• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus 1, Car 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boxcars

I think there is an example of bollards in Cambridge Town as well

I live in Cambridge and know these rising bollard locations well. How anyone can miss the warning signs is beyond me. The signs are absolutely clear. Loved the video BTW :lol:

Tom C

Southwark Council fitted those bollards on Rye Lane in Peckham but I think they were deactivated after a Dart got mullered by one.

Nick W

Established Member
your taking rubbish im afraid.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I will post my calculation.

It is closed from 10am to 4pm
This is from 10/24 to (12+4)/24 of a day.
= (12+4)/24 - 10/24
= 16/24-10/24
= 6/24
= 1/4

It is either closed or open.
Therefore time is is open =
1-(1/4)
= (4/4)-(1/4)
= (3/4)
(3/4) = (75/100)
= 75%

Therefore the road is open 75% of the time.

This does not take into account days where the road is closed for other purposes or for different hours to usual.

If you have better figures post them here.

Sprog

Established Member
I'm not sure what you mean, but I will post my calculation.

It is closed from 10am to 4pm
This is from 10/24 to (12+4)/24 of a day.
= (12+4)/24 - 10/24
= 16/24-10/24
= 6/24
= 1/4

It is either closed or open.
Therefore time is is open =
1-(1/4)
= (4/4)-(1/4)
= (3/4)
(3/4) = (75/100)
= 75%

Therefore the road is open 75% of the time.

This does not take into account days where the road is closed for other purposes or for different hours to usual.

If you have better figures post them here.

MATE, you just cant put this sortve thing into statistics :?

Peoples utter stupidity is IMPOSSIBLE to predict/plot.

So in summary, your talking rubbish.

Sorry Nick.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If the road is open, then the bollards will remain sunk into the road.

Tomnick

Established Member
I don't see how it's relevant whether the road's open to traffic 0% of the time, 75% of the time, or only on Thursdays and alternate Saturdays. When it's closed, it's closed - and it's pretty obvious that you can't go down there!

Sprog

Established Member
I don't see how it's relevant whether the road's open to traffic 0% of the time, 75% of the time, or only on Thursdays and alternate Saturdays. When it's closed, it's closed - and it's pretty obvious that you can't go down there!

exactly.

Tom B

Established Member
Anything can be "proven" by statistics.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Sprog

Established Member

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

whatever.

at the end of the day, numbers are NO excuses for peoples stupidity.....

TheSlash

Established Member
I've looked at Nick's figures and they prove un questionably that for 75% of a 24 hour day, the road is open.
To simplify what Nick has said, the road is shut for 6 hours out of a total of 24 hours. This is 25% of the total.
At the sametime, Nick, it is clearly indicated by governemt approved signs that the road is shut to cars etc between the hours of 10:00 and 16:00.
I agree with Nick's suggestion about using cameras to catch people breaking this rule. It's similar to the carrot and stick line of thinking.
You can physically prevent them going down there by use of the bollards, or you can encourage them not to go down there by use of warning signs and cameras.
Overall though, i am disappointed at the attitude being shown to Nick by some people. Obviously i can excuse Tom B because he is naturally that way, but the rest of you shouldn't denounce things just because they are suggested by Nick.

LucaZone

yeah I think top gear showed a lorry driving into one fully loaded. It totally destroyed the cab, and embedded deep into the lorry. It could still operate ok though.

Although its not down to the bit that sticks up from the ground, its about the surrounding re-enforcement of the holse it comes from. If that gets damaged, only then will the bollard have trouble working.

I can see them being very useful for level crossings, instead of barriers. Then there is no way of beating the train :)

Nick W

Established Member
I can see them being very useful for level crossings, instead of barriers. Then there is no way of beating the train :)

Thanks to over a century's worth of investigation, reccomendation, experiments and improvements from, until recently, experts in their field, the railway has achieved a good balance between safety and practicalily for all those affected.

Adding rising bullards to the railway will undermine over a century's work that has ensured that the safety of even people who make mistakes and/or disobey rules is an acceptable level.

Please leave the level crossing the way they are, even if AHBs are not yet ideal.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics
So true, as I learnt the other day in school.

MATE, you just cant put this sortve thing into statistics :???:
True I suppose it could be open and closed at the same time, or semi open, in which case the 75% figure is flawed.

Electric trains cannot go down the GWML futher than airport junction any of the time. It is clear from signals which way the train has been routed. It is obvious that electric trains cannot continue any futher than the knitting allows. Yet HeX drivers have been known to take a wrong route. This does not meen that they are stupid.

Should they replace the mercury tube oversize train bars before the tube tunnel entrances with a solid metal bar that will stop the train for sure and add clear signs warning that large trains cannot proceed?

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Electric trains cannot go down the GWML futher than airport junction any of the time. It is clear from signals which way the train has been routed. It is obvious that electric trains cannot continue any futher than the knitting allows. Yet HeX drivers have been known to take a wrong route. This does not meen that they are stupid.
I'm sure Kestrel wouldn't like that comment!
Even if they noticed they were given a wrong route, (AFAIK Airport Junction is a non-approach-controlled, 90mph turnout) they cannot brake in time to avoid coming off the knitting as the overlap for the wires ends not long after the flyover.

Should they replace the mercury tube oversize train bars before the tube tunnel entrances with a solid metal bar that will stop the train for sure and add clear signs warning that large trains cannot proceed?
Complete bollox, it'd seriously injure and/or kill the driver :roll:

Nick W

Established Member
Sounds like someone at DfT has got the right idea.

Meanwhile in Croydon people are ignoring signs:
CarOnTrackSAN2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.