• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Cab Analogue Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Good Evening Chaps,

I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable bus experts could provide any detail on the clock in the image below, it was given to me many years ago by a now deceased uncle who spent his most of his working life working at the bus depots/garages of Stockport Corporation Transport, later SELNEC, then GM Buses.

Iam guessing it is from a Leyland PD2 or similar as Stockport had a large fleet of these vehicles, it's a mechanical device with electric illumination which I've just connected to a 12v DC supply and amazingly the bulb is still working, it's been stored in the garden shed for over thirty years and bulb has never been changed, it would be great if anyone could confirm its origin,

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
Good Evening Chaps,

I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable bus experts could provide any detail on the clock in the image below, it was given to me many years ago by a now deceased uncle who spent his most of his working life working at the bus depots/garages of Stockport Corporation Transport, later SELNEC, then GM Buses.

Iam guessing it is from a Leyland PD2 or similar as Stockport had a large fleet of these vehicles, it's a mechanical device with electric illumination which I've just connected to a 12v DC supply and amazingly the bulb is still working, it's been stored in the garden shed for over thirty years and bulb has never been changed, it would be great if anyone could confirm its origin,

Thanks.

Until somebody with more local knowledge can give an answer I'd say it was quite rare for buses to be fitted with clocks like this. They were commonly used on coaches, usually placed above the driver on the front bulkhead so that passengers could see them. I'm not aware that Stockport had coaches however several of the SELNEC fleets did so it's possible it came from one of those.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Many thanks to you both for the replies, been doing a bit more digging and it seems the Leyland Tiger Cub for one could have been so fitted along with a similar square style speedometer and perhaps vacuum gauge? I know that SCTD had some of these single deck buses, in my first post I inadvertently stated I tested the bulb with a 12v supply, it was infact 24v as that appears to be the bulbs voltage therefore less likely to be from a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.