• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus driver got off bus and punched motorist 10 times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What was this van doing in the bus lane anyway? Probably too busy on his mobile or reading the paper or eating his burger to notice the signs for his turn. There are plenty of signs and markings on the road.

Eating a burger whilst driving is bad enough, but reading the paper when driving can lead to consequences not worth thinking about, especially in a built-up area...<(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Given Uno recently had a driver arrested for (alleged) dangerous driving, perhaps this guy can get a job there? He does sound like he might be over qualified though.

Can they prove he tried to deliberately roll his bus onto the car?

That might help his chances.

RJ

Established Member
I note in the report in the first posting on this thread that there is an admission that he wanted to "bottle" another person. Having seen what such a facial injury can be sustained in a medical documentary by the use of such weapon, anyone threatening to use a weapon of that sort in the full knowledge of the injury that could be caused with the expressed intent to do so, is not deserving of any sympathy whatsoever.

It's not nice - I was on an N29 when it was operated by bendy buses - someone in the seat behind me got bottled - the skin on the top on his head split clean open. Not the prettiest sight in the world.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's not nice - I was on an N29 when it was operated by bendy buses - someone in the seat behind me got bottled - the skin on the top on his head split clean open. Not the prettiest sight in the world.

And proves how dangerous bendy buses were in London. :D

ECML180

However it was the European court of Justice that in 2012 decided that the practice of charging males more various insurance products compared with their female counterparts was inherently discriminatory and made a judgement saying that insurers could not discriminate on gender basis .

Yet they can still discriminate based on age!

Seems silly how after passing 5 tests and having around 40 hours instruction I can't get insurance to drive a full size bus as I'm only 19, yet muppets like this can (in theory) despite serious convictions.

Established Member

Seems silly how after passing 5 tests and having around 40 hours instruction I can't get insurance to drive a full size bus as I'm only 19, yet muppets like this can (in theory) despite serious convictions.

You can, it's just that most companies don't have policies which will cover anyone of that age.

(I started driving buses when I was 20.)

muz379

Established Member

Apparently they can yes - To be honest its not really discrimination its just statystical risk analysis . They are allowed to use Age as a factor in insurance if they are relying of information it is reasonable to rely of . And accident figures do represent a reasonable source of information .

. TBH I think that European court of justice decision was flawed anyway . It interfered far too much with the way Insurance companies Measure risk . Statistically young Males are overrepresented in accident statistics . So it was wrong for the European court of justice to ban insurers from taking this into account in my opinion . And yes I am a young male who would be expected to pay two grand to insure a group 1 car .

ECML180

You can, it's just that most companies don't have policies which will cover anyone of that age

Yeah that's what I mean, thankfully my employer has been kind and bothered the insurance company into doing a deal. Initially they were reluctant but we ended up with insurance on up to 16 seats.

Apparently they can yes - To be honest its not really discrimination its just statystical risk analysis . They are allowed to use Age as a factor in insurance if they are relying of information it is reasonable to rely of . And accident figures do represent a reasonable source of information .

. TBH I think that European court of justice decision was flawed anyway . It interfered far too much with the way Insurance companies Measure risk . Statistically young Males are overrepresented in accident statistics . So it was wrong for the European court of justice to ban insurers from taking this into account in my opinion . And yes I am a young male who would be expected to pay two grand to insure a group 1 car .

That's the problem - at the end of the day it is discrimination in that the stereotype you fit into dictates the price you pay, even though it is reasonable. I fully understand that young males are often found to be the ones wrapping their cars around trees or lampposts, but you would have a pretty hard time charging more if the high risk group was people of a certain ethnicity!

Equally, imaging that anyone under the age of 21 was charged a high fare on the railway, based on the fact that they are more likely to attempt to fare evade.

Anyway...back on the topic ;)

muz379

Established Member
That's the problem - at the end of the day it is discrimination in that the stereotype you fit into dictates the price you pay, even though it is reasonable. I fully understand that young males are often found to be the ones wrapping their cars around trees or lampposts, but you would have a pretty hard time charging more if the high risk group was people of a certain ethnicity!

Equally, imaging that anyone under the age of 21 was charged a high fare on the railway, based on the fact that they are more likely to attempt to fare evade.

Anyway...back on the topic ;)
Its just statistically the way it is though . Insurance companies have to use something to differentiate between different people they are insuring . The European court of justice judgement had the complete opposite effect of the desired one on the insurance market in that it meant the average premium for everyone went up . My Girlfriend saw her Premium shoot up some £450 in one year just because the insurer could no longer offer her a lower premium because she is a girl and in a statistically lower risk group . Not allowing Insurers to use age as a basis for deciding upon risk would mean that life insurance premiums would go through the roof for everybody as insurers are not going to reduce the price of a premium for the highest risk group . Car insurance premiums wold also increase for all groups . Id rather pay through the nose now and get a cheaper premium one day , than have to pay through the nose always .

Your premise of charging young people more to travel on the railway is not really relevant because your train fare is not the same as an insurance companies product . Where they are covering you against a risk of something that can be statistically measured .

Statto

Established Member
Spot on. When danger reared it's ugly head, WhiteVan bravely turned his tail and fled. Yes brave WhiteVan he turned about and gallantly he chickened out.

What was this van doing in the bus lane anyway? Probably too busy on his mobile or reading the paper or eating his burger to notice the signs for his turn. There are plenty of signs and markings on the road.

So that's ok for the bus driver to assault the van driver then?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
If the driver was defending himself against the threat of violence then yes.

Defending against violence seems reasonable.

Defending against a threat of violence doesn't seem to involve hitting someone 10 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.