• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Driver Shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCH117X

Established Member
Mod note - discussion has been split off from the Transdev Blazefield and First Greater Glasgow threads

But how long will a few months be? The national driver shortage is plainly linked to the HGV driver shortage and the latter are better paid with their own office (cab) and a far more limited risk of catching CV19 - I can only imagine the shortage of bus drivers will worsen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
But how long will a few months be? The national driver shortage is plainly linked to the HGV driver shortage and the latter are better paid with their own office (cab) and a far more limited risk of catching CV19 - I can only imagine the shortage of bus drivers will worsen.
The huge delays to the issuing of provisional licences by the DVLA, the problems getting medicals, freezing of recruitment in the past 18 months and huge numbers of EU nationals leaving the UK are, I would suggest, at least as significant as rising wages in the HGV sector.

Once some of these issues start resolving themselves the shortages should start easing and reversing. Not every bus driver has an HGV licence or wants to get one.

KGGXXXY

Definitely Driver shortages this week! Twice I've been on a bus that has to change drivers; St Enoch - Howard street and tonight at Glasgow Cross. twice no shows for the changeover and driver has said everybody off no driver.

The St Enoch one was chatting to another driver who was talking to passengers too; reasons given for shortages being covid, pings, and going off to be truck drivers for more money.

Tonight's one got dogs abuse off one passenger. but the others understood, I can see why many would just go off for more money and not having to deal with the public.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Definitely Driver shortages this week! Twice I've been on a bus that has to change drivers; St Enoch - Howard street and tonight at Glasgow Cross. twice no shows for the changeover and driver has said everybody off no driver.

The St Enoch one was chatting to another driver who was talking to passengers too; reasons given for shortages being covid, pings, and going off to be truck drivers for more money.

Tonight's one got dogs abuse off one passenger. but the others understood, I can see why many would just go off for more money and not having to deal with the public.
I've been quite lucky to have to deal with zero no shows yet but just going by what I heard drivers mention today Scotstoun and Caledonia depots definitely seem to be badly affected. I know Blantyre were also having issues too but not been out that way for a while to know how bad it is. I feel for drivers at this point. Covid has brought the worst out of the public so it's probably one of the worst jobs to do at the current time.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
It's anything up to 6 months currently for the DVLA to issue a provisional licence. It's affecting other sectors too, especially those that need PVG (Protecting Vulnerable Groups) checks.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
So, essentially we have the following reasons for the current shortage of bus drivers:
  • The "pingdemic" and drivers having to self-isolate
  • A backlog of candidates waiting for driving tests
  • Drivers leaving to go and drive lorries
We know that the first two reasons are also affecting HGV driver numbers, as well as drivers from mainland Europe not returning. I know that there are quite a few bus drivers around here who came over from Eastern Europe - has there been any noticeable decrease in other areas with drivers heading back to their home countries?

kez19

Established Member
Currently in Newcastle via the Go North East app they advise that they too are having shortages. Credit where credit's due, they tell you which times are affected or buses terminate early.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Currently in Newcastle via the Go North East app they advise that they too are having shortages. Credit where credit's due, they tell you which times are affected or buses terminate early.
If First Glasgow's Twitter is anything to go by they're supposedly working on something similar. The app hasn't been great for the past month to be fair though so whether it happens or not remains to be seen. It's something that's essential currently with how bad the driver shortage everywhere seems to be.

Christmas

There are many PCV licence holders who, for one reason or another, have left the bus industry but who still hold a valid driving licence. The problem is that many of these people cannot drive a bus commercially as they do not hold the utterly useless CPC part of the licence required to carry passengers.
The government needs to ditch this pointless obstacle now to allow these people to return to driving buses sooner.

Goldfish62

Established Member
So, essentially we have the following reasons for the current shortage of bus drivers:
  • The "pingdemic" and drivers having to self-isolate
  • A backlog of candidates waiting for driving tests
  • Drivers leaving to go and drive lorries
We know that the first two reasons are also affecting HGV driver numbers, as well as drivers from mainland Europe not returning. I know that there are quite a few bus drivers around here who came over from Eastern Europe - has there been any noticeable decrease in other areas with drivers heading back to their home countries?
Surely there is no pingdemic anymore given that double vaccinated people, of which 81% of adults are, are no longer required to self-isolate when pinged.

It's estimated that 1.3m overseas nationals have left the UK since Brexit so that has bound to have created issues in areas of the country which have traditionally had a reliance on recruiting foreign nationals.

Then there's the fact that since March 2020 routine recruitment has been practically zero given that services were trimmed back and staff put on furlough. In contrast staff continued to leave the industry through all the usual natural wastage reasons.

There's also Covid in terms of actually having or having to self isolate due to contact through Test and Trace (not the same as being pinged).

So yes, it's a whole combination of reasons.

Dai Corner

Established Member
This is only rumour and speculation of course, but the other day a bus driver told me that they may be allowed to drive Class 2 HGVs with their existing licences.

With pay being much better in that industry he felt many drivers would make the switch.

carlberry

Established Member
This is only rumour and speculation of course, but the other day a bus driver told me that they may be allowed to drive Class 2 HGVs with their existing licences.

With pay being much better in that industry he felt many drivers would make the switch.
I think it was something that the government were either consulting on or putting out as a suggestion. It's a classic bodge in the hope that it'll get rid of all the negative headlines about empty shelves and replace them with a few stories about missing buses that the government can blame bus companies or local authorities for.

cnjb8

Established Member
Kinchbus in Loughborough have been really badly affected, with just 7 out of their 30 or so fleet working as there is simply no drivers to drive them!

Ken H

On Moderation
Kinchbus in Loughborough have been really badly affected, with just 7 out of their 30 or so fleet working as there is simply no drivers to drive them!
Are bus companies actually short of staff, or are many not at work for some reason? Is there a rash of self isolating?

MDB1images

Blackpool Transport putting in an emergency timetable from Sun 19th Sep blaming it on a shortage of drivers.
Looks like it's a return to the COVID timetable on some routes(or: every 20mins instead of 15 or every 30mins instead of every 15).they say they are doing this to ensure the timetable actually runs(currently they are getting cancellations on some routes).
The Trams are unaffected.

MotCO

Established Member
Blackpool Transport putting in an emergency timetable from Sun 19th Sep blaming it on a shortage of drivers.
Looks like it's a return to the COVID timetable on some routes(or: every 20mins instead of 15 or every 30mins instead of every 15).they say they are doing this to ensure the timetable actually runs(currently they are getting cancellations on some routes).
The Trams are unaffected.

Are short term timetable changes (for Covid) still possible?

I also assume that this means new routes will be put on the back-burner. Is there alao a shortage in London - I can imagine that contract changes may be hard to resource. (PS I am aware that there are also tendered bus services outside London :s)

TUC

Established Member
A very large part of this and the HGV issue link back to the DVLA's laziness and lack of urgency in getting licrnces proceeded.

As with so many other organisations, Covid only made visible and amplified what a failure they already were.

Alfie1014

It's the same in Essex. Headingam have had to reduce services in Tendring (especially around Clacton), quoting the loss of a number of drivers. First in Essex have been suffering particularly badly for some time at Basildon and, to a lesser extent, around Southend and Chelmsford.

Eyersey468

Established Member
East Yorkshire are also very short of drivers and are going onto emergency timetables on some routes.

DunsBus

Established Member
Borders Buses are currently running enhanced emergency timetables. They had an online seminar last week at which they explained to passengers that the reason these timetables are still in force is down to the driver shortage.

Last edited:

northernchris

Established Member
It seems most operators have insufficient drivers at the moment, but why has this caught so many by surprise? It has only been since the schools went back that it's become an issue, yet surely the companies would know how many drivers were needed and could have matched the timetables to staff availability. In West Yorkshire there were service changes in the first week of September so the opportunity was there to implement achievable timetables. Instead there's mass cancellations and full buses when one does turn up.

It's clearly affecting driver morale too; I've encountered 2 extremely rude drivers this week alone who can't seem to handle running late and take their frustrations out on passengers and motorists. This must also be having an impact on those volunteering for overtime or are considering leaving the industry. This will cause more disruption, and the longer the disruption continues the more passengers will lose confidence in the bus and look for other ways to travel. Its a perfect storm and one I can't see improving for some time yet.

LancasterRed

While they haven't publicised issues relating to driver shortage, there is unhappiness at Preston Bus regarding the new service 100 being unviable to keep to time, among generally being badly run.

Blackpool Transport I imagine is more down to a 'pingdemic', in some cases solidarity and some misfortune. As far as I understand it BPT is a very good company to work for and imagine they could get drivers in from other local companies.

carlberry

Established Member
It seems most operators have insufficient drivers at the moment, but why has this caught so many by surprise? Its only been since the schools went back its become an issue yet surely the companies would know how many drivers were needed and could have matched the timetables to staff availability. In West Yorkshire they were service changes in the first week of September so the opportunity was there to implement achievable timetables, instead there's mass cancellations and full buses when one does turn up
Matching timetables to staff availability is what bus companies do day in and day out, usually using overtime and office staff driving (when qualified). Bus companies are always short staffed; the difference now is half a years cancelled tests that have reduced the flow of drivers in and issues at Swansea meaning even the paperwork isn't available to get drivers into the process. However they were even coping with that until the most recent wave which is the endless media stories about how much lorry drivers can now earn meaning that any dual qualified driver has suddenly decided to up sticks and walk. That has been the final straw and every bus company is no working out which services it needs to drop, at the same time as trying to deal with the next driver who's been offered a big bung to HGVs.

anthony263

Established Member
South Wales Transport are covering trips on some routes around Swansea from Sunday, as well as taking over some services all together, such as the 19 swansea to uplands circular.

MotCO

Established Member
Are 'unnecessary' routes being cancelled - I'm thinking of open top tour buses which, while potentially more lucrative than normal stage fare buses, aren't essential to run. The season will be ending soon anyway.

pepperpot80

A couple of conversations I've had recently might be of interest:
  • There have been drivers still on furlough up to this point, and it transpires that when those drivers were brought off furlough, to bring services up to last 10-20 duties, some of these handed in their notice
  • If you're a new trainee waiting on your provisional PCV, and you've finished the initial set of classroom / route-learning days, you're then in the position of being unable to work, and (more importantly) unable to progress off of the training wage, and possibly being suspended until that licence arrives. If you've been waiting a month or two for this, you might well find other employment in the interim. Currently the DVLA wait is apparently 2 weeks (down from 9-12), but add a week for postage and faff, and it will still really bite.
  • Even without the above, the DVLA issue is still just delaying your pipeline of new drivers
  • Someone else has already mentioned the issue of getting tests, too, if you don't have an examiner on staff
  • There's still a definite preference for trainees over experience, for better or worse (not getting into this argument now), so some operators' 'pipelines' of new drivers are disproportionately trainees.
  • While most renewals don't take a driver off the road, some do, and those that do are usually related to medicals, and getting a medical from your GP has proven challenging. With the DVSA still only just processing July's renewals, that will put some drivers in a very difficult position
  • Those golden handshakes from supermarkets, ports, hauliers, etc. are certainly proving tempting to those that can adjust their lifestyles...
  • ...but bear in mind that the bus drivers' Ts&Cs mean lots of long days, split shifts, short rest, few weekends, etc... so often the new role is actually preferable, with better pay and conditions even excluding the handshake.
Self-isolation is much less of an issue since the Aug. 19 change in guidance for those who are doubly vaccinated, and vaccine uptake amongst all staff - not just drivers - has been relatively high. It's still going to be a problem for some individuals, but it's much less of a problem than the above.

There's also been differing guidance on how operators should be scheduling their service in this uncertainty: if you schedule to driver availability, week-to-week, you may bring your balance of commercial-vs-supported mileage down to the point where your funding package needs to go back to DfT & Treasury for approval. Recently the guidance has been to schedule your normal, planned service, as if you had a full establishment of drivers: that way you don't change what you've planned (and agreed funding for), but you have to take the hit on the performance side, with passengers and ultimately the DVSA. The DVSA will be aware that this is the guidance, but will be (rightly) faced with the weight of passenger opinion about inaccurate printed timetables, overwhelming lateness, shrinking networks, dropping frequencies, lifeline buses being late / lost, and a generally poor experience for those "coming back to bus".

It's a poor situation to being but as others have alluded in this thread, it's simply a perfect storm hitting the industry's areas of weakness, and uncovering them, all at once.

In some respects there is some positivity: if you're able to employ, then your pipeline will replace what you've lost. Passenger numbers are returning, and funding packages are aiming to protect and strengthen services. So long term, there's some confidence. But if PCV driving remains as unattractive in the light of the rest of the employment market, or the pool of employees dwindles further, operators and passengers are facing a tough winter.

London is a very different kettle of fish with a very different labour market. Not saying it's going to be unscathed, but the operators are larger, better resourced, and used to being insulated by contracts from uncertainty: the pain there will likely take a different shape, likely in the form of TfL funding.

Goldfish62

Established Member
A couple of conversations I've had recently might be of interest:
  • There have been drivers still on furlough up to this point, and it transpires that when those drivers were brought off furlough, to bring services up to last 10-20 duties, some of these handed in their notice
  • If you're a new trainee waiting on your provisional PCV, and you've finished the initial set of classroom / route-learning days, you're then in the position of being unable to work, and (more importantly) unable to progress off of the training wage, and possibly being suspended until that licence arrives. If you've been waiting a month or two for this, you might well find other employment in the interim. Currently the DVLA wait is apparently 2 weeks (down from 9-12), but add a week for postage and faff, and it will still really bite.
  • Even without the above, the DVLA issue is still just delaying your pipeline of new drivers
  • Someone else has already mentioned the issue of getting tests, too, if you don't have an examiner on staff
  • There's still a definite preference for trainees over experience, for better or worse (not getting into this argument now), so some operators' 'pipelines' of new drivers are disproportionately trainees.
  • While most renewals don't take a driver off the road, some do, and those that do are usually related to medicals, and getting a medical from your GP has proven challenging. With the DVSA still only just processing July's renewals, that will put some drivers in a very difficult position
  • Those golden handshakes from supermarkets, ports, hauliers, etc. are certainly proving tempting to those that can adjust their lifestyles...
  • ...but bear in mind that the bus drivers' Ts&Cs mean lots of long days, split shifts, short rest, few weekends, etc... so often the new role is actually preferable, with better pay and conditions even excluding the handshake.
Self-isolation is much less of an issue since the Aug. 19 change in guidance for those who are doubly vaccinated, and vaccine uptake amongst all staff - not just drivers - has been relatively high. It's still going to be a problem for some individuals, but it's much less of a problem than the above.

There's also been differing guidance on how operators should be scheduling their service in this uncertainty: if you schedule to driver availability, week-to-week, you may bring your balance of commercial-vs-supported mileage down to the point where your funding package needs to go back to DfT & Treasury for approval. Recently the guidance has been to schedule your normal, planned service, as if you had a full establishment of drivers: that way you don't change what you've planned (and agreed funding for), but you have to take the hit on the performance side, with passengers and ultimately the DVSA. The DVSA will be aware that this is the guidance, but will be (rightly) faced with the weight of passenger opinion about inaccurate printed timetables, overwhelming lateness, shrinking networks, dropping frequencies, lifeline buses being late / lost, and a generally poor experience for those "coming back to bus".

It's a poor situation to being but as others have alluded in this thread, it's simply a perfect storm hitting the industry's areas of weakness, and uncovering them, all at once.

In some respects there is some positivity: if you're able to employ, then your pipeline will replace what you've lost. Passenger numbers are returning, and funding packages are aiming to protect and strengthen services. So long term, there's some confidence. But if PCV driving remains as unattractive in the light of the rest of the employment market, or the pool of employees dwindles further, operators and passengers are facing a tough winter.

London is a very different kettle of fish with a very different labour market. Not saying it's going to be unscathed, but the operators are larger, better resourced, and used to being insulated by contracts from uncertainty: the pain there will likely take a different shape, likely in the form of TfL funding.
Excellent insight - thanks for posting.

Ken H

On Moderation
One wonder how many staff will come off furlough, get fired, and walk into a boyant job market. May resolve the vacancy problem across the board a little. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.