if people were hurt.

Turbostar

Your point being? And yes, we do care 'bout people getting hurt, we're not that dishearted. Like I said, this is a forum. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

Mart

Established Member
it was posted on one of the yahoo gen groups im on so i know what happened, so u may as wlel give up trying to hide it, its guna get out in the open pretty soon!! Your just gutted coz its happened at you toy railway!

Coxster

Established Member
My point is that it is a crash , and all you seem to care about is trying to think how it happened , not waiting till it gets published why / how. Also you dont seem to give a hoot about if people were hurt.
If people were badly hurt them I'm sure it'd have made the news. I'm not even sure if the tragic incident down the Bodmin & Wenford earlier this year made it onto the forum!

Beaker

Established Member
it was posted on one of the yahoo gen groups im on so i know what happened, so u may as wlel give up trying to hide it, its guna get out in the open pretty soon!! Your just gutted coz its happened at you toy railway!

Ha just because it is on yahoo groups said something happened doesnt mean it did. Im not trying to hide the truth just people making up their own version of the truth is a bit annoying. Its hardly a toy railway either.

Established Member
That wasnt me who nicked named it that, and im not saying who it was, Its obvisous, that 33108 hit some coaches damaging one!, there you go thats the thruth wasnt that hard to say was it!

Tomnick

Established Member
Can we stop it with the petty arguments? I've not seen a single thing in this thread likely to get the railway into trouble - the RAIB will carry out their investigation based on the facts and what they find on site, not a tiny amount of speculation. No-one has even attempted to guess the cause, or who (if anyone) was at fault. As long as we're careful what we say, I don't see a problem!

Nathan

Ha just because it is on yahoo groups said something happened doesnt mean it did. Im not trying to hide the truth just people making up their own version of the truth is a bit annoying. Its hardly a toy railway either.

Then leave us corrected then, tell us the truth. Or we can wait for it, as Coxter has said on the RAIB website. You can't deprive us of our freedom of speech and regardless of what we say, its personal opinion whether or not you want to believe our views are entirely up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.