• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bureau de Change @ Kings Cross/St. Pancras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Off to Andorra tomorrow morning. Still packing the noo. Forgot to get some Euros prior to trip and leaving before the Bureau de Change opens up here in the frozen north. Therefore can any one suggest a reasonable BdC near KGX/STP.

Don't fancy getting ripped off by some shyster.

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
The post office on the other side of Euston road - or just alo9ng from that there is another travel money place - to the right if your looking from front of station

ex-railwayman

It depends on when you arrive in London, according to Google, there is an HSBC Bank and a Barclays on Euston Road dead opposite Pancras Road, if you're in the area in office hours the bank will be open, if not, then you'll have to wait until you get to the airport. Even if you use a proper bank over here, you only need to get a few quids worth of Euros to tie you over until you get to your destination and can get sorted out much better over there.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman,

Last edited:

stut

Established Member
There is a BdC in St Pancras, just next to the Eurostar arrivals, but I can't imagine you'd get a good rate there. If you can, I'd just use an ATM on arrival.

Barclay

There is an international currency exchange in the new western concourse at KX, alongside the entrance to the first class lounge.

Wolfie

Established Member
There is a BdC in St Pancras, just next to the Eurostar arrivals, but I can't imagine you'd get a good rate there. If you can, I'd just use an ATM on arrival.

You would not be wrong with your assumption having looked at that place in the past!!!

Skymonster

Established Member
IIRC all the exchanges IN St.Pancras station charge a commission as well as offering a crap rate... You need to go outside the station to the post office or a bank if you can. My experience with buying foreign yesterday in London (OK, dollars not euros, but none the less...) was that the Post Office or Marks & Sparks offer a better rate than the BdCs or the high street banks.

Andy

D1009

Established Member
There are some branches of ICE where you can get a very good rate for euros if you go on-line beforehand and print off a voucher. Not sure about their normal rate though.

mailman

There is an HSBC right across the otherside of the street from the station as well. What ever you do NEVER exchange money at an airport or train station...you will just get ripped off.

Mailman

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I have used the Post Office opposite St Pancras before and they were OK. However, I usually prefer to use an ATM when I arrive.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Slightly out of the way, but one of the best rates in the country is usually on the concourse at Waterloo (ICE). You have to get the rate on line first. Go via www.travelmoneymax.com.

coupwotcoup

Bank of Bilbao always gives a top rate. Top end of Cannon Street in London, but does shut at 3pm.
I think the limit is a grand per person but you need more than a passport, so utility bill + 1.

radamfi

Established Member
Opening a Metrobank current account at one of their branches in the London area is the cheapest way of getting foreign currency as they don't have any loading on the exchange rate and don't charge commission. They will issue you a bank card on the spot once the account is open. They have long opening hours and are open 7 days a week.

For actually paying with card there are a few cards that don't load or charge commission:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Prepaid debit cards are the next best thing to a Metrobank current account if you are unable to visit one of their branches.

Wolfie

Established Member
I was actually up that way yesterday. There is a bureaux de change (also does hotel bookings and theatre tickets) directly opposite the old Kings Cross entrance (across the side road from McDonalds). It was offering €1.20 to the £ commission free (better by €0.05 in the £ than the post office) - job's a good un.....

Status
Not open for further replies.