• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarbear

Established Member
I used to keep records of all my journeys by public transport for around 5 years in the late 1980's/early 1990's. A fair smattering of standard NBC type vehicles I would imagine.....I'll have to see if I can dig them out.:D

As for types of buses I've been on in service, from the top of my head;

Leyland: Lion, Tiger, Royal Tiger, Leopard, National, National 2, Olympian, Atlantian, Lynx, Lynx II

Seddon Pennine (unfortunately):roll:

Dennis: Dominator, Domino, Dart, Javelin

Bristol VR, RE, LH :D

Routemaster

Daimler Fleetline

Metrobus & Mertobus Mk II

Optaire: Solo, Spectra, Excel, Excel II, Tempo.

And probably many others that I can't remember now!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aha, something I can get into! I'm not as into my buses as I used to be, as the scene's changed too much. When I first started taking a proper interest, First Cymru was overflowing with step entrance Darts. Proper beasty ones, and you've not had a proper Dart bash unless you've been up Mount Pleasant Hill or Middle Road in either direction in Swansea. Good, awesome times and I only wish I'd made an effort to capture the delights of such things on tape when I was living down there and commuting on them regularly. Same for noting moves properly and making more effort with video/photography on the buses when I used to very regularly travel to/from Hendrefoilan Student Village. Many Marshall-bodied Darts plenty of step entrance Darts on routes 8/9/8A/9A, even got the occasional Olympian in (34804 comes to mind, need to find my 2004 First Bus Handbook to see what I got on once) and on a Sunday morning a Mini-Merc on what I think was route 37A or similar. Damn it, I'm getting flooded with memories now...Wonder what they use up there these days, probably nothing interesting.

Anyway, back in reality, I commute 5 days a week to work and accumulate plenty of mileage doing so. I've lost a lot of my moves when I lost my 2011 moves book, fortunately I'd noted the mileages per vehicle down before then on a scrap of paper so carried on from those totals. They were lower than what I knew I had been on, so there's been no fudging before you think it! These days, instead of travelling on Darts of proper beasty noise (going up Middle Road on a SLF Dart is just no fun, and I know so from having done route 111 all the way from Swansea to Llanelli some time ago), my usual moves see me on a Mercedes-engined MCV Evolution and one of three different Optare Solos. Since you're all so keen to know what my figures are:

YJ05 WCW (Optare Tempo, my old regular vehicle before the MCV): 3,132.2
YE52 FHA (Optare Solo): 1,363.7
Y876 PWT (Optare Solo): 605.2
Y877 PWT (Optare Solo, the one that turns up for me most often): 1,127.6
YJ59 GFZ (Optare Solo, never turns up now on my move home): 131.6
YJ58 CFG (Optare Tempo): 282.5
VA51 SAR (Optare Spectra): 569.3
W408 UCJ (Optare Excel 2, an absolute monster): 317.9
VX12 FBO (MCV Evolution, my current regular move to work): 665.1

All mileage since 23rd March 2011.

As for route numbers bashed, can we count ones done in Eire too? If so, I've been on Dublin Bus' 16A and 41 over there, no idea what route numbers I've done on Bus Eireann now (Dublin to Rosslare and Wexford to Waterford). On these shores, I have honestly lost track of what routes I've done all in all, so this list is very far from exhaustive. You know that I'll be doing more bus routes on purpose to add to this list now don't you Ivo! ;) So we go:

8, 9, 8A, 9A, 14, 31, 32, 33, 49, 51, X53, 55, 66 (Swindon to Oxford, how'd I forget that one!), 70 (Swindon to Andover, can't think what it's numbered beyond Marlborough at the mo) 72, 75, 78, X94, 94, 97, 100 (Cardiff to Swansea Shuttle IIRC), 104 (was before Hereford City Council renumbered the bus routes and changed everything around some years ago, 2003/2004), 110, 111, 112, 151, 234, 265, 266, 416 (Hereford to Monmouth, now Stagecoach has it as 36), 461, 462

Can't remember the rest right now. Might have done 33 in Swansea years ago, vaguely remember doing a 6 there too but difficult to be sure. Wish I had a more accurate list now, definitely going to start such a log now. More there than I originally thought there would be, more kept coming to mind as I went along. Shocked I'd forgot about the 66, heart-of-wessex will no doubt remember how much we hated that! I even had to Google the 49 from Trowbridge to Swindon, that was embarassing...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Still got a fair few routes in Hereford to try out there, could easily add the 74 to my list soon, as well as the 71 as they'd both form a nice tidy way of getting to work. Would probably be better keeping it for a bus bashing day though to be honest.

Schnellzug

Established Member
All right, I've been drawing up a rough list of everything I think I've ever ridden in. Not, I wish to emphasise, all in sevrice, including Rallies and so on. Anyway; this is as far as I've got from A to L:

AEC Routemaster (RM, RML, RMA, RMC)
Regent III (RT)
Regal IV (RF)
Regent V
Reliance
Renown

Alexander Dennis Pointy Dart
Mini Pointy Dart
E200 & various others

Bedford MLC* * anyone know what that is?
OB
SB
one of those slightly dull coaches, YNT or something, I expect

Bova Futura
Magiq (the three axle coach)

Bristol K5G (the double decker, I think that's what it is)
L6G (the single decker)
FLF (Lodekka)
MW (Royal Blue coach)
SUL
RE (bus & coach)
VR srs. II & III (Gardner 6LX, 6LXB & Leyland 501 & 680 engine)

DAF (including VDL)
SB120
SB220
SB220LF
DB250
DB250LF (Optare Spectra & Northern Counties)
MB230 (beast, sounds just like a Leopard)
SB3000

Daimler
Fleetline

Dennis Dart **
** but how many different kinds of bodywork? Now there's a question
Dart SLF
Lance
Lance SLF
Arrow
Javelin
Trident

Ford Transit :D

Iveco 49.10

Leyland Atlantean (PDR1 & AN68)
Fleetline (Gardner & Leyland engine)
Leopard
Lynx
National mk.1 & II
National Greenway
(which I think you can count as a separate model)
Titan
Titan PD2
Tiger (TL11 & Cummins L10)
Olympian (Gardner, Cummins & Leyland Tl11 engine)

Last edited:

jp4712

That's an interesting list, whose AEC Renown did you travel on?

If I had to list preserved vehicles I've ridden on the list would be four miles long, but I will list everything I've ever driven:

AEC Regent III
AEC Regent V
AEC Reliance
AEC Renown
AEC Routemaster
Bedford OB
Bristol K5G
Bristol L5G
Crossley DD42
Foden PVSC6G
Daimler Fleetline
Daimler CVG6
Guy Arab IV
Leyland Atlantean
Leyland Leopard
Leyland Panther Cub
Leyland National
Leyland PD1
Leyland PD2
Leyland PD3
Leyland PS1
Leyland PS2
Leyland TS2 (a beast!)
Leyland TD7
Leyland PLSC1 (how many people can say they've driven one of those?)
Atkinson PD746 (ditto)

Strange, I've never driven an Olympian, nor a Tiger, nor anything by Dennis.

Paul

Last edited:

jp4712

Ah yes, of course. I rode on the ex-Leigh ones in GMT days and I'm very pleased to say that I've driven preserved Leigh 15 many times. It's quite a clamber over the wheelarch past the handbrake to get in but once you're there it's lovely to drive, almost like a car.

Paul

PS forgot that I also drove North Western 796, a Leyland Tiger Cub - very nice but absolutely no guts whatsoever on the hills.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've also been having a think about compiling a list of vehicles I've ridden in service, so here goes;

AEC
Routemaster

Alexander-Dennis
Enviro200
Enviro300
Enviro400

Bristol
VR
B21 (Alexander Belfast)

DAF
SB220 (Optare Delta, East Lancashire)

Dennis
Dart (Plaxton, Wright, Alexander)
Dart SLF (East Lancashire, Plaxton)
Trident (Alexander, Plaxton)

Leyland
Atlantean (Northern Counties, East Lancs, Alexander, ECW)
National MKI/2
Leopard (Alexander Y-Type)
Fleetline (Northern Counties)
Tiger (East Lancashire, Alexander TE)
Titan
Olympian (ECW, Alexander RH)
Lynx

MAN
14.220 (East Lancashire, MCV Evolution, MCV Stirling)
18.220 (Alexander ALX300)
18.240 (ADL Enviro300)

MCW
Metrobus MKI/2
Metrorider

Mercedes-Benz
811D (Alexander, Optare)
814D Vario (Alexander, Plaxton)
Citaro

Optare
MetroRider
Solo
Solo SR
Tempo
Versa

Scania
N113CRB (Plaxton)
N113DRB (East Lancashire)
L113CRL (Wright)
L94UD (Wright)
N94UD (East Lancashire)
N230UD (ADL Enviro400)

Volvo
B6 (East Lancashire, Alexander)
B10M (Alexander, Plaxton, Northern Counties)
B10M Citybus (Alexander, East Lancashire)
B7RLE (Wright)
B7TL (Wright, Plaxton)
B9TL (Wright)
Olympian (Alexander, Northern Counties, East Lancashire)

Wrightbus
Streetlite

As far as I know, these are the ones I've been on, there are probably many more - I just can't remember them right now.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
My turn! I'm not doing bodies though; I don't know half of them! I also don't really know about coaches either.

Those marked with an asterisk (*) are models that I have travelled on only after preservation.

AEC

Routemaster

ADL, Dennis, etc

Dart
Dart SLF
Dominator
E200
E300
E400
Lance
Lance SLF
Trident

Bristol

RE*
VR*

DAF

SB220
...not sure. Some double-deck thing in Ipswich.

Leyland, etc

Atlantean
Fleetline
Lynx
National
Olympian
Titan*

MAN

...not sure. Several single-deck things in and around Bristol.

Mercedes-Benz

Citaro (both artic and non-artic)
Vario, etc

Optare

...not sure. Some step-entrance single-deck thing in Blackpool.
Solo
Solo SR
Versa

Scania

N94UD (I think it was that)
N230
...several others I'm not sure about

Volvo

Too much to list.

--------------------

Gee, I suck at this. I have learned something in writing this post though - I feel very sorry for people in and around Harrogate/Wetherby. I have learned that at least one of Southend's hideous N-reg Scanias has apparently been bought by connexionsbuses...

This picture is evidence of that.

Last edited:

class156

These are the bus types i've traveled on

ADL
Dart SLF
Trident
Enviro 200
Enviro 300

Bova

Futura (Hate the things)

DAF
SB3000

Dennis

Dart
Dart SLF
Javelin

Leyland

Atlantean
Fleetline
Leopard
National
Olympian
Olympian (3 Axle)
Tiger
Titan (B15)

MAN

A69

Mercedes Benz

709D
711D
814D

Neoplan
Skyliner

Optare

Excel
Metrorider
Solo
Versa (Don't like these)

Scania

L113CRL
L94UB
N230UD

Volvo

Ailsa (Built less than 200m from my house :D)
B6R (Built less than 200m from my house :D)
B6LE (Built less than 200m from my house :D)
B6BLE
B7R
B7RLE
B7TL
B9R
B9RLE
B10M-55, -62
B10MA
B12B
B12M
D10M Citybus (Built less than 200m from my house :D)
Olympian (Built less than 200m from my house :D)

Last edited:

Schnellzug

Established Member
Alright then, part II:

where was I..

MAN
SR280 (coach)
14.220, if that's what they're called

MCW
Metrobus
Metrorider

Mercedes Benz
709 :roll:
811 :p
Vario :o
Urbanranger
Bendibus
Touro (coach)

Neoplan
Cityliner
(I never have managed a ride in a Skyliner, I'm sorry to say :| )

Optare (complete vehicles)
Excel
Metrorider
Solo
Tempo
Verso

Renault
S50 (minibus)

Scania
I've never really been sure what the model codes all are exactly, but:
Scania/Van Hool coach
Scania/Irizar coach
Wright Eclipse singledecker (or is it Solar? See what I mean)
Omnidekka
N260/Optare doubledeck
Those ugly square things that Arriva The Shires used to have

Volveau
Ailsa
B6
B6LE
B6BLE
B10M (bus & coach)
B58 (bus)
B10B
B10BLE
B7TL
B7RLE
B9TL
B12B
B12M
Citybus
Olympian

Wright
Actually, not sure that I have yet, i'll keep you informed

(Oh yes, one I forgot, Dennis Dominator as well)
* Oh yes, and Leyland Panther (King Alfred).

** And another I mustn't forget; Blue Bird (American), steering lock like a container ship but goes like the clappers.

*** and how could I forget, Dennis Charabanc (c. 1928) :o

Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
I agree with Mt Pleasant hill in Swansea it used to be well worth a trip with sdtep entrance darts or a old merc now however I wouldnt really bother unless a Optare solo appears.

I remember spending a few hours when I was attending Swansea Metropolitan University bashing a step entrance dart on service 11 Swansea - Mayhill which was always extremely good fun.

I once did service 404 Swansea - Gorseinon - Pontardulais - Llanelli on a step entrance dart which was fun even if the journey was 90 minutes.

I even did the Swansea city circle service when they used a plaxton coach

One of the best trip I ever did was on service X55 Swansea - Pontypridd & back between lectures journey time each way was 85 minutes on a East Lancs bodied Scania double decker the views going up the Neath valley was great even getting a good look at Tower colliery.

Sadly the deckers were replaced on service X55 by some plaxton Centro bodied volvo's which were so overcrowded at times you couldnt get on by OAP's meaning a lot of fare paying passengers stopped using the service and it has been withdrawn with a few oap's moaning.

I was lucky last summer when Veolia used a double decker on the Bridgend - Brecon sunday only beacons bus service which travel via Nantymoel and Rhigos now that was scary in parts.

I am looking forward in the next few weeks to getting a trip on First Cymru's Bristol VR MOD 571P from Swansea down to Mumbles. This is something I must reconmend and I believe some members may remember this bus from when it was operating in Weymouth.

I have even attached some pics for you all

jp4712

No - I saw the ex-Ramsbottom (ex-Warrington, ex-Halifax) Albion Nimbus several times, but although I may have ridden on it as a child I'm not going to claim it. Similarly I saw Ribble's Lowlanders regularly, even copped the ex-Bamber Bridge one; and on family holidays to North-East Scotland we saw Alexander (Northern) Vikings all over the place, but again I don't believe I ever had a ride.

Paul

Ivo

Established Member
Thinking back to the list I gave last night, I have a rather odd story relating to my use of a Bristol RE. The vehicle in question was Eastern National's 1516 (FWC 439H), the date was Sunday 13th October 2002, and the location was Canvey Island.

I went to the island's annual bus rally on that day (only the third I had ever been to; the other two were Southend and North Weald earlier that year) with a friend. Before long, we headed for 1516, and were greeted by a friend of my friend, who is wheelchair-bound - and we learned that he had a Korean film company with him, who were filming a documentary about "unusual interests"! So, before long, my friend, another friend and I were all sat down in front of the camera discussing buses - and with that, we all ended up on Korean TV!

I never saw the finished product, even though I had the chance to - but I don't mind. Still, imagine how nervous it must have been for a shy 13-year-old to be put in front of a camera with literally a few minutes' notice, with almost no time to prepare what I would say and no experience at all - and knowing fully-well that the film was bound for television!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Funky!

As for the proposed FSA bash, I like the sound of it but dunno when I could do it. A Monday is about the only opportunity for me as I have virtually no time off all week without booking time off especially. With little of interest left in Bristol and Bath, both of which have no steppy Darts I seem to recall let alone any deckers, I dunno whether to make a firm decision on it or not.

Ivo

Established Member
Funky!

As for the proposed FSA bash, I like the sound of it but dunno when I could do it. A Monday is about the only opportunity for me as I have virtually no time off all week without booking time off especially. With little of interest left in Bristol and Bath, both of which have no steppy Darts I seem to recall let alone any deckers, I dunno whether to make a firm decision on it or not.

Bath and Bristol still have step-entrance Darts ;)

And Weston still have Volvo Olympians.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Still using step-entrance Darts in Bristol and Bath? That really does surprise me, pleasantly of course. I would imagine only certain routes get them these days, compared to the heyday of my bus spotting days when there were seemingly endless parades of Darts. I'll give the meet some consideration, but like I say Mondays are my most likely days to do the trip.

As for what bus types I've been on, well I have little knowledge on them but I've had a fair few different sorts.

Ivo

Established Member
Your best bets are the 4, 5 and 36 in Bristol and the 10 and 14 in Bath.

They do sometimes creep onto other routes as well. They appear occasionally on the 18 here, while I saw one on the 54 in Bristol in March! Similarly, I saw them on consecutive journeys on the 231 a couple of weeks ago...

martinsh

Established Member
No - I saw the ex-Ramsbottom (ex-Warrington, ex-Halifax) Albion Nimbus several times, but although I may have ridden on it as a child I'm not going to claim it. Similarly I saw Ribble's Lowlanders regularly, even copped the ex-Bamber Bridge one; and on family holidays to North-East Scotland we saw Alexander (Northern) Vikings all over the place, but again I don't believe I ever had a ride.

Paul

Interestingly you don't mention any of the companies I actually rode on

Lowlander - East Midland and South Notts
Nimbus - Booth and Fisher (ex Halifax) and Devon General

Also remember Albion Victor coaches though I never had a ride on one.

Zamracene749

Regarding step darts, rode the 161 Frome-Wells on a pleasant if a bit tatty L reg specimen yesterday, passed another going the opposite direction so they may be regulars on this pretty route for those interested.
This was followed by a less comfy 06 LF example on the 126 to Weston which was surprisingly rattlier than the last bus I rode that way- a Badgerline Bristol RE around 23 years ago!

Schnellzug

Established Member
Regarding step darts, rode the 161 Frome-Wells on a pleasant if a bit tatty L reg specimen yesterday, passed another going the opposite direction so they may be regulars on this pretty route for those interested.
This was followed by a less comfy 06 LF example on the 126 to Weston which was surprisingly rattlier than the last bus I rode that way- a Badgerline Bristol RE around 23 years ago!

I once had a Lynx on that. Eeeh, those were the daaays.

Zamracene749

Heh heh, gotta admit I love a bit of transport nostalgia (just forget the leaf springs, vinyl seats, useless heating, fugged out smoky top decks in winter, condensation streaming down windows and the fact that pre 1990 and internet if you wanted timetables for an area you actually had to visit it first to get them!).

Anyway been thinking about buses i've ridden on in normal (not heritage) services and the list is surprisingly large,even without listing body variants and with some pretty rare stuff:-

Bristol RE plus B51 prototype
Bristol VRT/ECW, VRT/NCME,
Bristol LH/LHS Marshall, Plaxton
Leyland National plus Greenway and Go north east rebuilds
Leyland Atlantean (also a single decker ELC rebody run by Hylton Castle Coaches!)
Leyland Leopard plus ELC 2000 and Duple 320 rebodies
Leyland Tiger plus the one off Q registered rear engined ECW prototype run by OK travel
Leyland Titan (the 70s London model- i'm not that old!)
Leyland Olympian also the stretched ECW coaches
Leyland Lynx
Leyland-DAB Tiger Cub, another one off run for a while by United at Loftus
Leyland -DAB Bendy (the one that looked like an articulated MK11 national)
Daimler Fleetline, plus single decked examples in Darlington
Dennis Dart/SPD/SLF/MPD/Lance/Lance SLF/Domino/Dominator/ Falcon (In Hartlepool)/Lancet(Redby)/Trident/trident hybrid
AEC RM/RML- Not just in London, I'm told I travelled on Northern examples as a tiny kid to Crimdon!)
Scania Metropolitan, N113, L94, Omnicity, Omnidecker
Volvo B6/7/9M/10/Olympian/
Optare Citypacer/Delta/Sigma/Vecta/Metrorider/Spectra/Prisma/Solo/Versa/Alero/Excel/Starrider
MCW Metrobus/Metroliner/Metrorider
Mercedes Citaro/0303/L608d/Vario
Freight rover Sherpa
Dodge/Renaullt S56
DAF sb220/120/db250/sb220gs/
MAN11.190, 18.220
Ford Transit/ R1114
Ward Dalesman
Seddon Pennine 7( may have ridden an RU in Darlington but cannot remember for certain)
Iveco daily
CVE Omni (between Hexham and Corbridge on a community service)
VW Transporter (Kirkby Stephen to Barnard Castle)
Bedford Coaches(vam/Y series? on Rochester and Marshall also Wright Brothers and other north east independants)
Bluebird LMB (Northumbria Coaches)
MCV Evolution
Temsa Avenue
Designline Olymbus

As well as a variety of other minibuses, post buses, airport transfer buses, really modern stuff and proper coaches that I didn't take proper notice of along with Skoda and Solaris trolleybuses abroad, various Karosas, Ikarus, Mercedes(including James Irvine Citaros in Hannover) etc etc.

HTIOI

The most obvious missing example is the Volvo Ailsa- never even ridden one in preservation. Perhaps a 'biggest regret or one that got away' bus/train nostalgia thread is needed?

Last edited:

martinsh

Established Member
Well, I've given a few teasers before, but here is a pretty full list. I'm sure there are more - particularly coach types. This is UK only and doesn't include preserved (except when they were operating a normal service).

ACE
Cougar
AEC
Merlin
Regal IV (RF)
Regent III
Regent III (RT)
Regent V
Reliance
Renown
Routemaster RCL
Routemaster RM
Routemaster RMF
Routemaster RML
Swift
Albion
Lowlander
Nimbus
Alexander Dennis
Enviro Dart
Enviro 300
Enviro d/d
Bedford
J2
SB
VAM
VAS
WTB
YMT
YRQ
YRT
BMC
Falcon
BMMO
D9
S21
S22
S23
Bova
Europa
Futura
Bristol
B21
FL
FLF
FS
FSF
LD
LH
LHS
LS
MW
RELH
RELL
RESL
SC
VRTSL
VRTLL
Csepel
“N844”
DAB
07-1735L
“Artic National”
Tiger Cub
DAF
DB250
SB120
SB180
SB200
SB220 – Optare Delta
Daimler
CCG5
CVG6
Fleetline
Fleetline s/d
Roadliner
Dennis
Arrow
Dart
Dart SLF
Dominator
Dominator s/d
Domino
Dragon
Falcon
Falcon HC d/d
Javelin
Lance
Lance SLF
Lancet
Loline
Pax
Trident
Dodge
G08
S56
Foden
NC
Ford
570E
R192
R1114
Transit
Freight Rover
Sherpa
Guy
Arab IV
Otter
Iveco
LDV
Convoy
Leyland
Atlantean AN68
Atlantean AN69
Atlantean PDR1
Atlantean PDR2
Cub
Fleetline FE30
Leopard PSU3
Leopard PSU4
Lion LDTL
Lynx
National
National 1B
National 2
Olympian ON
Olympic LW1
Panther PSUR
Swift
Tiger TR
Tiger Cub PSUC
Titan PD2
Titan PD3
Titan TN15
Marshall
Minibus
Mercedes
307D
608D
709D
811D
O814D
O405
O405N
O405GN
Citaro
Citaro Artic
MAN
SG192R
MCW
Metrobus
Metrorider
Neoplan
N416
N4009
N4016
Optare
Alero
Excel
Metrorider
Solo
Tempo
Versa
Plaxton
Primo
Renault
S75
Scania
BR112 dd
BR112 sd
K93
K112
L94
L113
Metropolitan
Metroscania
N112
N113
Omnicity
Omnicity artic
Omnidekka
Seddon
Pennine IV-236
Pennine 7
RU
Spartan
TXM2242
Sunbeam
F4
F4A
Talbot
Pullman
Technobus
Gulliver
Pantheon
Van Hool
T815
Volvo
Ailsa
B10B
B10BLE
B10L
B10LA
B10M
B58
B6
B6LE
B7L
B7RLE
B7TL
B9TL
Citybus
Olympian
Volkswagen
LT55
Ward
GRX11
Wright
Gemini
Streetlite

PS sorry this didn't format like it appears in the draft ....

aylesbury

Any body remember City Coaches ,Wood Green to,, Southend ,LT buses all types 1945 onwards ,Brighton ,Southdown ,East Kent,Bournemouth ,Eastern National,West Cliff On Sea,Canvey Island Transport,unfortunately First Bus,Arriva,United Counties,Green Line.One type I remember in London were the Guy Arabs on the 121 ,they were unfrozen vehicles with wooden seats and barely made it up the hill into Nth Chingford.On the 38 we had Leyland PD1,s which were comfortable to ride in.The Lowlanders in Southend were magnificent vehicles comfortable and loads of room,the open top buses here were goodd as well.A local company in Bucks ,Red Rover used ex LT buses ,RT,RTL RTW and a Bridgemaster.Oxford City had some interesting vehicles All in all I prefer the buses up to the seventies current vehicles are rattly and uncomfortable to ride on.

causton

Established Member
Those ugly square things that Arriva The Shires used to have

Used to? There's still a few knocking about Hertfordshire way if I know what you mean... let me google a few reg nos and see if I can find a photo...

here ya go ;) http://www.flickr.com/photos/bens_transport_photos/5515837225/

The rest of the other buses round Hertfordshire aren't half bad though... we've got Citaros, some nice Scanias, a load of Enviros, even some nice "vintage" (early 2000s) Darts! And a load of ex-London stuff, and some ex-Eden Project bendy buses...

(Check out the pictures below if you're interested, for buses go straight here :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.