• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Burton on Trent to Grimsby

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Hi,

Please bear with me if I'm asking in the wrong place. I'm travelling from Grimsby down to Burton this weekend. I have an Off-Peak Return as I didn't know what time I'll be travelling back on Sunday.

I'm not certain of the possible routes, but I have a reservation on Sunday for Burton - Derby - Sheffield - Grimsby.

What I'm wondering is, in terms of permitted routes between Burton and Grimsby, what my possibilities are. Do all Burton trains go to Derby? Do some carry on to Sheffield or Meadowhall? Or is the routing above all that's available?

I'll have two big bags, so I don't really want to be off and on trains if there's a through one I can take.

Thanks if anyone has any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
No through trains I am afraid.

Burton trains either go to Sheffeild and Doncaster (not all) as a changing point for Grimsby. Sheffield is the most logical as more trains from Burton stop there.

Burton has a lot of services heading to Nottingham (hence the change at Derby) Some of the longer distance XC services heading for beyond sheffield stop at Burton but not as many.

You can also if you want to travel from Burton - Nottingham and change there for a service via Lincoln, but these are very infrequent.

DeeGee

Burton trains either go to Sheffeild and Doncaster (not all) as a changing point for Grimsby. Sheffield is the most logical as more trains from Burton stop there.

Interestingly, Nationalrail suggests changing at Doncaster for the outward journey, whereas Redspottedhanky, who I bought the tickets from, suggests Sheffield. It's the same train. They're both through stations, should I change at Donny or Sheffield for the easiest interchange?

My reservation for Friday night is:

16:34 Grimsby - 18:08 Sheffield
18:23 Sheffield - 18:51 Derby
19:10 Derby -19:21 Burton

Am I likely to be able to pick up a direct train from Sheffield to Burton at that time in the evening rather than going to Derby?

Failed Unit

Established Member
Interestingly, Nationalrail suggests changing at Doncaster for the outward journey, whereas Redspottedhanky, who I bought the tickets from, suggests Sheffield. It's the same train. They're both through stations, should I change at Donny or Sheffield for the easiest interchange?

My reservation for Friday night is:

16:34 Grimsby - 18:08 Sheffield
18:23 Sheffield - 18:51 Derby
19:10 Derby -19:21 Burton

Am I likely to be able to pick up a direct train from Sheffield to Burton at that time in the evening rather than going to Derby?

If you want to hang around Sheffield for a while longer you can get the 1854 which arrives at Burton on Trent 1938, depends on how quick you want to get home.

Sheffield and Doncaster are both not very big stations, so unless someone knows for sure you will be on the same platform at one or the other it doesn't really matter. Sheffield does give you more choices of trains further south if disruption happens so I would go for Sheffield for that reason.

redthunder

Much better off changing at Sheffield, the direct trains from Sheffield to Burton tend to come from Leeds anyways, plus if XC have any problems up the ECML which has been happening a lot, you got the 2 EMT trains which start at Sheffield still as a back up, which still gives you reasonable connections to the Burton trains from Nottingham, if theres problems after Derby to Burton, there's always the X38 or Villager buses to get you to Burton if you are in a hurry!!

button_boxer

Established Member
As you've got an off-peak ticket rather than an advance you don't need to make any reservations, you can just use the later train from Sheffield anyway. But if you do want to reserve a seat any station ticket office should be able to make an additional reservation for you if you show them the ticket (up until the day before the journey).

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
That leads me to an interesting question. Does making an additional reservation cancel the previous reservation, or is it possible to accumulate seat reservations on journeys of various times on one ticket?

Failed Unit

Established Member
That leads me to an interesting question. Does making an additional reservation cancel the previous reservation, or is it possible to accumulate seat reservations on journeys of various times on one ticket?

It should do - but if you get the station to do it I am not sure if they know that you previously had a reservation. I have always handed it in when getting them changed, but if I have an open ticket and have handed this over to the station they have never asked if the ticket has previously had a reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.