• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Crash Devon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jozhua

Established Member
You dont do a route unless you have been signed off by your mentor. The union guy is well out of order. If he is representing the driver, then the driver has no chance.

Yeah, that makes me feel somewhat uneasy. With no evidence of wrongdoing, does the driver not have a right to privacy? I'm sure there's not many 19 year old bus drivers around, would probably be pretty easy to identify who they are...

No results from the investigation either yet, who knows if experience was even a factor?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
BBC spelt Edinstowe here in Nottinghamshire as Edwinstone so they have history.
That's what it's called, at least by the Ordnance Survey...
https://binged.it/2OAuIka (link to OS map showing name of Edwinstowe)

...and by the people that make the signs...
https://goo.gl/maps/M1XRvygvcLAtoQaV6 (link to Streetview showing sign to Edwinstowe)

And by Google (back out of Streetview on above link)

The locals may differ.
(and I wasn't conceived there... as far as I know)

Likewise I hope the injured make a full and quick recovery.

Last edited:

Man of Kent

No, under 21s have been able to get a D cat licence way before then, though restricted to local work.
Changed by section 37 of the Transport Act 1980, in fact. However, I believe some insurance companies now have excessive premiums for under 21 drivers, so some operators will not employ them.

PG

Established Member
Changed by section 37 of the Transport Act 1980, in fact. However, I believe some insurance companies now have excessive premiums for under 21 drivers, so some operators will not employ them.
Indeed it was, and I took advantage of it a few years later.
Insurance wise this is unlikely to be a consideration for Stagecoach group subsidiaries as Stagecoach effectively self insure.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I agree that the union man should shut it until the police have finished the investigation and issued their report: I have my own theory as to why he has spoken now but uttering it here may not be a good idea and may simply earn me a return salvo or two. Meanwhile there has been praise for the emergency services who attended the scene.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49947683

Dave

CC 72100

Established Member
Yeah, that makes me feel somewhat uneasy. With no evidence of wrongdoing, does the driver not have a right to privacy? I'm sure there's not many 19 year old bus drivers around, would probably be pretty easy to identify who they are...

No results from the investigation either yet, who knows if experience was even a factor?

Well note that it was the RMT and not the individual's employer who decided to put that out into the public domain!

Classy... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jozhua

Established Member
Well note that it was the RMT and not the individual's employer who decided to put that out into the public domain!

Classy... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm aware o_O
I'll refrain from commenting on RMT in general, but not very impressed by this incident.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Think we were thinking along similar lines...!
Indeed. The unions never make an impression on me and this won't improve that situation where they are concerned. Seems to me that the RMT, for one, always jump on the first bandwagon that they can get their hands on. No details should be disclosed about the driver unless he is arrested in connection with this RTC which, so far, he has not been.

Dave

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If the location where the bus overturned is well-known for accidents then maybe the council should reduce the speed limit to say 40mph.
I must say that it’s just one of so many roads down here that are national speed limit, but if you make a mistake then they’ll bite you. Hard...
Years ago I had a part time driving job for a local firm, there were a few of us that had various daily routes throughout the south west, and this road was on mine for a while. We used to swap around every so often and a colleague of mine took this one over. A few weeks after she did she ended up misjudging a verge (and she was a very good driver), span the car, went backwards into a low stone wall and ended up with the back of the car teetering over the edge of the hill a la The Italian Job...
It all looks lovely and rural, but even experienced drivers can come a cropper in the blink of an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.