• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus 1, Car 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Turbostar

It's like something out of one of those Candid Camera type shows. The expression of the drivers caught out looking puzzled says it all. lol

Mart

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We have these bollards where I originally came from - one driver said he'd sue the council, then he got issued with a court summons for entering a pedestrian area :)

There was a campaign in the local paper against them, and the council sadly fitted them with sensors :(

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Level Crossings? ;)

I remember watching a TV show about parking enforcement in Philidelphia (USA) and they had rising bollards in their car pound that an 11.5t lorry travelling at 40mph couldn't knock over.

Nick W

Established Member
We have these bollards where I originally came from - one driver said he'd sue the council, then he got issued with a court summons for entering a pedestrian area :)
Fair enough, he should get compensation for the damage, and pay a hefty fine for being lazy and stupid plus court costs.

There was a campaign in the local paper against them, and the council sadly fitted them with sensors :(

The sensors mean that they won't spear a pram or knock over an old lady.

asopu10

Great idea! They should fit them in nottingham, that way the cars might actually stop blocking up the bus routes.

Mushroom

North West Tonight did a report on this a couple of months ago. Apparently it's a common occurence. They take only 2.5s to raise to their full height so there is apsolutely no chance of getting through before they go up. But despite the large flashing signs people still don't get the message and try.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Dreadful!!! :D We need to see more of these. And yes, they should protect level crossings when the barriers are about to go up :D

I'd like to hear what the people who are caught out say too ;)

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Great. Hope they did plenty of expensive damage to the cars, which will really serve them right, and the fact that their stupidity is now on the internet for all to see just adds to the punishment, which is far worse than any fine.
I don't think they would work at level crossings though, since the main problems are at open crossings, where fitting them would probably cost more than fitting barriers, and at half barrier crossing, where fitting them to the exit side would block the exit to the crossing, which wouldn't be allowed, and would actually be an accident risk. Also, I doubt they would be substantial enough to deal with a heavy vehicle, or even a car travelling at high speed. You're also adding an extra accident risk where someone tries to outrun the bollards and they come up under the vehicle, causing it to stop on the crossing. The only real way to deal seriously reduce the risk of incidents on level crossings is to either close them or to convert them all to CCTV or locally monitored full barrier crossings with barriers substantial enough so that nothing is going to get through enough to foul the running lines.

Nick W

Established Member
Great. Hope they did plenty of expensive damage to the cars, which will really serve them right, and the fact that their stupidity is now on the internet for all to see just adds to the punishment, which is far worse than any fine.

I don't like the idea of this new form of punnishment, which could potentially kill somone (an innocent *bus* driver in Manchester nearly got speared). We don't even kill murderers in this country. Think about the environmental cost of replacing what was a perfectly good car.

I'd rather see CCTV and ANPR similar to the congestion charge system. People pay a fair fee, say £250 if they want to access the town centre (and another £250 to get out again maybe). The money earnt can go towards the public transport pot.

David

Established Member
I know this is going to sound harsh (and probably contraversial), but....

He brought that upon himself. The road was closed to through traffic, so he knew he shouldn't of gone that way in the first place....

Ben

Not much Sympathy Im afraid,

Hes must of been doing well over the speed limit Chest and Abdominal Injuries.

Nick W

Established Member
Maybe it was the first time he had gone that way during the time the road was closed, and following a bus or taxi he had now idea the bollard would pop up.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They don't just put these bollards up in random places - they're always at the entrance to Pedestrian Zones and always accompanied by one (or more) of the many signs that equate to "No motor vehicles."

Nick W

Established Member
They don't just put these bollards up in random places - they're always at the entrance to Pedestrian Zones and always accompanied by one (or more) of the many signs that equate to "No motor vehicles."

In this case 75% of the time motor vehicals were allowed to go down the road..

Tomnick

Established Member
In that case, they'd be accompanied by one (or more) of said signs for the remaining 25% of the time. Difficult to miss, but that's what they say about low bridges!

asopu10

I have no sympathy, there are signs up and he sholdn't have been going down there.

Absolutley classic!

Well, Optare solos are obviously better than a beasty gas guzzler car!

Status
Not open for further replies.