• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Drivers - Would you recommend it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure from what you’ve just said whether you are encouraging or discouraging a bus driving career. Band 3 seems to be about 21k a year. Surely buses pay better ? But as this is a railforum - didn’t a job driving trains appeal at all?
Ha, yes, I see what you mean, just trying to bring a bit of realism to the thread.

Regarding trains, pre 1986 we were on the same ( very good) money as the Metro drivers, it was easy to transfer but few did. Lord how I wish I had now, green eyed monster and all that. Now bus driving is less than half with way worse conditions.

Band 3 starts at 21k but every year it goes up, the hours are 37.5 for that 21k, we worked a 4 day week, decent overtime rates, there is extra money for weekend, nights, and unsocial hours, decent pension at 55, there is way more opportunity for advancement and they treat you like a human being. People I started with were band 6 in a few years, top band 6 with enhancements is serious money.

Many of my colleague's who had only ever worked in the NHS were always moaning about how tough they had It, compared to the buses it was money for old rope.

The difference is mind blowing.

If the OP is looking at it as a stepping stone to the rail I industry it might help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I've heard good things too. What job did you go on to do? Many say it's not an easy job to move on from.

Sounds like you've got a good thing going on there

I'm now a property maintenance assistant.

It wasn't easy re-adjusting my body clock, but I got there in the end.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I’ve been a driver for almost 6 years and still enjoy it. You will need to work a variety of shifts and weekends/bank holidays. If you enjoy driving and human interaction then it’s great. There will be times when disruption causes big delays and passengers/road users want to argue with you. Depending on the route/location this varies. you get routes or towns where everyone is lovely but some routes you’re invisible to passengers until the want to ask a question or complain. Fortunately these are in a minority so it is a lovely job 90% of the time. Just don’t stress, stay calm and deal with every situation as it comes.

Aictos

Established Member
One question I have about the training is learning the routes, how do they do this? Do they expect you to learn all the routes straight away or do they put you on 2 or 3 routes to start off with?

darloscott

I've heard good things too. What job did you go on to do? Many say it's not an easy job to move on from.

Sounds like you've got a good thing going on there
I certainly enjoy where I am at now. As others have said the job is as easy or as hard as you want to make it for yourself, personally I think driving around all day is one of the easiest jobs in the world. Sure some days are more challenging than others but generally 80-90% of the time it's fine. Maybe I've been lucky but I've not had any major passenger issues in my 11 years... but some drivers seem to go out looking for trouble and then whinge about it...!

Eyersey468

Established Member
I certainly enjoy where I am at now. As others have said the job is as easy or as hard as you want to make it for yourself, personally I think driving around all day is one of the easiest jobs in the world. Sure some days are more challenging than others but generally 80-90% of the time it's fine. Maybe I've been lucky but I've not had any major passenger issues in my 11 years... but some drivers seem to go out looking for trouble and then whinge about it...!
I agree with this. I can't think of any major passenger issues I have had in my time on the buses.

arbeia

20 odd years ago when an Inspector, I was having a session with my then Manager. A vacancy for promotion from driver to Inspector had come up. He asked me my opinion of the drivers who had applied. One driver, i told him was not an ounce of trouble. So immediately, my Manager ruled him out. Reason? Any driver with 20 years service that DOESN'T have a mark on his record, is just not doing his job properly! I kid you not.

Gloster

Established Member
From the view of a passenger, in around seventeen years of using the bus at least twice a day, seven days a week, I can only think of one serious problem with a passenger: a drunk shouting abuse from his seat, which resulted in us waiting at a stop until the police arrived. (Even in this case it might have been better to continue to the bus station, where assistance would have been available if he really kicked off, but the driver was one of the few who seemed to lack judgement and interpersonal skills.)

Other than that you get people who annoy other passengers, but not so much that the driver has to intervene: he merely has to keep an eye on the situation. There are also the grumblers: most of these are fairly small scale and quickly get it off their chest. There are a few, usually those with the least justified complaints, who go on a bit, but if the driver lets it ride, they run out of steam and go away (muttering). I should make it clear that I don’t travel late at night and the Isle of Wight does not have (m)any rough areas.

Last edited:

notadriver

Established Member
20 odd years ago when an Inspector, I was having a session with my then Manager. A vacancy for promotion from driver to Inspector had come up. He asked me my opinion of the drivers who had applied. One driver, i told him was not an ounce of trouble. So immediately, my Manager ruled him out. Reason? Any driver with 20 years service that DOESN'T have a mark on his record, is just not doing his job properly! I kid you not.

what is the salary of an inspector nowadays? Which job is better bus inspector or train driver?

Class2ldn

Driving buses was crap 15-20 years ago, and I doubt it's got any better. It may well depend where you're driving; in London it is a nightmare.

On the flip side if you can get on to coaches like NX etc its a totally different job generally. It's still not the greatest job but definitely better. If my job as a train driver ended I'd definitely consider going back coach driving. Bus driving on city routes - not a chance lol. As others have said you'll either love it or hate it but it is a pretty solid steady job so no harm in giving it a go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Bus driving is ok in small doses. Generally can't stand ding ding work. I'm a much bigger fan of long distance intercity coach driving. Would highly recommend that. You are dealing with a better standard of passenger, far better vehicles, only a few stops per shifts and likely paid throughout your shift including break. If you can get perks like a D+E trailer license too it all adds on to what you have

PG

Established Member
I've one thing to add to all the good advice given by previous posters and it is about holidays.

Most larger operators (including Stagecoach) roster drivers into fixed holiday blocks so you won't be able to waltz up and say I need 3 weeks off next August as we're going to Disneyland or I can't work over Xmas as we're going to be away. Sure you may be able to get a swap of blocks with other drivers but some blocks are obviously more desirable.

Depending on how your lifestyle is this can be about bearable or a home wrecker if you are never/rarely off at the same time as a partner or always working during school holidays.

EDIT:
In addition as a new starter you may well be on a spare rota covering for gaps in the main rota(s) and thus not be allocated to a holiday block at all, instead getting maybe a weeks notice that you're on holiday in a weeks time.

Last edited:

BVW

Bus driving is as stressful as you want it to be, if you race around trying to keep unrealistic times and bite when other motorists or passengers are trying to wind you up then it will be stressful. If you can let this all wash over you or better still, give it back in a manner that won't come back to bite you, it can be great!
You've cracked it when you can tell somebody with an attitude to Foxtrot Oscar in such a way that they end up thanking you for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.