• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Canteen Prices Subsidized OR Taking You For A RIDE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pond

Lothian Edinburgh :
Morning Bacon Roll 1.40,
Mug off Tea 1.00,
Main Meal Curry and Rice 4.00
Bottle of Coke 1.30

Subsidized? How do your prices compare?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cesarcollie

Lothian Edinburgh :
Morning Bacon Roll 1.40,
Mug off Tea 1.00,
Main Meal Curry and Rice 4.00
Bottle of Coke 1.30

Subsidized? How do your prices compare?

I’d say you’re pretty lucky to have a canteen! Very few left now. And those prices might well be subsidised - they’re not cheap to run!

175mph

On Moderation
I’d say you’re pretty lucky to have a canteen! Very few left now. And those prices might well be subsidised - they’re not cheap to run!
Scunthorpe bus station used to have a staff canteen but the newer one that's there now doesn't have a staff canteen.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Guildford bus station has an interesting arrangement. Three adjacent rooms. Kitchen in the middle room, with a serving hatch on one wall to serve the drivers' rest room, and a serving hatch on the opposite wall to serve passengers in the third room! No idea how the public and staff prices compare though.

175mph

On Moderation
Guildford bus station has an interesting arrangement. Three adjacent rooms. Kitchen in the middle room, with a serving hatch on one wall to serve the drivers' rest room, and a serving hatch on the opposite wall to serve passengers in the third room! No idea how the public and staff prices compare though.
I wish Scunthorpe bus station had a canteen that served passengers food too as well as the drivers!

Mwanesh

Most places dont have canteens. That looks cheap to be honest .Stagecoach Oxford have a set menu .One of the best places to eat

RT4038

Established Member
To determine whether the prices are being subsidised or not you would need figures on the cost of running the canteen (staff, cleaning, utilities, rent, products for sale etc) versus how much revenue is being made from sales. If your employer is paying any of the costs, and/or any shortfall, then it is being subsidised.

darloscott

Arriva Dewsbury had a canteen when I worked there briefly, and Wakefield also did. Not many left now, certainly nowhere in North East have one!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The main building at the Riverhead Exchange in Grimsby sort of doubles up as a staff canteen but passengers can use it too, when I first went I actually thought that it was the staff canteen until I was told by one of the Stagecoach drivers that anyone can go in.

I'd imagine that drivers would probably get some form of a discount.

dmncf

I heard once that First or its predecessors in the west of England had some canteens that were managed by the staff (or union?) and not by the company. Is this true and does this arrangement continue?

Alexbus12

We used to have a fantastic family run cafe at the old Bolton bus station. Was fantastic, cheap and always friendly... Now at the new Bolton interchange, there's an expensive Greggs.

Andyh82

Established Member
Was it like the one they used to have in Preston Bus station?

Fixed plastic chairs attached to the tables

Coffee I expect was either with milk or without.

James H

The canteen at Go Ahead’s Waterloo bus garage in London is now open to the public with signs outside. Been meaning to try it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Was it like the one they used to have in Preston Bus station?

Fixed plastic chairs attached to the tables

Coffee I expect was either with milk or without.
Useful for keeping an eye on when your bus came in, though, on the Preston Bus side at least. Don't remember fixed plastic chairs, but could be wrong.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
We used to have a fantastic family run cafe at the old Bolton bus station. Was fantastic, cheap and always friendly... Now at the new Bolton interchange, there's an expensive Greggs.

First time I've ever seen Greggs and Expensive in the same sentence.
:E

Kahuna47

Everyone always had mixed opinions on it, lol. I always found it good on a Monday morning, Sausage on toast, 1.40 and a cup of tea 80p!

Olympus chippy next door offer a discount to similar sorts of prices when in uniform :)

I remember the old canteen at Moor Lane, you could cut the air with a knife with all the grease!

All the First depots in Manc still have canteens at the moment, and Bury Interchange still has one too (I think), all relatively subsidised, although Greggs can be cheaper in a lot of cases. Not many left in TfGM land now, they're not getting replaced when they build a new bus station. I'm pretty sure over in Leigh there's a serving hatch thats never been opened too.

Statto

Established Member
Speaking of Preston Bus Station, there's what looks like a canteen for drivers upstairs, by stand 20, you see drivers going through a staff only door to get there.

YorkshireCJ

We have a pretty decent canteen at Wakefield, does Breakfast 6-11 ( i think ) and serves a few different meals through the day. Tea and Coffee is 50p. Also we have a Pool table, Table Tennis and a Darts board :)

Status
Not open for further replies.