• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus crash in York

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From the Yorkshire Evening Press

buscrash.jpg

FIVE PEOPLE were slightly injured after a bus crashed into a shelter in York city centre, showering passengers with glass.

The accident happened on the south side of Stonebow, opposite the Jobcentre, yesterday at about 12.20pm. The number six First bus hit the shelter as it pulled up at the bus stop, shattering the glass panelling.

Peggy Hand, an elderly passenger from Bishopthorpe, was just sitting down at the shelter when the bus struck, and told of the drama.

"The glass came everywhere," she said. "I was covered. I had a few cuts to my leg and glass on my clothes."

Mrs Hand said: "I was in the act of sitting down when everything exploded. It was terrible. It does show how things can happen so quickly."

Peter Edwards, commercial director of First, said five people were slightly injured in the crash.

He said: "We are investigating what happened and will be interviewing the driver concerned."

He said it appeared the driver had overtaken another vehicle at the previous stop, and was trying to get his bus as close to the shelter as he could.

As he came in at an angle, he hit the shelter.

Of the five people injured, one was taken to hospital. Mr Edwards said their condition was not serious.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
yorkie said:
The accident happened on the south side of Stonebow, opposite the Jobcentre, yesterday at about 12.20pm. The number six First bus hit the shelter as it pulled up at the bus stop, shattering the glass panelling.

Well that's some more people who wont be looking for a job for a while.....

tramboy

You have to feel sorry for First York drivers though, it is very difficult to drive through York city centre in rush hour, as the roads are really too small, with many tight corners.

Dave

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Yes, I do agree with you there, although I should imagine it's very difficult to do it in many cities at rush hour. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.