Bus Crash Devon

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by father_jack, 5 Oct 2019.

1. father_jack

father_jack Member

Seems rather serious.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/double-decker-bus-crash-declared-3396340

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Veteran Member

Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
    Seen on BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49944705
    Obviously, goes without saying that first thoughts must be with those affected and pray that those injured make a full recovery.

No need to speculate on other factors.

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Oct 2019
  4. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

5. DaveHarries

DaveHarries Established Member

Thoughts indeed to all the injured and I join in the hope that they will make a full recovery.

Dave

6. MarkC

MarkC Member

Thoughts Indeed to all involved. Passengers and the driver. Awful news but hopefully all will make full recovery.

7. Bus Lightyear

Bus Lightyear Member

Very worrying incident for everyone involved. I sincerely hope that all affected make a full recovery.

8. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Established Member

Hopefully all escaped and everyone is okay. Overturn incidents with deckers in the UK are quite rare these days.

9. westcoaster

westcoaster Established Member

Hope everyone involved is ok, and makes a good recovery.

Wonder if it was as simple as dropping a wheel on the verge (that gave way).

10. TheGrandWazoo

Speculation is not really appropriate

11. DaveHarries

DaveHarries Established Member

The location is slightly mis-spelt. It is Longcombe Cross which is near Berry Pomeroy. The BBC have put a map on their website as a clarification.

On another note the Devon General Omnibus Society have posted to Facebook that the open day planned for Exeter depot for Sunday 06th October has now been cancelled. No reason given on the FB post so it may or may not relate to the RTC on the A385. The ScSW website is, however, still advertising the event.
    www.facebook.com/devongeneralsociety/posts/533653204126031

Dave[/U]

12. Jozhua

Jozhua Member

No fatalities fortunately.

Still not great, although this is the first time I've heard of it happening!

What features do double deckers have to prevent toppling if any and are there adjustments made to the top decks to protect passengers in a case like this?

13. Mitchell Hurd

Mitchell Hurd Member

That's awful.

In a 'BUSES' magazine over a year ago I think, possibly 2, a First Group Volvo Olympian / Northern Counties (N-reg I think) was reported overturned while well loaded.

I think that's why I'd say all buses have an emergency exit window both sides incase of this.

As well as for the people onboard, my worry is how long it will be before the bus starts smoking!

I'm guessing the diesel Stagecoach use takes stupidly long to catch fire?

14. AM9

AM9 Established Member

What would you suggest that could stop them toppling over, emergency outriggers/struts?

15. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Established Member

Or just the fact that the tanks probably were not damaged that badly. Roll over incidents like this are why deckers have opening rear windows upstairs, however with high back seating (which this vehicle had) it does somewhat limit the functionality of these.

16. Roilshead

Roilshead Member

The significant property of the fuel here is its flashpoint - the temperature at which its vapour will ignite when exposed to an ignition source (such as a hot engine manifold). Diesel is regarded as a combustible fuel, and has a high flashpoint somewhere between 52-96C (so feel free to handle diesel whilst smoking). Petrol, on the other hand, is regarded as an inflammable fuel, and will ignite at temperatures as low as -43C. DERV PSVs do burn-out, so I'm guessing that if the fuel tanks had ruptured and diesel come into contact with the engine manifold then the temperature would have been sufficient to ignite any vapours, and the story would have been very different . . .

17. DunsBus

DunsBus Member

The DGOC Facebook page and the Stagecoach South West sites have both now been updated with the announcement of the cancellation of the open day.

18. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

Four air ambulances, eight seriously injured, the fire service had to cut holes in the roof of the bus to extricate some people. Just because there were no fatalities at the scene doesn't mean this wasn't an extremely serious incident. Thirty odd years in S.W. England and I've NEVER heard of deployment of 4 air ambulances, even in the worst M5 crashes. From the photos, another Stagecoach d'd (unscathed) was in the vicinity at the time, too.

19. cnjb8

cnjb8 Member

BBC spelt Edinstowe here in Nottinghamshire as Edwinstone so they have history.
    Hope everyone is alright.

20. henairs

henairs Member

Thoughts go out to all involved and prayers for a speedy recovery for all injured passengers and driver.

Must have been very frightening.

Mike R

21. TheGrandWazoo

Buses are designed and built to exacting safety standards and construction and use regulations. Vehicles are expected to remain upright up to a minimum of 28 degrees. This is aided obviously by the fact that most of the weight is chassis based.

Buses do have, and have always had, exits on both sides for this very eventuality.

As for saying diesel takes stupidly long to catch fire.... well, that perhaps isn't the best phraseology to use. It's rather fortunate in many incidents that it doesn't. Other posters have mentioned about relative flashpoints. In most accidents, as in this one, fire is not an issue thankfully. When fires do occur, they are seldom fuel related.

This was a serious incident and one can only hope that the injured make a fast and full recovery. In the circumstances, cancellation of the open day is the correct decision.

22. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

Absolutely.

23. father_jack

father_jack Member

Devon live reporting this
    https://www.devonlive.com/news/devo...k.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Last edited: 9 Oct 2019
  24. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

Isn't the legal age for a bus driver 21? Also Clearly the driver was NOT fully trained, if this is the first time he was on the route, where was his mentor?

25. carlberry

carlberry Established Member

No, it was changed in 2008.

26. ChrisPJ

ChrisPJ Member

No, under 21s have been able to get a D cat licence way before then, though restricted to local work.

27. TheGrandWazoo

Perhaps it's me but I really don't think a union official should be saying anything to the press until an investigation has been carried out.

28. buslad1988

buslad1988 Member

Not sure his age is relevant. It’s perfectly legal and he’s been trained and passed all his PSV licence requirements.

From my past experience with three companies (none of which are Stagecoach) generally mentors are only with new drivers for a matter of days and you aren’t trained on every single route... it’s up to you to learn them.

29. Mwanesh

Mwanesh Member

You dont do a route unless you have been signed off by your mentor. The union guy is well out of order. If he is representing the driver, then the driver has no chance.

30. PG

PG Member

I'd agree, very poor form.

31. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

I'm assuming the poor driver is really guilty of not wanting to join the RMT...

(As an aside, the scariest driving I've ever seen was an older driver who'd had years to establish all those bad habits!)

32. Mitchell Hurd

Mitchell Hurd Member

Even I'm wondering this. On my local Stagecoach routes (Oxfordshire), a driver would have mentor with him. Or to put it another way, if a service is worked by a regular driver, you'd occasionally have a new driver onboard, in this case he or she is a passenger, who's learning the route.

If the location where the bus overturned is well-known for accidents then maybe the council should reduce the speed limit to say 40mph.